On 11/29/2022 at 5:40 AM, Guppysnail said:

I removed the food dish because they are so hyper most of the food was getting shoved out of the dish and lodging under the rim

You could try burying the food dish up to the rim.  They might still shove food out but at least it wouldn’t get stuck under the rim.  Or get a large glass Petri dish?  Or other straight sided dish so there’s no place for the food to get stuck?

Your accounting makes me want some of these guys!

• Love 1

On 11/29/2022 at 11:04 AM, Odd Duck said:

You could try burying the food dish up to the rim.  They might still shove food out but at least it wouldn’t get stuck under the rim.  Or get a large glass Petri dish?  Or other straight sided dish so there’s no place for the food to get stuck?

Your accounting makes me want some of these guys!

I did bury the food dish. They dig so much and got used to yummies getting stuck there they excavated around the dish. They eat FAST so I’m enjoying watching them without the food dish. I use dishes because other Cory and pleco are slow eaters and I don’t want it sucked into the ugf. I am not certain much actually hits the ground as they flip upside down to catch it as it falls. 
I cannot recommend these enough. Less shy, more interactive and active than any Cory cat even though my cory are not shy by any means. These are just IN YOUR FACE friendly.  The girl I got them from breeds them herself so they were crazy healthy no middle person retailer. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Love 1

On 11/29/2022 at 7:01 PM, Guppysnail said:

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea Angel is MAD about the pot. He keeps flaring his cheek whiskers and charging the pot only to come back and sit here staring at it angrily. 🤣 He is the only territorial pleco I have. I suppose I should have asked for permission. 

6754C81A-5E16-4F2A-AC1C-3C09F692BD93.jpeg

F633C387-0B23-4448-9005-1DA14C13A306.jpeg

Territorial attitude comes naturally with good looks 😁

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

Wow, that plecco is fascinating! 

@Guppysnaillet me ax you some questions. 😄

I use remineralized rodi, and i have horned and zebra nerites.  Can they live a beautiful life on Ca in the water, or do I need to give them things like cuttle bone snacks?  I assume cuttle bones increase gh & kh & ph?

How do you safely remove a snail from glass or from another snail?

Why do they constantly visit the same rocks and ignore thick patches of algea on the glass?  Can't they smell the food!?! 🤪

• Like 1

On 11/29/2022 at 10:27 PM, PerceptivePesce said:

Wow, that plecco is fascinating! 

@Guppysnaillet me ax you some questions. 😄

I use remineralized rodi, and i have horned and zebra nerites.  Can they live a beautiful life on Ca in the water, or do I need to give them things like cuttle bone snacks?  I assume cuttle bones increase gh & kh & ph?

How do you safely remove a snail from glass or from another snail?

Why do they constantly visit the same rocks and ignore thick patches of algea on the glass?  Can't they smell the food!?! 🤪

If you have very hard water high ph they will be ok but I still recommend zoomed nano banquet blocks spirulina calcium or calcium chips from crayfish empire on eBay are really great. My nerites love those best. They need to ingest it to form new shell growth. The calcium chips sort of disolve to powder that spreads on the substrate and my nerites seem to prefer those  

My nerites like certain places and certain algae but they really like the biofilm that grows on things. It’s living bacteria that provides protein. 

I never attempt to remove one snail from another. I slide them along glass but sometimes they lock on and then I leave them be. Their entire foot is a muscle and can be damaged. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/29/2022 at 1:01 PM, Guppysnail said:

Angel is MAD about the pot. He keeps flaring his cheek whiskers and charging the pot only to come back and sit here staring at it angrily

I didn’t know plecos were territorial!

@PerceptivePesce my nerites ignore food I put in the tank. 😂 They seem to just want to clean stuff.

On 11/29/2022 at 1:43 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Territorial attitude comes naturally with good looks 😁

Geppetto the betta has the same problem in my tank!

• Like 2

On 11/30/2022 at 5:22 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I didn’t know plecos were territorial!

Angel is the only territorial pleco I have had. He is usually chill but when guppies pick in his food dish he chases them, or when I move something or add something he gets his panties in a bunch over it. 🤣

• Haha 3

On 12/2/2022 at 8:57 AM, Guppysnail said:

Awww!  There he goes. His special secret hideout. ❤️

On 12/2/2022 at 12:21 AM, Minanora said:

I get cranky when people move my stuff around, too. 🤣 I wish I could chase off my kid when he's trying to eat my food. 

My husband, too.

I came home one day this week to find a styrofoam container of wings in the fridge.  Apparently my husband leftovers.  Didn't get me any wings, did he?  So I helped myself to a few.  He comes strolling through the kitchen and I got busted because I had some bones on the plate.  He said, "Tried a few wings, did ya?"  And I replied, "Oh, I was just clearing out the flats, because I know you don't like those."  And he laughed.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Haha 3

I am combining 2 threads. My Aspidora outgrew the 10g. The tank always looked like a bowl of boiling spaghetti 🤣 I took the Melini cory out of the 20 Badis badis tank and moved them in with the other Melini group in the Pygmy tank. I removed one piece of wood from the Badis tank. I loved the look but it was not functional. It blocked appropriate flow in spots and with all the crazy branches it was IMPOSSIBLE to vac. Here are the new digs. I’ll get some video later. They are still settling in but seem very happy. All front and center. The Val is disheveled but it will square itself away. 8397E224-75B3-4135-89BF-D04B52C8333B.jpeg.c7221e6449800ca69ddc88c7c7572768.jpeg

here is the thread I’m moving to this thread. 

So the dwarf cat eggs I pulled all turned white. They were infertile. I read several things it takes a few batches before you get fertile eggs out of these guys. 

Got some videos of different colorings on the GBR. At the end you will see the girl really showing off. They change color throughout the day. They ramp up the blue and red at different times  Most GBR photos I see though they have lots of yellow.  Mine never show off yellow. There is rarely if ever yellow even visible in mine??? 

I owe a LOOONG post to this Journal. So many changes, updates, new stock. I will post it soon. It’s just been crazy busy with all the musical tanks And new stock. 

• Love 5

On 12/5/2022 at 4:44 PM, Guppysnail said:

Got some videos of different colorings on the GBR. At the end you will see the girl really showing off. They change color throughout the day. They ramp up the blue and red at different times  Most GBR photos I see though they have lots of yellow.  Mine never show off yellow. There is rarely if ever yellow even visible in mine??? 

I owe a LOOONG post to this Journal. So many changes, updates, new stock. I will post it soon. It’s just been crazy busy with all the musical tanks And new stock. 

Looking good! Can’t wait for the long post, school is seriously boring, and we’re all waiting for the Xmas hols!

On 11/29/2022 at 3:40 AM, Guppysnail said:

Of all the weird things to lay on it is the top of the power cord to the ACO heater 🤣

Not weird at all! I had mine lay on ACO tubing. All I could think was to make some sort of mop out of that material.

The white thing in the back is the intake for the canister. However this spot makes sense because it is directly in front of the HOB filter where the outflow skims over the surface.  I notice my other corys like to lay where there is flow  

Yeah. 100%.  One of the talks from the corydoras breeder in 2017 I think said that if you don't have the proper flow some species just will refuse to lay eggs.

When I put my hand in to move the food dish they actually come in a group and snuffle up and down my fingers where my pandas scoot an inch or so to the side.

Sounds similar to what @Chick-In-Of-TheSeawwas experiencing with her Betta! That's awesome.  I really enjoy how different and fun these fish seem to be. That's awesome.

• Like 2