What's your dream aquarium product that doesn’t exist?

pedrofisk

On 7/21/2020 at 2:38 PM, Daniel said:

I wish there was an underwater remote controlled submarine 4k camera that would swim in my aquarium and stream the results back to my phone. I could watch fish breed and check on fry from anywhere. And if I were in a boring meeting, I could get out my phone and watch my fish instead.

Not a submarine but eBay and Amazon sell inexpensive remote cameras that stream to your phone. Mine is inskam brand. They are mainly used for inspecting plumbing drain pipes or inside gun barrels. The camera and led light are on the end of a wire that goes back to a box that bluetooths to your phone. 

• Like 1

On 3/24/2022 at 2:29 PM, memorywrangler said:

I want an auto-feeder for live foods.  For intsance, a pump that can periodically (and automatically) move daphnia from my culture into the my tank.  It could also top up the culture with aquarium water.

Funny you mention that, I’ve been trying to figure out how to make an auto brine shrimp hatchery/feeder. I don’t know how to even attempt it, but I can at least try! Eventually….

On 3/24/2022 at 7:51 PM, Intuos said:

"insert item here" with a longer power. 

I just bought an air pump that had the longest power cord I've seen (except maybe on a vacuum cleaner). I had to tuck a bunch of it under the stand. First time I've ever had that problem!

On 3/24/2022 at 8:51 PM, Intuos said:

"insert item here" with a longer power. 

I would love to see things that need no power cord! If someone could put Tesla’s wireless energy system in lights and filters, all you need it one plug that wirelessly transfers energy to the tank! This is also how wireless phone charging works.

• Love 1

On 3/26/2022 at 7:14 AM, Guppy Guy said:

I would love to see things that need no power cord! If someone could put Tesla’s wireless energy system in lights and filters, all you need it one plug that wirelessly transfers energy to the tank! This is also how wireless phone charging works.

My white cloud tank is technically wireless, but it does have three air hoses going into it for the sponge filters and the HOB breeder box. I'm more okay with air hoses because they're transparent, no risk of shock, and I can make them effectively as long as I want.

I don't know if I've said this on this thread yet, but I'd really love an air powered heater if that was somehow possible. (You'd need to move a lot of air to provide that much energy!)

On 3/26/2022 at 5:14 AM, Guppy Guy said:

I saw a talk from a guy that does wireless power research

He powered an artificial heart underwater from several feet away!  Aquarium would be a great first step for that kind of application because nothing moves(much). 

• Like 1

A remote control robot I could use to do water changes, algae cleanup, and tank maintenance from a different room. Kind of like an auto water change, but more like a surgical robot in that I could still see and control what's going on. (And as long as I'm dreaming, I'd like a pony.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2022 at 3:32 PM, Torrey said:

I love endlers because they aggressively eat snail eggs (love their caviar). Endler males will generally leave fry alone,

Someone needs to explain this to my endlers 😉 They are really good with my shrimp and never bother shrimplets or even scuds. But snail eggs? Nah. Guess I am feeding them tastier stuff, and they even swithare shrimp food out of their bowl. Thinking about rewarding them with a tank upgrade and moving my grumpy betta to their tank all to himself.

On 2/25/2022 at 7:19 AM, ADMWNDSR83 said:

Wouldn't it be great if Nerites were like Endlers, and pet stores only sold the males?!

Except they change gender periodically (nature finds a way). I had three and no eggs for 4 months. Assumed they were all male and I got lucky. Then Christmas rolls around and BAM! nerite glitter everywhere. They are all still there too. But they only did this once, no eggs since. I still like them though.

On 4/7/2022 at 8:33 PM, Jawjagrrl said:

Someone needs to explain this to my endlers 😉 They are really good with my shrimp and never bother shrimplets or even scuds. But snail eggs? Nah. Guess I am feeding them tastier stuff, and they even swithare shrimp food out of their bowl. Thinking about rewarding them with a tank upgrade and moving my grumpy betta to their tank all to himself.

I suspect it depends on the type of snail.

Bladder and ramshorns? Endlers say best caviar ever. 

Lymnaea stagnalis? Endlers ask "Why so tuff???"

Luckily the Lymnaea don't lay as many eggs as everyone else, so they don't take over the tank. Plus, the young are just as delicious as the caviar from the other snails, so tank has a good protein source for the endlers, and is approaching a homeostasis... as soon as I find something that will eat endler fry at night when the lights are off... but not the adults.

Catching fish out of that tank is a massive pain in the derrière and I need to not upset the Patient Spouse™ by buying a predator that eats during the day. I just need a little population control, ya know? 

On 4/8/2022 at 3:19 PM, Torrey said:

I suspect it depends on the type of snail.

Bladder and ramshorns? Endlers say best caviar ever. 

Lymnaea stagnalis? Endlers ask "Why so tuff???"

Luckily the Lymnaea don't lay as many eggs as everyone else, so they don't take over the tank. Plus, the young are just as delicious as the caviar from the other snails, so tank has a good protein source for the endlers, and is approaching a homeostasis... as soon as I find something that will eat endler fry at night when the lights are off... but not the adults.

Catching fish out of that tank is a massive pain in the derrière and I need to not upset the Patient Spouse™ by buying a predator that eats during the day. I just need a little population control, ya know? 

Maybe I am overfeeding out of an abundance of concern for shrimplets and fish getting enough to eat. my bladder snail eggs and baby scuds get ignored. So ready to get the shrimp and endlers out and my hunter Betta in there!

On 7/21/2020 at 2:54 PM, Pete said:

I want a heater / HOB filter combo. It makes sense to me. Both are items you size to the tank volume, so why not combine them? It'd be sweet to come up with an aftermarket impeller / heater insert that would work in an Aquaclear so you only have one plug to plug in. 

Basically, you don't want the heat next to the impeller. there's some stress / longevity reasons for that.  I would love to have a HOB that had an in-line output (the pump feeds the output itself) so that I can use some of the in-line CO2 systems or other UV systems that are available in the canister filter side of things. That being said, at that point you might as well get a canister filter. So.... then we are back to using a HoB that doesn't weigh too much, has a good intake sub pump to prime the box itself if the power goes out, then the main pump inside the cavity that is controlled via something like an arduino/microcontroller to prevent damage. This is also where you get the I/O connectivity with the heater, sensors, temperature, UV, etc. that all can connect to a wifi or bluetooth chip and then you have the option to connect that to an LED or to your phone.

HOB + Microcontrollers + a good programmer and some IO. should be some fun.

Edited by nabokovfan87
typo
  • Like 2

On 9/21/2020 at 6:14 AM, Fonske said:

Maybe something like this? Powered gravel vac with integrated mini-filter. 

fluval makes one. available in the big box stores pretty regularly.

On 11/19/2020 at 12:49 PM, Shogun3041 said:

Easy drip acclimation kit so I dont need to twist knot clip and kink my tubings. 

I found this, feel like I need to have one now for some "testing".  Sometimes the marine hobbyist just have interesting things to use.  https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aqua-gadget-accudrip-acclimator-one-pack.html?brs-source=mdredir

On 1/29/2021 at 7:57 PM, AquaAggie said:

Like so many others on here turns out it exists but oiy your right $25 ouch. Thanks so much

That's just because it's McMaster Carr. You can likely find them also from PC Modding community in use with watercooling. The issue is just going to be what is the finish and is that fish safe.

On 4/23/2021 at 1:01 PM, Stealth Aquatics said:

New product. Not game changer but I can’t find any, tank lids that open the width of the tank and not length. That is all 

yes please!

To tag on another idea earlier. A "soft close" lid as well so I don't have the handle slip and scare the heck out of the fish.

• Like 2

On 2/14/2022 at 9:38 PM, Lizzyduff said:

I'd like an android app where you could record the type of setup you have (i.e. nano blackwater), and the species you're keeping,  so that when you enter in your water parameters it can tell you if it's ok or not for that particular species. Preferably using color coding for those of us with dyslexic (dyscalcula) tendencies, for whom trying to figure this stuff out is simply migraine inducing.

I used one... it was called..... aquarium note. It doesn't tell you if its good/bad (version 2 might) but it's close to what you're wanting.  The main use is just to record it so you have a log and can view changes over time, log tanks and stocking, a lot of information.

• Love 1

@nabokovfan87 and @Lizzyduff you actually can set the parameters that you're aiming for in Aquarium Note as it is my preferred app- for each tank- this will require you of course to do the research on what you fish ideally need. When I do my weekly water testing (since I put my preferred parameters in) it will show green for good or red for "bad". 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 3

On 7/22/2020 at 3:18 AM, pedrofisk said:

Since my first dream product turned out to already exist (thanks everyone!) here is another:

An auto-dosing pump for planted aquariums that first measures for various fertilizer concentrations in the aquarium and then auto-doses the correct missing ferts. So I would probably just set up with Easy Green and Iron but for someone doing Estimative Index (EI) Fertilization Method it could be more options. Maybe throw in an auto-water change if the concentrations get too high for EI as long as I am fantasizing.

Cory does have some videos on it. BUT. This is the "newer" version and more of a name brand I guess.

And yep. not sure why we can't get a more affordable freshwater version of this. BUT it is what it is.

https://www.redseafish.com/hardware/reefdose/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/21/2020 at 3:38 PM, Daniel said:

I wish there was an underwater remote controlled submarine 4k camera that would swim in my aquarium and stream the results back to my phone. I could watch fish breed and check on fry from anywhere. And if I were in a boring meeting, I could get out my phone and watch my fish instead.

I saw this video and was instantly reminded of this thread. It's a bit large for most tanks I think, but could probably manage in some larger ones.

• Like 2