Celestial pearl danios

Stephen Zawacki

mine love my jungle of PSO and do like also hiding in the rock under my driftwood...they love Fluval Bug Bites, Omega One veggie pellets, Hikari micro bites and of course frozen BBS (the pellets are kept in a pepper grinder because they were super tiny and even the tiny pellets were too big for them)

good luck with them, I'm sure the tank will be awesome - when the males fully color up, they are amazing!! 

good luck in college!!

On 9/19/2021 at 11:54 AM, T. Payne said:

That would be fine. I would also keep any biological media you have in the bucket as well, to help jump start the aquarium once you start setting it back up.

This is a great method so they are not subjected to cycling your tank and keeps toxins down on the drive. Drill holes in your lid so it does not slop in your car or poke generous holes in Saran Wrap over the bucket. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys so my college tank is a all in one sr aquaristick tank I went to my local fish store and got 8 celestial pearl danios.  They said that since it is a species only tank I’m good.  I just wanted to make sure that they can live happily and healthy in the 6.6 gallon for life and grow to max size.  I think Reading online they said the min for a school is 5 gallons but not sure.  Also any facts that I should know about them to keep them as healthy as possible. Also the tank is heavily planted. 

thx 

On 9/27/2021 at 5:28 PM, Stephen Zawacki said:

Hey guys so my college tank is a all in one sr aquaristick tank I went to my local fish store and got 8 celestial pearl danios.  They said that since it is a species only tank I’m good.  I just wanted to make sure that they can live happily and healthy in the 6.6 gallon for life and grow to max size.  I think Reading online they said the min for a school is 5 gallons but not sure.  Also any facts that I should know about them to keep them as healthy as possible. Also the tank is heavily planted. 

thx 

Most recommendations I see are for 10 gallons or more since they’re a pretty active fish.  Mine certainly take advantage of every inch of my 100 gallon.

That said, you’ll probably get away with the 6.6 gallon just fine with enough plants, the right balance of light, food, and diligent tank maintenance.

Best advice is always going to be feed light.  Now if I could just follow my own advice better.

• Like 1

Celestial Pearl Danios are one of my favorite fish of all time. Hard to believe such beauty can come in such a small package. I've got around 25 of them in a 20 gallon with a lot of plants. They do really well in there, but just a few notes:

They really don't like a lot of flow. My HOB sent them hiding in the plants. Now I have sponge filters on during the day and the HOB on at night and they are much happier and visible during the day. 

Make sure your food is high quality. That will help keep the mess down and give them the nutrients they need to get full sized and coloration.

I think you'll be ok with your tank size, just remember to keep the water clean!

On 9/28/2021 at 3:35 PM, RadMax8 said:

Celestial Pearl Danios are one of my favorite fish of all time. Hard to believe such beauty can come in such a small package. I've got around 25 of them in a 20 gallon with a lot of plants. They do really well in there, but just a few notes:

They really don't like a lot of flow. My HOB sent them hiding in the plants. Now I have sponge filters on during the day and the HOB on at night and they are much happier and visible during the day. 

Make sure your food is high quality. That will help keep the mess down and give them the nutrients they need to get full sized and coloration.

I think you'll be ok with your tank size, just remember to keep the water clean!

I have had a completely different experience mine are retired from breeding in a 20 long with shrimp snails and a breeding pair of bristlenose so massive overfiltration. Aqua clear 50 full blast plus fluval 307 (40-70gallon) full blast and 2 coop sponges. They don’t bat an eye and are rowdy all over the place eat in the flow up front and still breed like rabbits. 
ultrafresh tropical pellets are ideal size for adult cpd. They do great on crushed flake hikari guppy smooshed in fingers to make smaller 

your tank should be fine if maintenance is kept up. 

• Like 1

On 9/28/2021 at 4:29 PM, Guppysnail said:

I have had a completely different experience mine are retired from breeding in a 20 long with shrimp snails and a breeding pair of bristlenose so massive overfiltration. Aqua clear 50 full blast plus fluval 307 (40-70gallon) full blast and 2 coop sponges. They don’t bat an eye and are rowdy all over the place eat in the flow up front and still breed like rabbits.

I wish that I had that level of activity! Mine are pretty subdued, even though the tank is in a relatively low traffic area (my bedroom!). Lucky you!

• Like 1

On 9/19/2021 at 4:27 PM, Stephen Zawacki said:

Hey guys so i have a question I'm going to be taking my cpds to college with me, how do you reccomend doing so that puts as little stress as possible I have a bucket and an aerator is that all they need for the drive it is around 2 hrs.  

I would also recommend getting a heat pack so the temperature doesn't drop to much during transport

Edited by Colu

Hey guys so yes I know I asked the same question when I have my 7 gallon tank for them.  I got a great deal on a water box 10 clear.  I want to know I have a school of 8 celestial pearl danios will this 10 gallons be enough to keep them happy and healthy and get to max size.  Also it is heavily planted with petrified wood and manzanita wood.

thx Stephen. 

• Like 1