Just got back from the holiday hiatus to dogs and fish. Duckweed scooping and plant trimming. Not exactly glamorous, but I think (and just think, since experience tells me not to get my hopes up) that Gretel is expecting a top of mini-Gretels!!! 🥳🥳🥳🥳 The pet sitter we use says that his Jack Russel named Marc has become ‘acquainted ‘ with Gretel… My parents are petrified but I’m loving it! image.jpg.af60c75f3873beb226390c238c4dc226.jpg  

My zebra danios have also had a couple of spawning mops added to their tank in the vague hope that a topping-up may have made them frisky. 

Have a nice day and guess what Gretels pups might look like ! 

4DEB6B41-C8F3-47E6-9303-6E9F367B0AC4.jpeg

7739B564-1D3B-47EA-B6D2-AB414429AD2A.jpeg

5634A295-9D6E-4647-B305-4B4BFB1A13FF.jpeg

4B9C8BE4-4710-4B25-80BB-6982AE2E3F00.jpeg

• Love 4

On 7/15/2023 at 12:19 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

but I think (and just think, since experience tells me not to get my hopes up) that Gretel is expecting a top of mini-Gretels!!! 🥳🥳🥳🥳

That would be so amazing. She is an adorable pup. We will need to brace ourselves for the upcoming cuteness overload.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That aponogeton will fill that tank in no time. 

We did kittens when I was a kid never dogs. As an adult ironically I’ve had all except in grad school a cat my ex took with her. Anyway my roundabout way of saying fingers crossed 🤞!

Ive come to expect disaster when it comes to vacations- my last 4 day trip nobody died but needless to say my prior trip to New Zealand was a blood bath. Glad there was only one casualty.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Not glamorous but it helps. I place cardboard boxes in my windows during direct sun times when temps are at an extreme. The cardboard absorbs a bit of the heat keeping it from blasting in my fish room and to keep it from directly hitting my tanks that are already a bit warm. 
Good luck. 

On 7/23/2023 at 8:06 AM, Guppysnail said:

Not glamorous but it helps. I place cardboard boxes in my windows during direct sun times when temps are at an extreme. The cardboard absorbs a bit of the heat keeping it from blasting in my fish room and to keep it from directly hitting my tanks that are already a bit warm. 
Good luck. 

When it gets real bad.... Multiple layers of heavy duty foil works.

On 7/23/2023 at 8:01 AM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

I’ve seen people put frozen water bottles in tanks to bring temps down. Best of luck. That’s a tough one. 

I saw this recommended on the forums and it made sense to me. I guess it was a topic on one of green aquas videos and they said to avoid it because the amount of temp difference in the water could do harm to the fish.  It's just too much of a localized temp drop.

Not sure if it seriously matters, but it was an interesting thought.

I’ve moved everything out of direct sunlight, and it seems to be doing ok. The only guys who seemed to enjoy it were my bettas, who went on full breeding mode. 😁 Maybe they need a little friend…any ideas what color would go best with a blue plakat and/or a red veil tail? image.jpg.f16fdaf10058023e5a176bc61abfd381.jpg

During the move I’ve also managed to sort out the electrics (before that I had an extension lead running across the room) and de-duckweed my tanks. 😆Finally! 
38F0909F-4146-4674-A3D2-6CEC6D54658F.jpeg.f58974376e34005a6f622338f71a1020.jpeg677AB2E5-A491-4B6A-8023-66AA78EB92C0.jpeg.f3d6155d0f5a8c9d4c17e0ecbc931896.jpeg8467841C-C5E5-4C9C-A205-F537415A9AAB.jpeg.f2d67f95b3ebaed51792ff5060a1bc33.jpeg

The fish have been temporarily relocated to the grey bins in the first pic, but that hasn’t stopped me from getting them some more tank mates. Black skirt tetras and Bronze corydoras. Both new to me. Any thoughts/suggestions? 3E657332-F0E8-405D-91A2-409C4B8A4ABB.jpeg.9e5247a80d9ff8172b1286aef4bcb6a5.jpeg3B5C2A1D-50A7-4A68-8377-C1D002943541.jpeg.f4aa2a169a077151de171ad9d4382808.jpeg
Have a nice day! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 7/24/2023 at 8:44 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Maybe they need a little friend…any ideas what color would go best with a blue plakat and/or a red veil tail? 

Black or green... Depending on your personal preference.

and de-duckweed my tanks. 😆Finally! 

Nice! (And congratulations) 😂

Any thoughts/suggestions? 

But where is the Bolivian ram?

On 7/23/2023 at 11:21 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

it was a topic on one of green aquas videos and they said to avoid it because the amount of temp difference in the water could do harm to the fish.  It's just too much of a localized temp drop.

@Irene had made a video about how to cool down tanks, talking about the water bottles and how they didn't really work, and she mentioned chillers and fans and the car sun shade thing.  I can't find the video but I found this one which mentions some of those things.

• Like 2

On 7/24/2023 at 11:40 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

@Irene had made a video about how to cool down tanks, talking about the water bottles and how they didn't really work, and she mentioned chillers and fans and the car sun shade thing.  I can't find the video but I found this one which mentions some of those things.

Here's my cooling video, as requested!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@TheSwissAquarist If you do decide you need more cooling power, but don't want to spend the "big bucks", then you might look into using a DIY Peltier Cooling Chip device (they are pretty cheap on Amazon and use very little power)... if you are running one of more air pumps with stones and/or sponge filters, you could probably loop airline tubing back and forth in front of the cooling face of the device before sending the chilled air into the tank to be released in the form of cool bubbles. It would be relatively low tech. Just a thought. Thanks.

• Love 1

On 7/31/2023 at 10:57 PM, JChristophersAdventures said:

@TheSwissAquarist If you do decide you need more cooling power, but don't want to spend the "big bucks", then you might look into using a DIY Peltier Cooling Chip device (they are pretty cheap on Amazon and use very little power)... if you are running one of more air pumps with stones and/or sponge filters, you could probably loop airline tubing back and forth in front of the cooling face of the device before sending the chilled air into the tank to be released in the form of cool bubbles. It would be relatively low tech. Just a thought. Thanks.

That’s actually a pretty good idea; I’ll look into it. So far I’ve tried the Mediterranean technique of keeping the shutters and curtains and windows closed and opening them in the evening to let some cool air in. 
It seems to work, but I have had times where the aquarium temps were in the 82-85 bracket. Fans blowing cool air onto air pumps to then be pumped into tanks don’t work because the pump itself is quite hot. 
On a brighter note I turned 16 on Swiss national day!  🎂🎉 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1