Pizza

Fish Folk

This should be the shortest thread on the entire CARE Forum. My subject is simple: Pizza. What have I to share? Only the premier instructions on exactly how it should be made. Here you go.

Anything else, whatever it’s pretensions, does not deserve the name. If no one at your favorite pizzeria has immediate family in Naples... then no, sorry. Remember the MATRIX? Everything you think you know about the greatest food on planet earth has been an illusion.

On 6/27/2021 at 4:09 PM, sudofish said:

I'm thankfully not a picky eater. I've never had bad pizza. That's not really a thing. Now my dad on the other hand eats like a small child. He won't hardly eat anything. I'd hate to be like that.

I am the small, idyllic child, persuaded that only perfect pizza is worthy of the appellation. It is an act of pure justice to throw an unholy tantrum whenever anything inferior is served. Every imposter pizzeria should be culled.

• Haha 3

I've only had 1 terrible pizza.   While traveling, I split one with a friend who likes really spicy food. The Jalapeno topped pizza was all pain.  Judging by the sweat running down his forehead, he thought it was pretty good.

• Haha 2

I offer the other end of the pizza spectrum.

Under no circumstances, no matter how long it's been or how much you crave for a taste of home in a developing country. Do not give in to Cambodia "street pizza." 

Trust me. 

• Haha 2

I would concur insofar as Napoli pies are concerned. We order them from Naples periodically. We order pies from all over the country and from Italy. 

Although I would add that what qualifies as great pizza is dependent upon the style. As much as I love true Neapolitan pies, it would be a disservice to ignore the spectacular variations that Napoli pies birthed. 

To my knowledge, there are four major cities in the world that are particularly renowned for their pizza; Naples, New York, Chicago and Buenos Aires. In the US, smaller towns renowned for their pizza styles exist like New Haven CT, known for “abeetz” (which my grandparents from Italy made all the time) or the shops in Old Forge PA where Roman Style pies are available on each block in downtown.

Napoli Style is light, airy, simple and sublime in delicate flavor. It cooks hot and fast.

NY Style is legendary. Heavier than Napoli style but still light and thin. A rigid, usually long proofed crust, crushed tomatoes and buffalo mutz and it’s a perfection available on almost every block in the city.

Chicago Style is really more of a casserole than an actual pizza. To my taste, it trounces the rest handily-and I’m from NYC! A thick, buttery, yeasty crust houses a mountain of buffalo mutz and topped with crushed tomatoes, it’s a holiday in your mouth.

Buenos Aires Style is glorious but not for everyone. Typically, it has thick, chewy crusts with almost frightening amounts of garlic and onions and NO sauce, but rather, sliced tomatoes. An Argentine Fugazetta is a true stuffed pizza with a mix of cheeses that is nothing short of sublime. In the city, it is common to have “pizza adoba” sprinkled on it which is pepper, garlic and cumin (typically).

There are few foods that have birthed more variations than pizza. In the Quad Cities, pizzas can be dill or even pickle based to amazing effect or in Colorado with great, thick pies with massive crusts to be torn off and dipped in honey as dessert. There’s really so many and if food is well prepared, I welcome influences and variations on a theme…so long as I can always get my old fashioned NY street slice!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 6/29/2021 at 11:17 AM, dasaltemelosguy said:

I would concur insofar as Napoli pies are concerned. We order them from Naples periodically. We order pies from all over the country and from Italy. 

Although I would add that what qualifies as great pizza is dependent upon the style. As much as I love true Neapolitan pies, it would be a disservice to ignore the spectacular variations that Napoli pies birthed. 

To my knowledge, there are four major cities in the world that are particularly renowned for their pizza; Naples, New York, Chicago and Buenos Aires. In the US, smaller towns renowned for their pizza styles exist like New Haven CT, known for “abeetz” (which my grandparents from Italy made all the time) or the shops in Old Forge PA where Roman Style pies are available on each block in downtown.

Napoli Style is light, airy, simple and sublime in delicate flavor. It cooks hot and fast.

NY Style is legendary. Heavier than Napoli style but still light and thin. A rigid, usually long proofed crust, crushed tomatoes and buffalo mutz and it’s a perfection available on almost every block in the city.

Chicago Style is really more of a casserole than an actual pizza. To my taste, it trounces the rest handily-and I’m from NYC! A thick, buttery, yeasty crust houses a mountain of buffalo mutz and topped with crushed tomatoes, it’s a holiday in your mouth.

Buenos Aires Style is glorious but not for everyone. Typically, it has thick, chewy crusts with almost frightening amounts of garlic and onions and NO sauce, but rather, sliced tomatoes. An Argentine Fugazetta is a true stuffed pizza with a mix of cheeses that is nothing short of sublime. In the city, it is common to have “pizza adoba” sprinkled on it which is pepper, garlic and cumin (typically).

There are few foods that have birthed more variations than pizza. In the Quad Cities, pizzas can be dill or even pickle based to amazing effect or in Colorado with great, thick pies with massive crusts to be torn off and dipped in honey as dessert. There’s really so many and if food is well prepared, I welcome influences and variations on a theme…so long as I can always get my old fashioned NY street slice!

Indeed, as with aquatics, there are many  interesting hybrids.

But they should not be sold to uninitiated customers.

Appreciate the genuine article first. Then go out ... “oh the places you will go!” ... journey far and wide ... explore every undiscovered culinary country ...

Then sober up, and come home. To The Godfather of pizza.

On 6/29/2021 at 6:30 PM, Alexa said:

Floppy slice of NY cheese pizza: 12/10

Every other pizza: 10/10

Case closed, thread locked! 🔒 

There is a strong case for this!

Now, the challenge is whether the NY pizza is properly Neapolitan or just a cheese bake.

If it looks like this, then there is hope:

ADC6C7F6-5BF5-46E5-A811-A9657B93DA12.jpeg.d6875024ce73b2971c70205e81a198ea.jpeg

But if it looks like this, then — even though it may be your childhood trance — it will come to no good in the end:

1C2EBC0E-0F3C-4741-8F2A-B9FDE912E5F3.jpeg.2dcbaefcfd2de89189075caac2892196.jpeg

• Like 1

On 6/29/2021 at 7:01 PM, Taco Playz said:

Hands down 😌 hawaiian pizza is my favorite. Probably from dominoes. 😂

EVERYONE is most welcome to their favorite desserts! Vegetable pans! Heart-attack-on-a-dish loaf! WHATEVER!!!

But mark this:  I T   I S   N O T   P I Z Z A

• Haha 2

On 6/29/2021 at 8:25 PM, Streetwise said:

I enjoy pineapple on pizza if it is paired with a dry protein like certain sausage varieties.

The bad reputation for pineapple is when it is combined with grease, oil, or too much fat, such as with pepperoni.

only way to do pineapple is with ham or canadian bacon.

• Love 1

On 6/29/2021 at 9:25 PM, Streetwise said:

I enjoy pineapple on pizza if it is paired with a dry protein like certain sausage varieties.

The bad reputation for pineapple is when it is combined with grease, oil, or too much fat, such as with pepperoni.

I love pineapple.

I love pizza.

There is no harm done in serving fresh rings of sun-ripened pineapple on one dish alongside a separate tray of Neapolitan pizza.

But to top pizza with pineapple... VAR says, upon review, Red Card!!  

Pineapple and canadian bacon all the way. 😄 

My fav is from Mellow Mushroom, a pizza chain here in the south that usually themes it's restaurants. Our local one is space themed because we're a NASA town, and it is one of my happy places. Their Mighty Meaty is the best.

• Like 3

I don’t like pineapple on pizza, but if it’s my only option, best believe I will eat it… pizza is better than no pizza… However I am intrigued by an infamous pineapple/jalapeño/olive combo. 🤔 I will try and report back!

On 6/30/2021 at 3:07 PM, Alexa said:

I don’t like pineapple on pizza, but if it’s my only option, best believe I will eat it… pizza is better than no pizza… However I am intrigued by an infamous pineapple/jalapeño/olive combo. 🤔 I will try and report back!

Alternatively... you could try Pizza! 🙃

• Haha 2

On 5/7/2021 at 11:21 PM, James Black said:

On 6/30/2021 at 9:39 AM, H.K.Luterman said:

Pineapple and canadian bacon all the way. 😄 

My fav is from Mellow Mushroom, a pizza chain here in the south that usually themes it's restaurants. Our local one is space themed because we're a NASA town, and it is one of my happy places. Their Mighty Meaty is the best.

Yes 👏. I love mellow yellow