Favorite Plant

shkote

I am a big fan of any type of Hygrophila. I also have ridiculously hard water, and Hygro is one that has never failed me. Some of it I have had around for a very long time. The angustifolia is the only plant that I have found so far that stands up to my Firemouth's excavation habits. 

• Like 1

I kinda love my dwarf waterlilly and tiger lotus plants, and the madagascar lace plant--all the bulbs are so satisfying for some reason. They grow and change more than anubias, but they don't get out of control and require a bunch of maintenance.

The plant I wish would love me back is hydrocotyle tripartita japan. I really want it to take off, but it seems to struggle a lot for me.

Edited by Brandy

My favorite for each category:

Carpet: Monte Carlo, it's the best mix for me of easy to care for/grow and easy to spread. I love how much surface area it has for my shrimp to hide out in. I didn't dry start mine and instead just placed "plugs" about 1cm apart and it's grown over ~2 months to have a very shrubby look. My tank doesn't have the perfect carpet that a lot of aquascapes have, but I'm very happy with the result even if it wasn't the one I intended.
Floater: Amazon frogbit, it's easy to grow and has LONG roots that help me reduce the need for heavy water changes. If you're the type of person who likes to trade plants (like me) it's very easy to toss in some of this plant in a trade as a freebie and have the other person come out of it happy.
Rhizome: This is my hardest choice because I LOVE rhizome plants (I'm scaping a tall tank so purchased a ton) but as of right now I'll probably have to say it's between Anubias barteri and Anubias nana var. "Golden". They're pretty bulletproof and the barteri especially is immune to my Bolivian rams snuffling around it. The Golden looks lovely nestled into driftwood as well and personally I prefer the look of it over other Anubias nana cultivars.
Stem: Rotala rotundifolia, no contest. This looks so good in my nano setup and it grows super quickly for me. Mine is very green and tends to have a hydra effect when I trim it, it's carried a LOT of my local trades for other plants. It also sucks up nitrates like crazy, much faster than any of my other water column feeders (though I don't have too many to compare with.)

Edited by ange
fixed some scientific names
  • Like 5

I love a particular cryptocoryne wendtii which is actually the first plant I bought when we got back into freshwater two years ago. I've split it many times, and have one piece that grows out of some driftwood and just looks incredible in our 125. Please excuse the pic, it was a quick one.

We've also had some great results with our tiger lotus and lace plants and our African fern bolbitis has been doing incredible and I really like way it looks.

20200921_125117.jpg

Uggh

000544C1-15C4-444C-96B1-A3024A50975F.jpeg

163EFF78-D54D-44F0-8162-8ACD922893F3.jpeg

Edited by Kacey
Upsidedown pic and I cant figure out how to just delete the post completely. I didnt post an upside down post, thats how it it posted. Now I just wanna delete the post entirely and I cant.
  • Like 1

I am in love with the Aponogeton Ulvaceus that I have in my 20 long. Easiest plant ever! I put the bulb in the back, forgot about it and then I was doing my weekly Salvinia harvest and BOOM there it was! From this picture you might think I'm a plant wizard, but no its just the magical AU making me look good. (disregard the plants still in rock wool, they were waiting for their new home). 

Aponogeton Ulvaceus.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lynze said:

@Kacey it looks like pygmy chain sword, though I've always had some difficulty telling the difference between that and dwarf sagittaria. 

@AJE also my favorite, kind of hard to come by these days, I try to move it around to several different tanks so that I always have it somewhere. 

It's super easy to propagate it though, just pluck a leaf or any part of the plant and it'll grow more. I wonder why it isn't too common.

4 hours ago, ADMWNDSR83 said:

Everyone I talk to about buying jungle val to put in my tank here in MD makes fun of me.  They ask me why I don't just pluck some up during a kayak trip. It chokes all our waterways every summer, and yet in my tank it's not quite sure what it wants to do!

I am likely going to take road trip to tomorrow to look for native Vallisneria americana as that is probably what the 1930s aquarist might have had to resort to if they didn't live in a large city with a well stocked pet store.

I wonder if the native stuff is stronger, weaker, or no different from what can be obtained from a retailer. Are plants like fish and do they become more adapted the longer than spend in captivity. Or are they only becoming more adapted to being farmed?

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I am likely going to take road trip to tomorrow to look for native Vallisneria americana as that is probably what the 1930s aquarist might have had to resort to if they didn't live in a large city with a well stocked pet store.

I wonder if the native stuff is stronger, weaker, or no different from what can be obtained from a retailer. Are plants like fish and do they become more adapted the longer than spend in captivity. Or are they only becoming more adapted to being farmed?

I know in MD it grows thick and massive.  Haven't tried bringing any home.

22 minutes ago, R41NB0WF1SH said:

Cryptocoryne Wendti

• grows in any light
  • grows quickly; I get a new shoot every day
  • super duper easy to split up plant
  • enjoys fertilizer but doesn't need it
  • wavy leaves with bronze undertones are gorgeous
  • grows in gravel, stratum, course sand, fine sand
  • can get it on the cheap

33FB8018-B1F4-4996-8530-D58DE70D434A.jpeg.4a1aefd8dc63d71aef476d929d07c6e1.jpeg

It was so hard not to add this to my list but I already had 3... absolutely love this plant, my first real “success story” with plants. One of the few things the goldfish couldn’t dig up when I had that setup going.

• Like 2