Liquid gold!!!

So today was my best hatch ever with the Aquarium Co-op brine shrimp eggs. I’ve heard they are now back in stock. The difference for me with this hatch is using a new product that I’ve been testing for the Co-op. Not going to say it is right yet cause there is still testing to be done. 

The Gold Standard of brine shrimp eggs. Just sayin’

39DC96E4-2785-42C3-BC99-EA209672587B.jpeg

• Like 10

I was not getting nearly the hatch rate with the Coop eggs as I was with the other major brand, let's call it brand X but we all know it is. Hopefully the secret test will help more but I have gotten it up with a few tricks.

1) they like it hot, if I get it up to around 84 degrees they hatch more.

2) they like more minerals and adding Epsom salt in with the rock salt helps. I am still not getting the same hatch rate.

3) don't overfill the amount of eggs, I hatch 3/4 to 1 teaspoon at most in 1L of water. This is in my standard 1.5L soda bottle hanging setup which is identical to Dean's old setup.

I am still not getting the same hatch rate but with the better egg separation its still worth it. My hope is Dean's secret test is not marine salt. I need to pay $5 for 20lbs of salt (big box store pure rock salt) not $20 for 20lbs of marine salt which is the price I see online.

3 minutes ago, Hobbit said:

I’m using sea salt from the grocery store to hatch my brine shrimp. I wonder how different it is from marine salt.

Not much really. But since I can pickup a 5 gallon bucket of Instant Ocean reef salt also fairly inexpensively, I use the reef salt. My totally unproved theory is that whatever the extra trace elements that are in the reef salt will eventually end up in my aquariums and these extra trace elements are a good thing. I not only don't rinse, I don't even separate the bbs from the hatching water.

So this is what goes into my aquariums:

20200805_3123.JPG.ca0fdfab2358ffa940a87e

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Not much really. But since I can pickup a 5 gallon bucket of Instant Ocean reef salt also fairly inexpensively, I use the reef salt. My totally unproved theory is that whatever the extra trace elements that are in the reef salt will eventually end up in my aquariums and these extra trace elements are a good thing. I not only don't rinse, I don't even separate the bbs from the hatching water.

So this is what goes into my aquariums:

20200805_3123.JPG.ca0fdfab2358ffa940a87e

a lfs employee mentioned taking some of water from his reef tank for his shrimp and plants 

also what salinity do you use and do you think red sea salt would work similar 

3 minutes ago, quirkylemon103 said:

a lfs employee mentioned taking some of water from his reef tank for his shrimp and plants 

also what salinity do you use and do you think red sea salt would work similar 

I don't know my salinity. What I use is 2 tablespoons of reef salt per 1 liter cone. And yes, I think any marine salt like the Red Sea salt would work just as well if not better. Instant Ocean is pretty low end.

2 hours ago, pedrofisk said:

I was not getting nearly the hatch rate with the Coop eggs as I was with the other major brand, let's call it brand X but we all know it is. Hopefully the secret test will help more but I have gotten it up with a few tricks.

1) they like it hot, if I get it up to around 84 degrees they hatch more.

2) they like more minerals and adding Epsom salt in with the rock salt helps. I am still not getting the same hatch rate.

3) don't overfill the amount of eggs, I hatch 3/4 to 1 teaspoon at most in 1L of water. This is in my standard 1.5L soda bottle hanging setup which is identical to Dean's old setup.

I am still not getting the same hatch rate but with the better egg separation its still worth it. My hope is Dean's secret test is not marine salt. I need to pay $5 for 20lbs of salt (big box store pure rock salt) not $20 for 20lbs of marine salt which is the price I see online.

I have been getting insane hatch rate, but I notice that it is broken into 2 feeds for me: a longer hatching period, spanning about 12h. This is perfect for my set up. 

If I want everything to hatch at once I put a light on it (for the extra heat).

The other thing I do is add baking soda with the aquarium salt (1/4tsp for 1L) because my water is crazy acidic and soft.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Daniel said:

What I use is 2 tablespoons of reef salt per 1 liter cone.

Whoa! I think you use twice as much salt as I do. Hmmm something to try! Though my hatch rate seems pretty good.

And until I get either a fish room or one of those nifty closets that can hold infinite items, I don’t think I’ll be getting 5 gallons of salt at a time. 😉 But it’s good to know for the future!