Favorite Plant

shkote

@StephenP2003 I'm glad you mentioned this one. I've got some more Pearl weed coming in on Monday. The last time I attempted it,  I dropped it in the wrong tank temporarily until I decided where to put it,  and my Firemouth ate it, like ALL of it, and then buried any evidence that it ever existed.  It's going in with my El Silverado Endlers this time.  

• Haha 2

I gotta say hornwort is my fav. I think it's pretty, it grows crazy fast so I know it's doing work to absorb nitrates, and its great for fry to hide in. It looks nice and natural floating, but I also like arranging it it with some plant weights at the bottom, and stick it in a back corner to let it grow in a controlled plume over the top. It does get mushy at the bottom if you do this, but by the time it does, you probably need to trim it anyways; just shorten up the bottom and re-weight. Fast and fabulous.

PXL_20201005_145453142.jpg.5a3a09251228c6c69688c35cf3f1cec2.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, StephenP2003 said:

I have a lot of favorites, but I'd have to put pearl weed at number 1. It grows really well in my water, and if you're diligent and okay with the initial tedium of trimming and planting stems, it makes for an excellent medium light carpet.

I totally hope to do the same thing! Good to know that pearl weed needs medium light.

My favorite plant is currently the dwarf aquarium lily. I've had it for 1.5 months now and it's finally growing huge, bronze-colored leaves with wavy edges that really stand out against the rest of the surrounding green plants. Yesterday I saw the first lily pad making its way up towards the water surface. I'm growing it in low lighting, no CO2 and using Easy Green and Easy Root Tabs for fertilizers.

20200930_142403.jpg.ab714d5d14eae39f151f9b8289f1cf7d.jpg

Edited by Irene
  • Like 6

As of late I love cryptocorynes but lately my favorite is Cryptocoryne Purpurea. It stays small (around 3-4"leave length max) and is green with dark veins or patterns on the tops of the leaves and the bottom of the leaves are a redish copper color and it makes it look so amazing! 

Snapchat-321643934.jpg

• Like 2

Planted 4 new plants last week, 2 Anubius (nana and gold coin), a Windelov Java Fern, and a bundle of Dwarf sag.  the Anubius look great, the Windelov scares me a little as it just doesn't look happy, but the Dwarf Sag is on fire!  I have a couple runner shoots already, so I'm looking forward to a great little forest for some fry to hide in.  I may even eventually feel comfortable putting some shrimp in there without worrying what my angels will do to them!

• Like 2