On 4/25/2023 at 4:00 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Farewell to my Limnophilia…does anyone have any other plant recommendations ? 

Remove algae add some mossy moss?

Hygro pinnatifida might look cool, but you would need to get algae in check a little.

That tank is begging for a nice bit of anubias!

Anubias nangi and a bigger one like hastifolia.

On 4/25/2023 at 8:19 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Maybe I might need to call in some emergency Val?

I mean, day by day just do a little section with a skewer or something.  Even your hand might make it easy to get the big globs.  Things like ambient light might be hurting you.  Once you have the big algae on the right side just removed..... then you can see your canvas so to speak.  A little moss ledge or something might be a really easy way to add a lot of mid-water feeders.  I think that algae is mostly from excess nutrients (nitrates and phosphates would be the indicators), but I could be mistaken.

I wouldn't add anything slow growing until that's looked into, that's what I meant by that comment earlier.  Val is a good one, it grows well!  Something like Microsword I like a lot too.

On 4/26/2023 at 6:48 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Do you think adding a black background to that right and back side is possible? With that window right there it might be causing that excess algae. Especially considering it's location.

I expect I could…just need to find enough black paper…and grow some longer arms 😂

• Haha 1

On 4/26/2023 at 10:36 AM, Schuyler said:

Quick German lesson, the "ß" in Süßwassertang is a contraction of "ss". Literally the name means "sweet-water-weed" not sure if it grows in sweetwater or if the plant tastes sweet.

It also translates to "freshwater seaweed".

It's a fun one to try to find the scientific name or naming origin. 🙂

(Tang on the second screenshot is a word used for seaweed)

When I first heard about Suß is was recommended to me as a type of kelp for freshwater tanks.

Screenshot_20230426-124326.png

Screenshot_20230426-124350.png

A bit more on the origin:

https://www.fishlaboratory.com/fish/subwassertang/

• Thanks 1

On 4/28/2023 at 9:28 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

@Schuyler could you please give me some Killifish species ideas? Preferably some which I can find on AquaBid

That depends on what you're looking for. It's hard to find one that's not colorful and cool looking.

I'm most familiar with nothobranchius. Everything else I've only read about briefly while looking into trying a different genus.

Looking at what's available for eggs, here are some genus/species I recognize:

Nothobranchius (annual dirt spawner) 2.5g - 5g tank

- Guentheri are supposed to be the longest lifespan and shorter than average incubation

- Rachovii are super bright and popular but have a long incubation time

Austrolebias (annual dirt spawner) 2.5 - 5 gallon tank

- Nigripinnis cool looking... Don't know much more than that

Any genus ending with -lebias is a south American annual

Fundulopanchax (plant and bottom spawner) 5-10 gallon tank 

- Gardneri are hardy, easy to breed, not picky feeders, and handle a fairly wide range of temps. Often recommended for beginners.

- Sjostedti are the Blue Gularis which is often referred to as the king of the killis. They get up to 6" but I've heard they are trickier

Aphyosemion (plant spawner) 5-10 gallon tank 

- Austraile another easy beginner killi but slightly more touchy about temp (you can see Cory has a pair of these in the most recent video but he doesn't mention them)

I raised Nothos after only a few months of aquarium experience. I think you could easily care for any of these.

Edited by Schuyler
  • Thanks 1

On 4/28/2023 at 9:14 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Does that make Süsswassertang become Süßwaßertang? 😄

I'm not sure what the rules are... I feel like I remember it being a regional thing. I'm not sure why süß uses it with wasser doesn't

On 4/26/2023 at 12:45 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

It also translates to "freshwater seaweed".

That makes sense. I just used Google translate. I knew sweet and water but tang gave nothing. Then wassertang translated to waterweed.

That makes sense about the sweet water making fresh water. I feel like I remember some Viking show where he tasted the water and said something like "ah sweet water at last!"

On 4/28/2023 at 10:40 AM, Schuyler said:

I'm not sure what the rules are... I feel like I remember it being a regional thing. I'm not sure why süß uses it with wasser doesn't

It does! You can basically use either one, but the more "modern term" is to use the longform version as opposed to the s-set letter.  It's due to trying to modernize the printing/typing of the language.  's' is a lot more common these days for machinery, electronics, etc.

They will likely end up updating a lot of signage and stuff with the new printing, but it's the same thing.  wasser = waßer = water.  strasse = straße = street

We used to have to remember all the alt codes to try to type things out.

Here's another view on it... there are use cases 🙂
https://hinative.com/questions/2059336

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1

On 4/30/2023 at 7:26 PM, Schuyler said:

Is there a species you're thinking of getting?

I’m eyeing up some Fundulopanchax as a first venture…I’m just waiting for the weather to get better up here - freezing! 

On 4/30/2023 at 7:58 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

There hasn’t been a dog pic in a while…

Your wish is my command 😜

B5AE236A-76D9-4030-BF54-FC78B38FC8B3.jpeg

E30BDA7B-A852-478F-A8AE-DCC02D5222D6.jpeg

C2250BFC-E465-4260-B158-739370CA719E.jpeg

AC9B91D8-1F37-4938-B058-E89749960A6C.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

It’s also been a long time since I’ve done an update…this is going to take some time 😂.

As you may know, when I got back from Singapore I found my tanks algified. They’ve since been cleaned up and I’ve  rescaped my 63 gal. Starting to wonder if it isn’t time for a change…E367D6B8-967F-4B8E-A22C-1BCDB32A015D.jpeg.60155c5bbf9677ab78adb02750c2fcd3.jpeg

Maybe discus? 

My bedroom tanks have been blooming in both algae and baby Endlers. @Guppysnail may be breeding everything she keeps, but my Endlers are popping them out as if they’re not living in a tiny 8gal cube…😂. It might be time for me to build a rack. Or a pond. Then I can use their tank for shrimp. Or killis. Or Aquaponics. Speaking of those……

Thirdly, I have made a small venture into Aquaponics by attaching some Tomato seedlings to some old plant pots and placing them in aquarium water.C607AC89-50DF-4A60-885A-942AB9B34700.jpeg.3ee166231093f28de920aa8fd26f6a8f.jpegThe goal is for them to grow decently so that they can move into my main tanks. My sisters have already pronounced their verdict : they shan’t eat anything grown from “yucky fish poo”🤦‍♂️. Ah well, such a shame. That nice bowl of carbonara will be just for me… 😝.

F2CA51F1-BBD3-4790-81C2-AC986ECD31DD.jpeg.ce67ede327702f67a0a9ba6f9c66692c.jpeg

Finally, Mopani says hi and thanks for enduring my ranting. Have a nice day! ABADD70E-E3A0-425C-BE3A-CFBE9B0E99FE.jpeg.05ed735cdacf669ef6653140310ffbfa.jpeg 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 5/3/2023 at 6:57 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

The Dalmatian is trying extra hard to be small enough for that “bed”

He’s started getting leg trouble - not uncommon in pedigree breeds supposedly. In the morning it’s hardly noticeable, but after a big walk his back left leg gets the jitters. It’s weird, he’s only 5! 
Spring has sprung: 

CB7B251D-0BB6-4AA7-912F-9F91C104C62F.jpeg

• Like 1