What did you get done today?

Cory

I FINALLY caught my short fin female blue eyed lemon pleco out of my 100 G nanofish tank and she went into the 75 with the 2 “lemon drop” boys.  She’s been in there since Saturday and today, one of the boys is fanning in the cave.  I put some caves in that are a bit small along with 4 different bigger sizes, so the female would have space to herself if she wanted and the big boys could pick out whatever cave suited them .  Guess which cave he’s in?  I can’t see anything past his big ol’, beefy body!  😆  But I’m pretty sure he’s on eggs.  I should know very soon if he’s actually a lemon drop vs. a common because lemon drops crossed with lemons should produce half lemons and half lemon drops.  I’m pretty sure I’ll be able to tell them apart as soon as they have absorbed their yolks fully.  The L519’s I was easily able to tell they had markings and were much darker than the lemons or the super reds.  I’ll have to pull out the smallest caves before she lays anymore in them.  They’re just too small for these big boys.

I’ll need to pull the babies out just before they’re ready to come out of the cave so I’ve marked it in my reminders.  The other fish in that tank will eat any babies that come out of the cave.  I also found another SF female BEL Saturday at the local fish expo and she’ll go in that tank after she clears quarantine in a month.  She’ll need to grow up a bit before she’s ready to lay eggs, but I’ll have 2 boys and 2 girls.  I still have 2 SF male and 2 LF female BEL in the 100 G nano tank.  I’ll probably have babies running out my ears, soon!

Now I’m just waiting for my Rio Paraguay plecos to make some babies.  I think they have a bit more growing to do before they’re ready.

I also have a new batch of L519’s that hatched sometime today.  They were eggs this morning and fry tonight.  The older fry came out of the cave almost exactly a month ago, so eggs were laid about 5 weeks apart.

I’ve been seeing pygmy cory eggs on the sides of the tank in the 20 long (same tank as the L519’s).  I don’t know if they’ll survive since I have so many scuds in that tank plus the Betta persephones.  There’s way less scuds in there now that there are a good group of pygmy cories, but I think there’s still enough they might take out any pygmy babies.  I’ve got a bunch of moss I want to put on at least one wood piece in the tank and that should give baby cories a better chance as it grows out.  I’m going to add moss to a wood piece in my 14 G cube, too, since I also have a group of pygmy cories in there with chili rasboras, and still a few too many scuds although that population of scuds is also finally decreasing.  Moss on wood and water changes are my projects for tomorrow.

First pic is the lemon drop taking up the whole cave, but fanning even when I shined the flashlight in trying to see past him.  Second pic is a brave and adventurous, fresh hatched L519.  Third and fourth pics are pygmy cory eggs and next to the tip of my pinky fingernail which is only 8 mm wide at the widest point.  Their eggs look slightly less than 1.0 mm across!  I’ll have to measure when I see more of them.  They’re gone now, and I hope because they’ve hatched and survived.  🤞🏻

IMG_5133.jpeg

IMG_5151.jpeg

IMG_5117.jpeg

IMG_5118.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 3

On 8/24/2023 at 12:33 AM, Odd Duck said:

First pic is the lemon drop taking up the whole cave, but fanning even when I shined the flashlight in trying to see past him

So I thought my lemon drop pleco was fanning eggs because he was fanning so persistently and the fit inside the cave was so tight I couldn’t see a thing past him.  That really persistent fanning usually means there’s eggs in there (or babies but the female hadn’t been in there nearly long enough for hatchlings).

Well, he totally lied!  Apparently he was only showing off his prowess and dedication if he were to have the opportunity to become a daddy.  🤦🏻‍♀️ 🤷🏻‍♀️ He was out of the cave last night and no babies, no fry and there are no fish in that tank small enough to get into that cave except the other bristlenose plecos.

At least it gave me the chance to pull that too small cave out.  I didn’t think either one of the boys would use that small cave, I put it in there for the girl just in case she wanted a snug hidey hole.  He’s now using the next size up cave that’s barely big enough for him.  The other boy is also using the other smallest cave - watering spikes.  I buy them perfectly good, “special made for plecos” caves in 3 different sizes, but nooOOOOOoooooooo!  Let’s squeeze our big ol’ bodies into the smallest cave we can possibly get into!  🤷🏻‍♀️ Whatever makes them happy.

I am very let down that I don’t yet have babies on the way from them, but he’s still fanning (show off) so hopefully soon.  At least the watering spike is big enough I will be able to get a tiny glimpse if there ARE eggs or hatchlings.  I’ll have to keep close track in this tank since the hatchlings will be at high risk for predation in this tank.

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Like 1

On 8/26/2023 at 7:47 PM, Odd Duck said:

Let’s squeeze our big ol’ bodies into the smallest cave we can possibly get into!

@TeeJay has 2 of my lemon blue eye. We were shocked when BOTH male and female came out of one of the tiny 2 1/2 x 1 3/8 inch Apisto huts. 

Im sorry no babies yet but at least you know he will be a great papa 🥰

768E3A80-0E51-4D0C-AADD-CC4A744AD467.jpeg

• Haha 1

On 8/26/2023 at 6:56 PM, Guppysnail said:
On 8/26/2023 at 6:47 PM, Odd Duck said:

@TeeJay has 2 of my lemon blue eye. We were shocked when BOTH male and female came out of one of the tiny 2 1/2 x 1 3/8 inch Apisto huts. 

I saw both the male and female BEL in the watering spike in my 100 G the other day and decided that was just ridiculous, so I switched it out for a pleco cave just slightly larger.  They’ve both inspected it but no further eggs, yet.  I’m very OK with them taking their time.  I’m going to get pretty loaded up with plecos if they breed as fast as they possibly can.  A little space between clutches works much better.  I’ve got some QT tanks that can turn into grow outs on the 16th if there’s any real action from the lemon drops and the lucky girl with 2 boys to choose from.  She doesn’t know it yet, but she’ll have a younger competitor in that tank on the 16th assuming no issues in QT.

• Love 1

On 8/26/2023 at 6:56 PM, Guppysnail said:

768E3A80-0E51-4D0C-AADD-CC4A744AD467.jpeg

I'm more of the fan of just using driftwood on soft substrate; instant cave - and the wood has other benefits when it leeches into the water. I do have a couple of ceramic caves - but am slowly getting rid of them - i one really large ceramic cave complex my loaches love but i found some nice 14 inch slate to lay over some larger driftwood pieces and hope they will accept that alternative - esp since they have gotten large enough to start scraping themselves when they squeeze through some of the smaller holes in the complex. Still i guess i'll hang on it just in case they pout when they see their new home.

I suppose I should take some pictures... soon .... soon ... 5 years later .... soon .... 20 years later ... soon....

Edited by anewbie
  • Haha 2

This week, I’m acquiring some of the more heavily blue-hued Rainbow Shiners (Notropis chrosomus). I’ll be getting a breeding group of wild-caught F0s, and a group of juvenile F1s. For perspective, there is some variety within this species — enough, in fact, that attempts at an updated taxonomy is underway. @WhitecloudDynasty has been breeding these. Here are several of his stunning F0 males…

IMG_3498.jpeg.9346880064a8ee4bf9a0a3ee2734e892.jpeg

IMG_3499.jpeg.cad6f4a97c3d36e10e08eb70e209af10.jpeg

Anyway, I have had to get tank space ready. For the juveniles to grow out, I gave an unused 20 gal (long). But it’s been rather unloved. Looking bad…

IMG_3492.jpeg.9264c147073ad8691f892545cbb2acf8.jpeg

IMG_3493.jpeg.33a9ce515e31eb61b3bac189f9df43a2.jpeg

IMG_3494.jpeg.047b561cc454fc0ace15a50b591f2e77.jpeg

IMG_3495.jpeg.2f42bc047207c9291c719234320802ba.jpeg

IMG_3507.jpeg.f541f0f536dd1925190107b36ee4dd0a.jpeg

I had been raising Nothobranchius guentheri killifish in there, but when only males remained, I moved them on and let the tank “go.”

So, I replaced the lid, added an AquaClear 30 HOB, upped the air, removed the heater, performed a 95% water change, added several cups of crushed coral to counterbalance some peat moss remaining. Now it’s settling for a few days…

IMG_3510.jpeg.5b9feb5bf0469e6bfb9f08f87575ee53.jpeg
IMG_3511.jpeg.047f3345aa0c5a4180bef161b39de550.jpeg

IMG_3512.jpeg.f966adefebead86a6ba6091ba96b208f.jpeg

As it turns out… I have more tanks to clear out and fish to move along. Sumner tubbing season ends soon!

But this I got done today!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 8/28/2023 at 6:10 AM, anewbie said:

I'm more of the fan of just using driftwood on soft substrate; instant cave - and the wood has other benefits when it leeches into the water. I

I have wood in the tank for the plecos, but these kids are in the bare bottom 75 G with the Jack Dempsey cichlids that are about 10-11” each, 2 adult festivums at 3.5” and 4”, and 7 juvie tiger silver dollars ranging from 2.5” to 3.5”.  A spot under some wood pieces would be very much less than ideal for the fry in this tank.  A ceramic cave is a much safer option where I can pull out the fry just before they’re ready to leave the cave which is what I’ve done with super reds in the angelfish tank and the blue eyed lemons in the nanofish tank.  The nanofish tank has several wooden caves available both inside and under the wood pieces and the plecos chose the ceramic cave.  My 20 long that has the L519’s has multiple wood crevice options with sand substrate and so far, the male moves to the cave when he’s ready to breed instead of hanging out in his “wallow” spot like normal.

My male plecos are staying in the ceramic caves during the day, they’re out and about at night.  The female is “headstanding” against one of the flower pots I’ve used to plant a Crinum in that tank.  She has multiple other options including a wood piece, crevices between other pots where she would be more hidden, other caves, etc.  She has chosen this spot between 2 pots.  I will be looking for a wood piece to see if I can make her more comfortable.  I’m sure she’s still a little freaked out because I had to chase her around multiple times in the nanofish tank before I actually caught her.  I am not her friend right now.  😝  She will get a friend in another couple weeks.  Females often hang out together so I’m hoping another female in the tank will help her feel more secure along with just the right wood piece(s).

I’m also looking to get some slate tiles to make some flatter caves for her or whoever wants to hang out in them.  I hope they do NOT decide to breed in them.  I would have to pull them out if they did.

• Like 1

Working on setting up my blackwater aquarium. It is 30 inch front to back; 48 inches side to side and 18 inches high:

Always open to scaping suggestions:

b10.jpg.195809a3ab5e87c113344acf0b7998fc.jpg

TDS is around 25 so a bit on the hard side but will work on that.

Edited by anewbie
  • Like 3

On 8/30/2023 at 9:30 AM, Schuyler said:

Just got my first BAP points today!

On my way to being a master breeder

What do you do with BAP points? Is that sort of like points for dollars spent or similar where you can redeem them later for special fishes or aquariums ?

• Like 1

On 8/30/2023 at 8:36 AM, anewbie said:

What do you do with BAP points? Is that sort of like points for dollars spent or similar where you can redeem them later for special fishes or aquariums ?

Breeder Award Program

It's something a lot of aquarium clubs do to encourage people to breed more fish. The way it works in my local club (GSAS), you gets points based on the type of fish you bred. You have to have 10 of them after a month and prove that you have (or had in my case because these were annual killifish) the parents. After a certain number of points you reach different rankings like beginner, experienced, master, etc.

On 8/28/2023 at 11:23 PM, Fish Folk said:

This week, I’m acquiring some of the more heavily blue-hued Rainbow Shiners (Notropis chrosomus). I’ll be getting a breeding group of wild-caught F0s, and a group of juvenile F1s. For perspective, there is some variety within this species — enough, in fact, that attempts at an updated taxonomy is underway. @WhitecloudDynasty has been breeding these. Here are several of his stunning F0 males…

IMG_3498.jpeg.9346880064a8ee4bf9a0a3ee2734e892.jpeg

IMG_3499.jpeg.cad6f4a97c3d36e10e08eb70e209af10.jpeg

Anyway, I have had to get tank space ready. For the juveniles to grow out, I gave an unused 20 gal (long). But it’s been rather unloved. Looking bad…

IMG_3492.jpeg.9264c147073ad8691f892545cbb2acf8.jpeg

IMG_3493.jpeg.33a9ce515e31eb61b3bac189f9df43a2.jpeg

IMG_3494.jpeg.047b561cc454fc0ace15a50b591f2e77.jpeg

IMG_3495.jpeg.2f42bc047207c9291c719234320802ba.jpeg

IMG_3507.jpeg.f541f0f536dd1925190107b36ee4dd0a.jpeg

I had been raising Nothobranchius guentheri killifish in there, but when only males remained, I moved them on and let the tank “go.”

So, I replaced the lid, added an AquaClear 30 HOB, upped the air, removed the heater, performed a 95% water change, added several cups of crushed coral to counterbalance some peat moss remaining. Now it’s settling for a few days…

IMG_3510.jpeg.5b9feb5bf0469e6bfb9f08f87575ee53.jpeg
IMG_3511.jpeg.047f3345aa0c5a4180bef161b39de550.jpeg

IMG_3512.jpeg.f966adefebead86a6ba6091ba96b208f.jpeg

As it turns out… I have more tanks to clear out and fish to move along. Sumner tubbing season ends soon!

But this I got done today!

So the line you picked up is from Phil Kukulski I believe he hasn't work with them for long so almost directly from wild or maybe the first generation. They are also a bit more north than my blue line.

here's a photo from Zack of that line.received_726606099353709.jpeg.36eeb16e7021b9cb837d4bb40b632c7a.jpeg

And here a photo of the blue like I picked up

received_1027555494924941.jpeg.6f63d03325db9d65fcea55b2c659724b.jpeg

Itll be interested to see what that family kicked out.

I haven't introduced this blue line of mine into the hobby yet due to them not meeting my expectations. They are still kicking out deformity and not hardy.

If I didn't pick up the GA reds I would have try some of those also...so let me know how they do for you and what you get out of them?.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have 9 of the “older” L519 fry that I’ve counted so far.  They are getting quicker to come to the front of the tank for feeding time.  Each has slightly different pattern and color.  The new clutch should be popping out of the cave any time now, surely by the end of the week the first ones should be coming out.  I keep working at getting more scuds out.  With fry in the tank I’ve been overfeeding so the scuds are booming.  I was able to give the pea puffers a good, heavy feed when the scuds covered the green bean feeding yesterday since I had them on an easily retrieved skewer.  I lifted the whole mess of them out into a cup and swirled them in water until they released.  Repeat x 3.  Pea puffers were happy, I was happier with less scuds - some went in other tanks so I didn’t overload the pea puffers.  I still need to work on scud control and wondering if the exclamation point rasboras might help with that.  Might need a little group of them as dithers.

• Like 1

Did a little work on the 8ftx4ft which is on the other side of the room (i had posted the 10x4 a few days ago) - there are a few rummy in it now swimming back and forth back and forth back and forth over and over and over. I'll be adding more driftwood tomorrow and have to think a while on the plants.

8x4_sept_1.jpg.dd43a0d24cd4ee2da199a9f4352a552a.jpg

• Like 2

Today I experimented with those plastic plant hangers that you can get so cheap. I think I paid $4 for 8 of them. I want to be able to play around with various marginal plants as well as protect the part of the liner that is exposed above water from the sun. 20230907_164245.jpg.938c48d75efa05df5b7f1650bee7a566.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 3

On 9/7/2023 at 6:45 PM, jtb5150 said:

Today I experimented with those plastic plant hangers that you can get so cheap. I think I paid $4 for 8 of them. I want to be able to play around with various marginal plants as well as protect the part of the liner that is exposed above water from the sun. 20230907_164245.jpg.938c48d75efa05df5b7f1650bee7a566.jpg

Wait, what ones you can get that cheap?  I see the tops but show me whole ones and a link where to get them, pretty please?  I’ve rigged most of mine because plant holders I’ve found are more like $20.00 each.  Please show me more?

And I’ve accomplished nothing but napping, eating, and reading today.  My tanks are crying out for water changes but my easy chair is calling out for company much louder.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What a pia day. I moved the first aquarium to the new home (a 29); naturally just to spit in my face after i got 80% of the water out it decided to leak; i.e, the seam broke at the bottom. I suspect what happened is the change in weight as i removed the substrate caused the bottom to sep from the side - after all it was a dirt cheap aqueon aquarium that had been sitting there for 4 years with 70lb of substrate. Not really sure but it makes me dread moving the next aquarium monday (another 29; though this one is a little newer since a couple of years ago the original also had a seal broke at the bottom). Yea aqueon tank built to last a few years and then spread water across your floor. Oh well will see how the fishes are doing when i go back to the house tomorrow. I had to pick up 2 new 29s - one to bring back to my condo so i can put the braces in for the matten filter (so tomorrow i will remove the braces from the old 29; put them in the new 29 and take a hammer to it so i can stuff it down the garbage thingy). the 2nd 29 was so my poor fishes didn't have to spend overnight in the pail. I also moved two of the angels from the 120 and put them in the 8x4; man was he ever pissed at me - wouldn't let me near him at all - i'll see if he is doing better tomorrow morning - hopefully he won't take his furor out on the poor rummy in the 8x4. I'll also see if i can take the 2 angels that are going in the 10x4 over - not sure they feel like being caught. 

-

Monday i'll move the 29

Tuesday the 10 (hopefully i won't have to take all the substrate out of this one); if i die doing the 29 on monday i suppose i can move this one next saturday.

wednesday the 120

thursday the 40

friday my furniture

---

Sigh. Gonna be a short week.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1