On 11/18/2022 at 4:23 PM, Guppysnail said:

Was able to get a small video of what I meant by digging. They do this headstand dig all day long!

It's a blur, but I can't remember if it was the pandas or the black corydoras that had similar behavior.  Lack of sleep I guess and I just can't remember!  Sitting here drinking coffee and it's 11 PM. (long story, lol)

I have seen two main behaviors, not constantly, but the bigger the herd, the more often I've seen it.  In the 55/75G in the sand they would "hoover" pretty much all day. They get food, but tail in the air and they literally just do that all around the tank.  That was definitely the pandas at that time.  In the newer setups that I have now they are a lot more reserved, but I have seen them do that same thing when they are fed a food they really, really like.  Doing that 24/7, I could only imagine how fun and goofy that species would be in a massive herd on some sand.

I am glad I randomly stumbled upon this thread.  I absolutely LOVE to learn more about these species and this type of fish.  No idea why, but I just really, really enjoy them.

On 11/28/2022 at 12:09 PM, Guppysnail said:

First eggs 🥰

Just curious on what they layed the eggs on? I see the photo, but not sure what the black thing is.

Sidenote, You had mentioned in the OP and some of the initial posts how there isn't a lot of information available.  I spend the weekend watching a livestream / auction with someone that might be able to help with some information.  They did auction a species very similar to the one you have.  They also mentioned how they are much, much more active than corydoras generally.  The person in question is Anthony Mazeroll.  Let me grab the details for you.

https://www.amazonresearchcenter.org/
amazonresearchcenter@gmail.com was the email they listed for questions / inquiry on the stream.

The research center is focused on peru, listings I am seeing for this are:
https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=384

From brazil.  I would imagine given the crossover this person might be able to shed some light or something, very knowledgeable and helpful from what I saw on stream over the two days!

• Thanks 1

On 11/29/2022 at 2:13 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Just curious on what they layed the eggs on? I see the photo, but not sure what the black thing is.

Of all the weird things to lay on it is the top of the power cord to the ACO heater 🤣 The white thing in the back is the intake for the canister. However this spot makes sense because it is directly in front of the HOB filter where the outflow skims over the surface.  I notice my other corys like to lay where there is flow  

With the way they dig deep it throws gravel bits about  I inspect the barbels constantly and they are perfect.  It’s easy to see because when I sit in front of the tank they love to sit in a group at the front and stare back at me 🤣  

I removed the food dish because they are so hyper most of the food was getting shoved out of the dish and lodging under the rim.  

Thanks for the info. This species is the most fun catfish I have dealt with. Even more so than my pandas…yes I actually said that. 
When I put my hand in to move the food dish they actually come in a group and snuffle up and down my fingers where my pandas scoot an inch or so to the side. They eat live white worms from my fingers and If I lay my hand flat on the substrate they snuffle every inch of it. 
Where corydora have bursts of activity and periods of rest these guys are full speed game on non stop. Then they all freeze for about 30 seconds then go again ALL DAY LONG. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I have had a group of these guys for a few years now. At first I was intentionally breeding them, cooler water changes, pulling eggs, etc. I had been keeping a clump of java moss as well as some spawning mops in their tank, and I started noticing some little fry when I would do water changes. Now, I just let them spawn as they want. I see little fry almost every time I do a water change on the tank, so they're still going at it

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 11/29/2022 at 6:52 AM, Andy's Fish Den said:

I have had a group of these guys for a few years now. At first I was intentionally breeding them, cooler water changes, pulling eggs, etc. I had been keeping a clump of java moss as well as some spawning mops in their tank, and I started noticing some little fry when I would do water changes. Now, I just let them spawn as they want. I see little fry almost every time I do a water change on the tank, so they're still going at it

I did pull these eggs because I would like a group for another tank. I do have a large clump of moss in the back I sat on the floor. Most of the floor space is planted so plenty of places to hide for fry. Seeing fry show up randomly is the coolest. Much more fun than the work that goes into pulling and raising. 

On 11/29/2022 at 7:20 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I’m still surprised the shrimp did that.

I’m not 109% certain it was the shrimp but it’s the only difference. All the other tanks I raised fry in had shrimp and that was what I thought was normal developmental stages. This tank had shrimp I. With previous panda fry and that’s how they developed. I removed all the shrimp I could find in this tank so they would not pester the piano snails and only shrimplettes remained. This was just prior to Cece hatching and she developed totally different. 
Im not certain the shrimp would have been able to pick at the tail since the fry move quickly but I’m thinking it’s more the constant annoyance may have caused excess stress for the fry and possibly gave  stress fin rot a chance or just stressed them to the point development was affected. 

When this guy was little he loved to hide in the pleco caves. He outgrew them though. I just put the larger caves in last week and Caramel decided he would give it a try again. Epic Fail 🤣

7CDC7094-C6F6-4637-A9A9-63B25B548EB3.jpeg

• Like 1

On 11/29/2022 at 8:19 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Aw! The poor fella! He feels left out. He needs to have a Caramel-sized cave (or pot).

I actually went and bought a pot for him yesterday. I want to cut it into a tunnel before I add it though. It’s been rainy here and terra cotta dust in the house is not happening 🤣

On 11/29/2022 at 8:22 AM, Guppysnail said:

I actually went and bought a pot for him yesterday. I want to cut it into a tunnel before I add it though. It’s been rainy here and terra cotta dust in the house is not happening 🤣

I really like this process; I've used it a few times.  It's simple.  It didn't make dust (in the air) because the pot was upside down. Any dust fell down onto the paper towel beneath the pot.  I did it right on my kitchen counter.

• Thanks 1

On 11/29/2022 at 8:29 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I really like this process; I've used it a few times.  It's simple.  It didn't make dust (in the air) because the pot was upside down. Any dust fell down onto the paper towel beneath the pot.  I did it right on my kitchen counter.

I just turned the lights on and thought what the heck. I put it in as is. 

B638BE01-CD21-40C8-9552-83B3AC6FC940.jpeg