Tank background wallpaper

MyFish

I have seen a black plastic bag looking surprisingly good as an outside of the tank background, wrinkles, creases and all.

I have interior backgrounds, but I would probably try a rigid board of some sort that I could try things on (paint, adhesives, sheets of stuff?) on and put behind the back and evaluate.

• Thanks 1

On 1/19/2022 at 4:57 PM, MyFish said:

I have some trash bags lying around.  I will experiment and get back with you.  I was thinking a solid color as well, then I saw some woods and greens backgound and am unsure.  Thanks.

Excellent, I haven't tried it myself, experimentation is needed. If it is indeed a good idea, it should be better known. If it's rubbish, I should quit suggesting it 😛 maybe it only works well under certain lights setups. Maybe some growth on the glass helps, I don't know.

Edited by darkG

I love black backgrounds, but I hate taped on and don't like painting my tanks either.  

I use this blackout window film.  I comes in various sizes and goes on easy and if your careful there will not be any bubbles, etc and it looks great.  It also is easy to remove if you decide you want to do something else with the background.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 2:06 PM, Aqua junky said:

I spray painted the back of mine, I've also used a paint roller as well. To me there's nothing better that a black back ground and white substrate

I did that when setting up my TFB tank.  I don't think I will ever change that look.  It makes for a bright high contrast environment, and the fish really stand out..

I really like matte black paint so far.  15-20 years ago I always used black posterboard type material and it was always getting a little wet/ruined.  I never thought to paint them.

I just bought a 75 gallon and the previous owner had already put a coat of black paint on it (but hadn't filled the tank yet).  I put another couple of coats on it and, unfortunately, at some angles there's like 'bubbles' between paint and glass.  It's not super noticeable, but it's going to bug me "forever", nut sure if his first coat wasn't great or maybe our two paints weren't compatible or something.  The blackout film is an interesting option, I bet that works pretty well.

Using the cling backgrounds work well and are easy to adjust.. I’m a graphic designer so if I ever need to print something specific (like the rocks) I have access to do that at my job.. then I just laminate and tape on 😀

Painting looks nice but if you ever wanted to change it I imagine it’d be a pain to remove.

I have painted a number of backgrounds usually black or white. I prefer to use plati-dip, it takes a number of coats, but it looks good and is super easy to remove if you want to take it off. 

I have also painted the bottom of the tank with sand texture which, in my opinion, is a cool option for a bare bottom tank. 

I have also used poster board, paper, and corrugated plastic taped to the back of the tank. The plastic is nice because its waterproof.

I really love my backgrounds from Universal Rock. . . but they are a bit pricey and you have to drain the tank and silicone them in. . . so not the best option for everyone. 

Edited by MoshJosh
  • Thanks 1