Atitagain Fish Room

Atitagain

On 10/23/2021 at 8:59 PM, Flumpweesel said:

You have been busy, well done all looks great. Now you can enjoy those fishes.  Maintenance day will be a breeze after all this.

Thank you,

and yes it has been a hectic 10ish days. Just to not have 14 tanks looming is a relief in itself. I’m looking forward to doing all tanks on one day to see how long it takes. But I usually do a little here and there then do water changes if needed on Sunday. It’s funny I think I’ll just break this tank down no worries, then about 1/2 way I remember uhhh this kinda sucks. I forgot every time.🥴

• Like 1

Last couple days just trying to relax and enjoy tanks when I have fishroom time. Been keeping up on plants mostly. Did a 50% water change on cichlid tank, been keeping a close eye on this and I’m sure I will need to increase my water change frequency atleast until I can get plants in there and some pothos growing out the back. 
Really can’t stand the curtains on my stands, the more I look at them the more I just wanna rip them down. Oh what a waste of money, I have some material in my garage shop but not sure how much. Garage has been a catch all since we moved in and of course all my lumber is at the bottom of everything. I’ve been needing to get my shop running anyway so I guess this is as good a reason as any. Next couple days need to focus on that. Then  I’m gonna figure up a material list and price out building doors. Will probably do a by pass sliding type to keep cost down. Or snap clips so I can put hinges on later. I knew this would happen, that’s the worst part of it. Haven’t discussed this with the wife yet. (Nervous giggle) 

• Like 3

Going to have to, or is it MTS kicking in again reset a small aquarium. Was gonna do a 10G but ultimately decided on a 20G want more room for more plants. I need to get the pea puffers out of the 125G. I think their doing fine in there and would coexist with all the others I’m just having a lot of trouble making sure their feed. When I drop snails in there I rarely have 2 of the 3 in sight, never all 3. And they won’t come to the top anymore to follow them down so most times I don’t see them eat. I know they can hunt them down but it’s a big tank with lots of hiding spots. Also I don’t wanna populate this aquarium with pond/ bladder snails I want what I put in to be ate immediately. Then when I try to feed them bloodworms the whole population comes and it’s a feeding frenzy and they can’t compete. I have searched the forum but can’t find a diy fish trap made from a plastic bottle and I can’t remember who or where it was posted. I think it was fairly simple top cut off reversed with a piece of plastic tied to the opening so it would be much harder to get back out. I gonna try that when I’m ready to catch them with some pond snails placed in there and put it close to where they generally hang out.

On 10/27/2021 at 10:09 PM, Griznatch said:

to add a piece of string to it so you don't have to go swimming to fish it back out  🙂

Very good idea 👍 

On 10/27/2021 at 10:29 PM, Guppysnail said:

I remember the post you are talking about. I “think” I remember someone saying a Gatorade or ice tea bottle worked best. 

That’s it, I spent over an hour looking for it and finally gave up. Lol

Been bouncing an idea around last couple days for a themed tank. Never done one, over the 30ish years I’ve been keeping aquatic vivariums so maybe it’s about time. I think it’s a cool idea 😎

been mostly working on getting the new pea puffer tank ready. Gonna probably finish tomorrow and set trap for them at night. Progress so far kinda, a lot of the driftwood came loose while adjusting but this is the basic idea.FC74477A-8F20-46DC-B426-B0E68E7173A0.jpeg.e9392f113d3623713a39f174a44eaf8b.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 2

On 10/29/2021 at 11:18 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

@Atitagainlooks like lots of nooks and crannies for them to explore. Pretty perfect for puffers! 

Thank you, exactly what I was thinking. I got a bag of roots to add to the 125G. I thought I’ll just use a few in the PP tank, next thing I knew I needed to order another bag of roots.🥴

• Haha 3

On 10/30/2021 at 12:35 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

What are you meaning by themed tank? As in decoration or as in a species only?

Decorations, I always try to stay natural not using fake/ plastic decor. Guess what I mean by themed creating an environment non aquatic like they do a lot on the show Tanked.

On 10/30/2021 at 2:25 AM, Patrick_G said:

Where do you get a bag of roots? 

Check your DMs. I find this kind of materials real hard to find. Especially in stock, I’ve spent many hours on line finding these. They shipped from overseas but I got them in 10 days, so not bad. And even at my absolute favorite LFS that has the biggest selection of driftwood type of material  I cannot find anything close these are individual pieces around 50 for $25+shipping ($5) 

• Like 1

On 10/30/2021 at 2:43 AM, Atitagain said:

Check your DMs. I find this kind of materials real hard to find. Especially in stock, I’ve spent many hours on line finding these. They shipped from overseas but I got them in 10 days, so not bad. And even at my absolute favorite LFS that has the biggest selection of driftwood type of material  I cannot find anything close these are individual pieces around 50 for $25+shipping ($5) 

Thanks! With how popular the Indonesian style scape is you’d think all the stores would have them, or maybe the popularity is the problem. 

• Like 1

Spent all my fishroom time today redoing the new pea puffer tank. All the driftwood that had come loose was just to much to get back even close to what I was happy with. So I just took it out and started over. Instead of everything flowing up and out of the tank, I decided to flow everything down and not come out of the top. Thinking I didn’t like the look of it flowing out the top and will wait till I have a rimless tank before I try that again. 

37EEF5B6-15B7-45DF-9FE5-5E7CA0FCEF7E.jpeg.5a866fd816725a1ff71b068aefa8bb6d.jpeg
Im gonna use moss or something to cover most of the trunk, need to hide a lot of fishing line used to tie the driftwood down. Will use on roots as well. 

Going pea puffer fishing tonight 260BA066-CB49-4693-8C3B-658E23477675.jpeg.4cc12046065a7b18ab44007cd685abe8.jpeg4AE5F348-9489-4DBF-AF23-B7C6E415F4AF.jpeg.05f5292bafe91a5dd2f79ac7dc499341.jpeg

Edited by Atitagain
Speling
  • Like 5

On 10/31/2021 at 7:35 AM, Guppysnail said:

I’m anxious to hear how your puffer catching went. 

Lol.. didn’t catch any yet all I had was a smallish water bottle I’m gonna get a bigger bottle today. BUT look at this, one is inside the opening of the trap just won’t go inside, the other two are hovering right around the bottle so I might get em!!!92618BB3-82D4-41C0-8932-164737E67090.jpeg.d81438bf2f7490334474ba23b8c05ecd.jpeg81204201-9995-4DA3-BADB-2D4464A76569.jpeg.6659bb7242ad31f66a2264e2a839e48b.jpeg

• Like 4

The suspense!! (They are so cute!)

I used my fry trap yesterday to try to catch the medium sized fry out of the small fry tank. I had moderate success, but I still had to use the net to catch the last six. Even after 2 attempts, there were some that just would not go in that bottle for anything.

• Love 1

I had to use live blackworms or whiteworms as bait.  The whiteworms worked best.  Even with that, I wasn’t able to catch a couple, but I didn’t try too hard since I didn’t need to catch all of them at the time, just the bulk of excess males I had.  It may get interesting when I go to catch all of the pea puffers to transfer them to the 29 gallon.  I’ll keep you all posted but I expect to need to fast them for a day or so before I’ll be able to catch all of them.

• Like 1
  • Love 1