Hi, I'm Irene πŸ˜€

Irene

Hi, I'm Irene, and I work asΒ a Content Strategist at Aquarium Co-Op where I write blog posts, make videos, and create all sorts of marketing content!Β I got into fish keeping because my son became interested in my friend's Glofish tank. That friend offered to buy him a betta fish for his birthday, so I decided to some research on bettas. We ended up getting our first family aquarium, I started getting more fish, and eventually I began a YouTube channel called Girl Talks Fish to help beginners learn from my mistakes. Because weΒ don't have a lot of space in our home, I'm mostly interested in nano fish and planted tanks. I currently have a 20-gallon planted community tank, 10-gallon breeding tank, and a 10-gallon plastic tub for quarantining new fish and doing experiments.

Irene's display tank.jpg

• Like 10

48 minutes ago, Lizzie Block said:

Irene! Your tank is awesome, love your big bunch of java fern in the right hand corner! Sweet πŸ™‚

Thanks! I bought it from Greg Sage, the rare livebearer breeder/seller in our area, and it's perfect for hiding my sponge filter. 😁

Irene! You are famous in my house! A gamer's wife....thought caught my husband's ear.Β  My son just loves you videos.Β  I told him you're like Murphy's manager....Too bad we're East Coast.

• Like 1

beautiful tank! I'm curious, is that a green background? I've never cared much whether my tanks had backgrounds...until I put one on my guppy tank. I have the perfect background ideas in my head for two of my tanks, and I can't really seem to find them anywhere without them costing a small fortune to have custom made. I'm not a fan of most of the common designs out there though. Do you have any thoughts on different backgrounds? I have watched the video on the store page about sewing plants onto a material for a background...not really a fan of that idea either... I'm just flat out too lazy for that mess. Anyways, I love your advice, yours and Cory's videos are incredibly helpful.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2020 at 9:36 PM, Angelndisguise2277 said:

beautiful tank! I'm curious, is that a green background? I've never cared much whether my tanks had backgrounds...until I put one on my guppy tank. I have the perfect background ideas in my head for two of my tanks, and I can't really seem to find them anywhere without them costing a small fortune to have custom made. I'm not a fan of most of the common designs out there though. Do you have any thoughts on different backgrounds? I have watched the video on the store page about sewing plants onto a material for a background...not really a fan of that idea either... I'm just flat out too lazy for that mess. Anyways, I love your advice, yours and Cory's videos are incredibly helpful.

Haha, there's actually a black poster board taped on the outside, but then I decided to let green, flat algae growΒ on the back pane for my algae eaters. I should probably clean it off one day and shock my viewers. πŸ˜‰

• Haha 1

*Irene, I don't buy the premise that a nice brilliant green field of algae such as yours is unattractive, but given that attractiveness is in the eye of the beholder, to each his own. As you note above, that algae makes for a better environment for your fish (presumably our goal). I suspect you might feel the same as you haven't cleaned it away yet. πŸ™‚

@Bill Smith likes sci-fi dioramas and dramatic set pieces, @MickS77 goes for a blackwater biotope, @Streetwise has carefully landscaped small vignettes. Who knows, maybe algae-scaping is the next fashion? @Irene, show us the way!

Edited by Daniel
*Irene, the nabob of non-vascular flora, the Γ©minence grise of green, the doyenne of dulse
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1