On 9/29/2023 at 1:29 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Ick. This is my sand. I would not play in it. Just messing with it kicks up dust clouds like Pig Pen.

😞  Give me like a good 3 hours!  Sometimes it just always looks a bit messy and it's tough, I totally get where you're coming from.  I was so fed-up with the tank this month just because of how dirty the sand was getting on me.

I think we even have the same type of sand?

• Like 2

On 9/29/2023 at 6:31 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

😞  Give me like a good 3 hours!  Sometimes it just always looks a bit messy and it's tough, I totally get where you're coming from.  I was so fed-up with the tank this month just because of how dirty the sand was getting on me.

I think we even have the same type of sand?

I have PFS. Even when I siphon and “turn over” the sand - that used to work to refresh it and get it looking new again, but now even the stuff  under the top layer is dirty/stained. It would need a bucket rinse. But that would kill all the bb. Still, I think there’s bb on enough other things in the tank that it should be ok to rinse it.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 2

Found my short fin girl that way in the 75 G yesterday.  That isn’t what I’m would call a peaceful tank but she was tucked in between a couple pots and looked like she had fallen off the side of one.  I was trying to look at the female Jack Dempsey and in doing so I found her laying there.  The flashlight I was using woke her up and she righted immediately.  🤦🏻‍♀️ 🤷🏻‍♀️ Deep fishy dreams, for sure.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

On 10/2/2023 at 1:53 AM, Guppysnail said:

All that dorsigera flirting. Let’s see if they hatch these or eat them on day three again. 

you forgot the 3rd option. Hatching the eggs and snacking on babies afterwards...

yes,,,

I'm looking at you german blue rams...

image.gif.aa8c339ad840121c06e410878230f251.gif

Edited by Lennie
  • Haha 4

On 10/2/2023 at 5:57 AM, Lennie said:

you forgot the 3rd option. Hatching the eggs and snacking on babies afterwards...

yes,,,

I'm looking at you german blue rams...

image.gif.aa8c339ad840121c06e410878230f251.gif

Yes that is a possibility. Today there are a few infertile ones but they are peppered through what appears to be fertile. So dad at least got better at fertilizing this time. Last time there were whole patches not fertilized. He is guarding them well. 

• Love 3

On 10/3/2023 at 1:55 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Look at those big orange bellies! 
Have you thought about trying daphnia??

Yes. I actually ordered a daphnia magna culture. I was going to set up a tank for them. The Keystone Clash booth area got way to hot.  The adults had all perished by the time I got there. Once it cools a bit more the vendor is going to send me some. 

• Like 1

03A9A375-F6D2-4076-A82E-93E716809DD2.jpeg.6604fc246eafab36932428425f1aebee.jpeg

I AM DONE WITH UGF in catfish tanks. I’m paranoid now after finding the pleco so I keep checking. There are a bunch of fry under now so bye bye ugf. 

It dawned on me I should check the Aspidora tank. 4 1/2 inch and one 1 inch under the plate!  I’ve been fussing with this tank being dusty and a bit cloudy for weeks. No wonder. All these kids stirring everything from under the filter plate. 

I’ve pulled plates in both tanks and ordered 80 lbs of jungle river sand. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/3/2023 at 9:26 AM, Guppysnail said:

I AM DONE WITH UGF in catfish tanks. I’m paranoid now after finding the pleco so I keep checking. There are a bunch of fry under now so bye bye ugf. 

It dawned on me I should check the Aspidora tank. 4 1/2 inch and one 1 inch under the plate!  I’ve been fussing with this tank being dusty and a bit cloudy for weeks. No wonder. All these kids stirring everything from under the filter plate. 

It speaks to why so many people have their own experiences that shape what they prefer. It goes all the way down the line to something as simple as a new hobbyist with a single fish in the take and they ask, "what should I do?" and they are left with 50 different setups and 20 different filters to go look at.

Ironically I had the same type of experience this week with a sponge filter and a pretty big shrimp that decided it wanted to live deep inside the foam and scare the daylight out of me.

As always, keep the eye on the tank and randomly you'll see something that you'd never expected, sometimes good, sometimes bad.

• Like 3

On 9/26/2023 at 7:07 PM, Guppysnail said:

@TeeJay just sent me a photo of Lemony and Luna’s baby growing big. It dawned on me Mom n Dad are now great grandparents!

Angel and Lefty are Lemony and Luna’s parents. 
🥰

Photo of the great grandkid

FAFE1D94-24C7-4525-B964-2394283B1A8F.jpeg

Yes I had to keep at least one of there first batch of babies. She is growing very well. I hope to be able to keep her for a decent amount of time in the 20 long. Her name is moonbeam. I felt the name was fitting.

Edited by TeeJay
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

On 9/20/2023 at 1:28 PM, Guppysnail said:

My very special adoption arrived safe and sound today. @TeeJay did an amazing job packing them. 

Reintroducing George Tammy and Crystal the Apisto borellii Opal trio. 

Crystal is on the right. George put his foot down immediately and got between them and chased Crystal back to her side. George and Crystal are doing some heavy duty flirting. 🥰 They have been in the tank about 2 hours now. 

64410911-D8CA-4F20-BB19-128F4A4898FE.jpeg

29F70E3E-B49A-4B70-92B6-6077E721F90D.jpeg

I thought waiting for fish to be delivered to me from you was nerve wracking. But that hails in comparison to actually shipping myself. But with all the materials you sent me and walked me thru it every step of the way made a huge difference. Having that bucket of fresh water heated up and matching good to there tank water made all the difference. 

I enjoyed them but as I watched them I knew they needed to be in a bigger setup than a 10 gallon. I'm sure it can be done by just straight breeders. But that's not me. I'm the oh hey look I got fry kinda "breeder" it's really amazing in just a couple of short weeks how they have done. I am so very happy they are with you. Maybe one day I'll setup a 20 long for some of there babies.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Orb has been keeping the babies in the hole she dug at night. Babies are out everywhere today rather than a tight group feeding. They are only 2 weeks old. 
She went in to tidy her cave. So Papa got excited. This is what he does whenever either girl is in the cave. He thinks it’s nookie time 🤣

B99D8E84-E0F3-48B1-B97B-7723DE5D1450.jpeg

DB41C6EE-305B-4B74-925E-F632EA514B7F.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ugf and gravel out of the catfish 40B. Sand in. Still a hair cloudy I just finished 10 minutes ago. Not near as bad as I thought. 

Took more time sucking out pleco babies. Still tons of them and melini and Pygmy babies but that alone is an all day project.

Now to do the same to the Aspidora tank. 

88383DB0-1973-42C9-91DB-5C5A53200AA3.jpeg

• Like 2