Daniel

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

Is Eco-Complete inert? It seems from the packaging that it must contain nutrients. Why does Eco-Complete allow you to load up on fertilizer?

Don't know if this is one of the questions that got brought up in the live stream. I didn't get to watch because I just got home from work. 

An inert substrate is any substrate that doesn't impact water parameters. That doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't have any nutrients, just that it doesn't leach said nutrients into the water column. There's a lot of debate as to how available (if at all) the nutrients in inert substrates is to plants. 

I don't have any experience with Eco-Complete, but my substrate of choice (mineralized topsoil) is mostly inert when prepared correctly. The mineralized topsoil in my experience has a noticeable benefit to plant growth but doesn't supply nitrogen and doesn't put much nutrients into the water column so I still use easy green

On the other hand crushed coral is not an inert substrate because it has a noticeable impact on water parameters. I don't think it would do much to enhance plant growth by itself though. 

6 minutes ago, Cory said:

Unlikely we'll do stuff on tiktok. It's hard to be on many platforms and youtube will take over tiktok, they are already beta testing the features just like tiktok in India that'll go world wide. 

Thanksk to all who showed up and sorry I didn't get to all the question. Got a little hectic there 😉

@Cory I’m just thankful you host this forum.  A little safe corner in the World Wide Web where we can support our fellow Addicts, um I mean hobbiest 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Daniel said:

I wonder what the LD50 is on chocolate milk and donuts?

I'm pretty sure it's just over half of a carton chocolate milk and just over half of a box of donuts per slightly older person. Kids it's much higher.

• Haha 1

I just finished listening to the most recent live stream and what Cory said at the end about wanting to change the hobby so more people make fish friends just warmed the cockles of my heart. Cory, you’re doing that right here! I love this forum—you all are my fish friends! 😊 And it makes the hobby so much more fun.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, KlaasjeD said:

Hi, I am new to this forum. Can we be informed when the live streams are?

Yes, nothing official though. Usually the Livestreams are on Mondays at 6:00 pm Eastern Standard Time (but not always). For me, I find out when I get a notification from YouTube that there is an imminent Livestream coming up. If you subscribe to the Aquarium Co-Op YouTube channel and click the notification bell icon, you too will get the pre-golive notification

On 11/26/2020 at 1:19 PM, Daniel said:

I wonder what is the key to a low maintenance aquarium, something that you could walk away from for a month and when you can back everything would be okay?

Every tank I have an auto feeder on will self-sustain for 2 weeks to a month after the feeder runs out.  The only real issue is that water evaporates rather quickly, even with well fitting lids.  I use no filters, all community tanks with fish, plants, snails, and most have shrimp.  I have pretty regular guppy, platy, endler, and bristlenose fry and productive cherry shrimp.  Most have been established for over a year.  Would that meet your question's criteria?

On 11/26/2020 at 2:40 PM, Daniel said:

I multitask while watching the livestream. I also hangout on the forum. If anyone one is up for it, we can talk about the livestream amongst ourselves (which starts in a little less than 20 minutes).

I wish I was like you. I've tried this, but then I miss something Cory says. I have to stay on YT watching him....otherwise, I'll have to go back to the recorded version, and watch again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...