I really want to get a great planted tank but I can't seem to be able to feed my plans without feeding algae. I wouldn't mind the algae but it grows on the plans and suffocates them. My lights are on timers and I'm adding flourish liquid fertilizer and root tabs. I've been trying to keep NO3 around 20 to 30 ppm and I've been pretty successful. My lights are on a timer and go on and off so they're on 8 of 12 hours (two separate two hour breaks in the day) I started using some gluteraldrahyde (the ingredient in easy carbon) to stop the algae and it's slowly killing it back but I'm afraid 1) it's harming the thin leaf plants 2) as soon as I reduce the dose I'm going right back to growing more algae. What should my next steps be?

20201012_224526.jpg

Edited by Ikantspell4
Added photo of my dying algae and sad plants

Thanks for the suggestion Candi. This is one of two tanks that actually have a lot of baby plants. To increase the plant load and reduce the light I have an other that's FULL of duckweed and frog weed but both tanks have the same problem. In the frogweed tank I can't keep any nitrates in it the floating plants are gobbling it up so fast but still really bad algae. What's the next parameter I can try to adjust? 

16025653672726008382460800536015.jpg

Still trying to figure out what to try next. I did add some of the floating plants from my other tank to increase the plant load. I'm kinda overwhelmed with possible things to check next. I'm already watching nitrates, hardness and ph. I think the next thing is phosphorus or potassium or maybe both. What other stuff can I do. I've murdered lots of plants and feel like these are heading that way. Anyone more experienced than me have advice?20201019_194516.jpg.23bf54fcca43cae4020416b483fde9d8.jpg

• Sad 1

Thanks I will adjust the lights back. I've got 2 of my tanks planted and the one with floating plants is doing "better" I think the shade is helpful. My lights come off and on so they're on 8 hours of the day with 2 long pauses in them. I'll try turning them down and if that's not enough I'll shorten the time. How long is a good time between making a change to determine if it's helping. I feel like in the past I've waited to long and by the time I reacted it was to late. 3 days? 1 week? Longer? Any plants wizards have a timeframe they go by?

You're a step ahead in that you know your issue is balancing the tank. Your plants all look easy to grow and low tech, based on the tags you posted above. So, lack of injected co2 isn't your issue. Balancing light, ferts and plant load is. 

A few things come to mind- 

1. Why do your lights have two breaks in the day? I have heard of planted tank people doing a "siesta" for their lights, but I'm get to see any research that backs up the idea that a break in light is good for plants. When in doubt, we can look to nature, and the sun doesn't have break in the photoperiod for plants. I would cut lights back to 6-8 hours per day and no breaks in the photoperiod. Your algae issue might be caused by the "long break" in your light. If the plants are only photosynthesizing for the first period, then your lights go off, when they eventually come back on your plants have ended their photoperiod and algae uses your second & third light period to grow.  Striking this all, as Streetwise mentions below there may be benefits to it. 

2. The seachem line of ferts is difficult to use. Seachem Flourish does not contain high enough levels of macros, you have to dose them separately and buy other bottles from seachem. To dose everything (nitrate, potassium, phosphate, micros, iron...) you'd have to buy 5-6 bottles from seachem. This is why many people prefer an all in one fert, like easy green from the co-op. This article from the co-op is a good explanation of seachem's line - 

3. While an excess of nutrients can cause algae, so can have too few nutrients. you mentioned your frogbit tank has 0 nitrates. If your frogbit is sucking up all the nitrates, there is nothing left for your other plants to use. Algae is far more opportunistic and will thrive when only a few nutrients are present, or excess light

On 10/13/2020 at 12:43 AM, Ikantspell4 said:

I've been trying to keep NO3 around 20 to 30 ppm and I've been pretty successful.

What are you using to keep NO3 at 20-30ppm? If you're using seachem flourish to do it, you must be adding half the bottle in?

Many planted tank problems can be solved with a high plant load and balanced fertilizing. If I were you, I'd buy a bottle of an all in one fert (could be easy green), I'd spread that frogbit you have between all your tanks, and work to mantain 10-20ppm nitrates in all your tanks from easy green as the source. 

Edited by Jessica.
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for helping. My nitrates come from food and I'm trying to make sure they are they are at the 1st color on the 5in one test strips if it goes over I feed less if it's at the 1st color i figure it's good. My lights come on when I wake for a few hours (which I cut to one) and during my lunch (which I cut to one) everything else is after work. The seachem stuff is pretty complicated and I do think once I use it up I'm going to try the Easy Green.  I've moved the frogbit between the tanks to try to decrease the plant load on one and up it on the other.

Thanks for all the help.

@Jessica., siestas do have a basis in nature, with moving cloud cover and changes in tree shading throughout the day. Diana Walstad writes about it in her book. Plants can ramp up photosynthesis faster than algae, so it can help in that area, but it is also something nice for the aquarist, in terms of enjoyment vs work schedule. We have a thread:

• Thanks 1

I have pond a snails in each planted tank. One tank is all guppies and the other is all neocardina shrimp. They use to live together but I gave a bunch of shrimp away for a BN plecco. The plecco lives in a different tank. Originally that was going to be an algae eater but I'm afraid to put her in with the baby sword plants because I'm worried she will eat them.

I had the exact same problem until i realized its not just how long they get light but how strong the light is. Once i got a weaker light and dropped the time to 6-8hrs (depending on the tank plants). My spot algae and diatom problem was all but gone. Ive also got ramshell snails and a assasin to keep them in check.

Hope this helps ^_^

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update I didn'tuse Ottocinclis didn't put my bristle nose in. The duckweed has been helpful and so was the liquid carbon. The algicide really seems to have helped me get over the 1st month of green. I ended up dosing at way above the the recommended dose daily. As of now I don't seem to have all the issues I did before. The algicide helped me get the tank stable and the duckweed has been helpful to but my plants are starving. I'm not adding huge amounts of glut to the tank but I am seeing my poor plants starve. Tomorrow I'll cycle the nitrogen rich water from my not planted tank and move the cleaner water to the goldfish and pleco tank. The duckweed is very prolific and I feed some of it to my goldfish but I'm feel like I'm removing more mass in duckweed than I'm adding in plant growth or fish food and think my plants are starving. I'm fertilizing about every 5 days but I don't think I'm getting the growth I want. I was also able to get some guppy grass and Christmas moss from a hobbiest and they're surviving but I'm not seeing much growth. I'm going to start feeding heavier and my extend the lights.

On 10/19/2020 at 10:09 PM, Ikantspell4 said:

What other stuff can I do. I've murdered lots of plants and feel like these are heading that way. Anyone more experienced than me have advice?

May they rest in pieces. I've been killing plants for 2+ years, and I still haven't figured it out.  A few months back @Candiactually suggested that I come here.  ...and buy faster growing plants.  In my case, I can't keep the nitrates down, and, plants are starving.  but the BBA and filamentous algae are thriving.

• Haha 1

• 10 months later...
On 10/12/2021 at 1:25 AM, Ikantspell4 said:

16340161831061778575935749277435.jpg.48b20adeccb2d5fd83f240374168f776.jpgUpdate after struggling for a long time and failing at growing anything but algae and duckweed I finally found the perfect thing to make my dream jungle tank.

CONGRATULATIONS 🎉🎊🎈. PLEASE Do share how you accomplished this beautiful tank. 

On 10/21/2020 at 4:16 PM, Jessica. said:

I've been a lurker over on Tom Barr's forum, and he seems to think the siesta period isn't beneficial.

You might cause a mob with pitchforks, careful 😆. You forgot to mention that it's actually algae that photosynthesize quicker than plants! But we will keep this between ourselves 😜

Edited by Mmiller2001