Atitagain Fish Room

Atitagain

On 9/14/2021 at 9:52 PM, Atitagain said:

Need to research plants that do well in hard water. I already have to much vallisneria. Java fern always is failing as well, Amazon swords seem to do well but seem very slow growing. And that’s about it need to start focusing research time on plants. 

I have relatively hard water, but not crazily so. Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus and water wisteria both grow well for me. Anubias and crypts do well, but are slow growers. 

On 9/14/2021 at 10:59 PM, ChemBob said:

I have relatively hard water, but not crazily so. Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus and water wisteria both grow well for me. Anubias and crypts do well, but are slow growers. 

My water is crazy hard, but I have had good luck with PSO before and have some in a couple tanks will be propagating some for sure. I tried water wisteria before but got impatient during melting phase and gave up and just removed it. I will give it another go. I also have a few Anubias love these but very slow, I haven’t tried any kind of crypts yet 1st on the list when in make my next coop order. 
thanks for the help.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2021 at 11:59 PM, Patrick_G said:

I understand the practical needed to move your tanks around but it looks so cool the way it is. 

Thanks, I love the look as well. Been thinking of rebuilding the racks to raise bottom up about 8” would make a huge difference. Of course that raises the top tank as well but if I put the 60Gs on bottom and 55Gs on top might not be a huge difference? But of course it’s about saving $ right now and that would come when I able to reset all the tanks.

@AtitagainI really feel you in terms of work and life commitments and the hobby. I hope it works itself out. Agree that projects are super helpful but also sometimes I make a game of one factor in the tank to keep it interesting- pick a plant or fish species that maybe you’ve neglected and just research and tweak that one thing. Keep it fun and hang in there. 

On 9/15/2021 at 3:34 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

@AtitagainI really feel you in terms of work and life commitments and the hobby. I hope it works itself out. Agree that projects are super helpful but also sometimes I make a game of one factor in the tank to keep it interesting- pick a plant or fish species that maybe you’ve neglected and just research and tweak that one thing. Keep it fun and hang in there. 

Thanks a lot,

But what your suggesting is what got me in trouble 😖I took off trying to breed rummynose tetra failed then told my wife my next plan. She said something like “you were supposed to start saving $ 2 weeks ago not doing new projects “ I can be somewhat of a procrastinator especially in a situation like this.🥺

so now have to downsize so I can get back to it.

• Like 1

@Atitagainwell sorry for getting you in trouble! Anyway best of luck 🤞 this is also part of the hobby nobody talks about- what happens on the other end of MTS. I had this happen when I first got out of grad school- was convinced by a rental agent to get the bigger house and well when the heating, electric and water bills came due in addition to rent well that sweet basement fish room became a liability not a plus. Once again thanks for sharing and apologies for getting you in trouble 👿

• Like 2

Busy day today, this morning moved rummynose to cardinal tank I have 20ish each. I really like the pairing with the hard scrape and cherry shrimp. This afternoon moved  Platties/  angels/ peppered corys  to old rummynose tank.  And 1st batch of bristlenose babies moved from 10G to 55G, I think count was 52. 36 chocolate 16 albino I have it wrote down will update tomorrow. Tonight finished up moving bristlenose babies (a few stragglers) broke down 10G lot of feeder snails in there as well ( pea puffers were happy) started setting up dark water rummynose tank. Really liking it so far going for 2E52A02B-29D8-48FD-80FA-24E01033EFF5.jpeg.d1bf8634d69927622a29df95d4069087.jpeggonna be a challenge maintaining such a low PH 7.0ish but test water is running good so seems doable. Early tomorrow morning will be finishing this set up. Will post some pics then got to late tonight all lights shut down before I was done.

Another fairly productive day, to update BN fry count, it ended up being 63 with 49 chocolate and 14 albino. 7D24401A-BA3B-4711-8E0E-C84C7DF586D2.jpeg.9e2d556f081db1d864e75c94e01c184f.jpegWill be adding 2 more batches of fry to this tank when they grow a little bit bigger. Their both smaller groups probably both add up to this one. I am absolutely loving the rummy/ cardinal/ cherry shrimp mix in a 60GE9DC0AD0-378D-424D-9EF6-BCAB68CBAB53.jpeg.0e2caf54744613228dad214bc4f65656.jpegif you focus in you can see the rummys in front and cardinals in back left. Rummys noses are red as ever so transition went well.

As for today worked a lot on rummynose breeding tank. Using bottled water so had to bring up to temp them scoop cup fulls because I didn’t have anything higher than the tank to set buckets on to get siphon going. Suspended the light 4-5” above tank so would dim it a little and the lid won’t stay open on its own so light becomes a holder for it. Set log in position off center right, wanted to leave some swimming room in back side and a good spot for them to hide behind. Plants 2 Anubis mounted on branches of log, vallisneria back left and center back, moss tied to random branches, water sprite floating front right corner, and Java ferns (4) all in bad shape, not sure any will make it ( I always have bad luck with it) Set up cave back center under a high Anubis. Almond leaves and Adler cones distributed throughout. 6EC716DA-BC76-4DDC-A8DE-255CBB7ED4EB.jpeg.88dccd3d66055bb4f7906ed699a3e6f7.jpeg3F48B160-0BFD-451B-9F60-B26523E37EDE.jpeg.afcec5d587f621ff6482e0dc5e28f7e3.jpegSpawning mop on top of cave will be replaced with Java moss/ or something similar and sponge filter will be removed (cycling in HOB) More leaves, twigs, and cones to come really want to darken water up. Thinking of using mostly oak and some almond leaves.

Did some storage organization and started to break down the 20G under the 75G. Will finish and move in the morning.

Plan for tomorrow- move 20G from under to above 75G plant and scape, remove vallisneria from 55G and move some to 20G rest to platy tank, collect and move corys from 55G to 20G as well as betta from 3G, move rest of fish from 55G ( glowlight tetra, blue gourami, and cherry shrimp.)

• Like 9

Today did a general clean up, was getting hard to move around. Got the 20G moved from under the 75G to above it. Went to LFS and got some frozen daphnia to feed rummys in breeding tank. And some Java moss. Added it to 60G shrimp tank 9968A163-828E-4470-A91A-CE5BFC3BE59B.jpeg.793550d9a007dca9fa75659cf7465ddf.jpegand some to top of cave in rummy breeding tank C50DEBFE-D465-465E-9FF1-8B7498436A78.jpeg.b8a4701631fdee03f4cf2db02232bdcb.jpeg

Then got busy on breaking down 55G didn’t get as far as I wanted. I thought I had lost nearly all my cherry shrimp from this tank 50-60 of them. As I removed the slate rock structure I found them! Looks to be at least 60-70. So had to deal with that unexpectedly. No pics tanks were way to cloudy.

• Like 6

Not able to spend much time in the room today. Was shopping with wife most of day trying to find her some new coffee cups. It’s funny how every store I go in I’m thinking “how would that work for my fish room?” We never did find cups she liked but I found 😋. Parchment paper and wooden sticks to make some repashy rods (thanks for the idea @Guppysnail), measurement glass, hanging organizer for QT, some E7ACB5D8-4506-436A-B9C4-6D6A59617C92.png.22efa179cde1c28f39469c3d40c53f97.pngto add tannins to my rummys breeding tank ( thanks for the idea @Fish Folk), mortar and pestle, and some cloths pins. 🙂

In the rummy breeder tank I found a dead male I think. Hard to tell without others to compare too. I tested water and everything is all good. But they have been stressed a lot last week or so. With a few moves and I redid the whole tank in a couple days, definitely need to watch other 3 closely. Not sure what to do; run it as is (2F 1M) but what if I’m wrong about the sexes?, catch the 3 and pick 4 new to start over, or grab a new F and M add them to the mix.

collected the glowlight tetra, salt/ pepper corys, and an endler from the 55G and added them to the 20G with shrimp (60 ish). Still need to finish planting the val in this tank. Was able to gravel vac the 55 really well so left over substrate will store well.
need to figure out new home for the betta, not really wanting to keep the 3G set up for him. Those small tanks are such a pain. But not sure what other tank he would do well in.

still no pics tonight will post some I’m the AM

• Like 4
  • Love 2

On 9/18/2021 at 11:49 PM, Atitagain said:

Not sure what to do; run it as is (2F 1M) but what if I’m wrong about the sexes?, catch the 3 and pick 4 new to start over, or grab a new F and M add them to the mix.

I’m sorry you lost one. If it is stress induced passing or something else I would wait awhile before making any changes moves or additions. Let them chill and regroup. New arrivals are as stressful to current residents as it is for the new arrivals (just my opinion I could just be flaky in the head). Once they settle down you should be able to tell from behavioral cues what your next move should be. 

On 9/18/2021 at 11:54 PM, Guppysnail said:

I would wait awhile before making any changes moves or additions. Let them chill and regroup

Yes I am gonna wait a good couple weeks. Thanks for the advice, it just stinks another set back but I understand if I push too quickly it will be all for not. 

• Like 1

@Atitagain you are not alone in having to reprioritize and reorganize. 

Once I finally got well last year, I jumped back into breeding... only to find out I got lucky🙄 and I am a long hauler....

So reorganizing tanks to be lower maintenance for long term, and the ones I can't easily convert to low maintenance I am breaking down. 

I also have hard water, yet better than 60% of my stem plants are thriving. 

Heavily planted, dirted tanks do take more energy/ time up front. but get easier with time. Just a heads up for down the road. Plus, I like the tannins in dirted tanks.

I also discovered a nifty trick:

Roll a plastic canvas to the circumference you want, "stitch" shut with nylon fishing line. I put inside a planter or a food safe plastic tray.

Fill with "rinsed dirt" (like prepared dirt for a Walstad) and cap with larger gravel, or smooth river stones.

Plant.

I discovered stem plants can be planted by pushing the stems through the plastic canvas, and I get less melt😳

Place in aquarium, and cover the base with either gravel, rocks, or other hardscape. Again, this is more labor intensive upfront, but easier long term and gets great tannins.

Hope things balance out for you, soon!

On 9/19/2021 at 1:23 AM, Torrey said:

@Atitagain you are not alone in having to reprioritize and reorganize. 

Once I finally got well last year, I jumped back into breeding... only to find out I got lucky🙄 and I am a long hauler....

So reorganizing tanks to be lower maintenance for long term, and the ones I can't easily convert to low maintenance I am breaking down. 

I also have hard water, yet better than 60% of my stem plants are thriving. 

Heavily planted, dirted tanks do take more energy/ time up front. but get easier with time. Just a heads up for down the road. Plus, I like the tannins in dirted tanks.

I also discovered a nifty trick:

Roll a plastic canvas to the circumference you want, "stitch" shut with nylon fishing line. I put inside a planter or a food safe plastic tray.

Fill with "rinsed dirt" (like prepared dirt for a Walstad) and cap with larger gravel, or smooth river stones.

Plant.

I discovered stem plants can be planted by pushing the stems through the plastic canvas, and I get less melt😳

Place in aquarium, and cover the base with either gravel, rocks, or other hardscape. Again, this is more labor intensive upfront, but easier long term and gets great tannins.

Hope things balance out for you, soon!

Thank you so much, I put in an order will be trying the plastic canvas idea for sure. It seems the only stem plant I can get to thrive is pogostemon stellatus octopus and water sprite I like them just want more variety.

I love me some tannins as well 😊

No real work done in the room today. Didn’t have much time to spare until tonight and decided to take a break from rearranging and just enjoy. But before I talk about that I have more bad news in the rummys breeding tank. There should be 3 of them in there and I only seen 2 today. Not saying he’s gone ( I say he because the two that were out I’m sure are the females) but their rummynose they always stick together. If he’s not out in the morning I’ll have to do a search for him. If he’s sick or stressed I need to know and do something or not do something? Or if he’s passed I need to remove him. Ok good news in there, the two that were out ate really good. Gobbling up frozen daphnia really chasing and looked excited. Last night I seen all 3 eat but it was more hesitant and cautious feeding. And their noses are getting the red back fairly bright. Best I’ve seen since I started this project.2161483E-05B0-41DA-8CAE-52308558FA07.jpeg.71594d79ed254a46f15b5eacb46d0292.jpeg

The tannins in this tank are really starting to take off here’s with full light A4749E10-B63A-4E50-8F45-05DE10B328C9.jpeg.b03700aa09070458750446bde6ce0874.jpegthen here’s when light is in sundown mode and I have ambient light blocked 0A32A537-580F-4855-B4EB-4FD8DB378F3D.jpeg.324ca3017eae6ab52cf00bce15ee521b.jpegit’s hard to see in pics but IRL it has darkened a lot and I’m loving it. I want to go so much darker but need to so slowly from what I understand. Fish need to acclimate and it can cause the PH to fluctuate. 
I’m gonna be using tannins in other tanks as well, couple of methods I want to experiment with. One that sounds real interesting that @Torreywas talking about is using Miracle Gro organic soil, Need to read their journal then do some additional research.

in other news; I’m so happy with the two 60Gs the rummynose and cardinal tank…ouuuu weee!!! (Pic on previous post ⬆️) And now I have the angels, platy, peppered corys, and a few others (read post it note if interested) 509AFA11-5CA3-4E85-A811-32F764AB1D98.jpeg.08bb8f4545ccde4a29418da341973b35.jpegit’s so busy especially the paltys (20) want to breed more of them maybe get it up to (30) possible they might do it without help in this tank has more cover for the fry and I could add some Java moss. I think the angels are on population patrol. 
got the 20G fairly done last night just need background and some hides for the shrimp that I wasn’t expecting to have in there.DDABC2D7-5794-4A2D-9C04-F66BBB03AFBF.jpeg.b4f904b24677313b157734acb7764862.jpeg10B0E3A7-9B40-4358-95B1-13CB81298C36.jpeg.dac3c374c8f97999cfc90d907b38d517.jpeg6D1FF4C5-DE7F-4108-903A-10AFFBED788A.jpeg.08572432bb460c0b02de7e4e8d9eff3d.jpeg

one last thing, the Boss was out tonight and on full display. I need new lighting for this tank the ones that came with this 125G are very dull. The par reading is … oh who am I kidding I don’t really understand how par works let alone have instruments to test it. Let’s just say 👎. But seriously these are African cichlids they are too colorful to have such bad lighting. 🥴1E9A459E-A283-4D67-A87E-3D8FE6819837.jpeg.a781cc8780e159f42a5e28430bd69efc.jpeg

D51CAA56-FCC8-48BF-8D7F-3AEE5EC20D97.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Made some repashy morning wood this morning, cubes and rods (another idea from @Guppysnail 👍) will post pics tomorrow morning when feeding. Fed scraps today, them bristlenose love that stuff. I’ve became a big fan as well. Gonna try some different verities on next food order. 
Still can’t find 3rd rummy did a good search tonight, no luck. Other two ate flake well and looking better. Was excited I think I have 1M and 1F in there. 
mystery snails are getting good size on them. Coming up on 5 months old should be about ready to start breeding. That was fun collecting the clutches and hatching them out12365F23-FB07-40BC-ABAE-ED197FF8373B.jpeg.461de2698e5ab1938f9a02c08cfc526c.jpeg9B141C01-0735-41F6-877F-7CFBDEFC776D.jpeg.b2e1c23d95bf9aa689f8cd606cbcb04b.jpegif Your interested in breeding them Rachael O’Leary has 2 excellent videos how to go about it.

was gonna move bristlenose nose fry into grow out tank tonight but didn’t go through with it. I think their still too small, don’t want them having trouble finding food (it’s a half full 55G) or getting out competed by the other fry that’s at least double their size.

Edited by Atitagain
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I'll be starting the dining room tank soon. I filled up two 5 gallon buckets with the MG organic soil today,  and started soaking the soil in preparation. 

I'll start a new journal this week, so you can follow along and make a fully informed choice. Due to the combination of disabilities and life **waves hands at pandemic** I go pretty slow these days🤷‍♂️

I'm enjoying watching your progress, and glad it appears that you have a male and a female rummy left!

On 9/21/2021 at 2:16 AM, Torrey said:

I'll be starting the dining room tank soon. I filled up two 5 gallon buckets with the MG organic soil today,  and started soaking the soil in preparation. 

I'll start a new journal this week, so you can follow along and make a fully informed choice. Due to the combination of disabilities and life **waves hands at pandemic** I go pretty slow these days🤷‍♂️

I'm enjoying watching your progress, and glad it appears that you have a male and a female rummy left!

Thank you, that will be an interesting journal to follow. One of the best things about this hobby there’s always something else to learn or even to just go deeper into an aspect. The rummys are doing great last couple days. I’ll probably pick another pair from my shoal to acclimate in next couple days.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 9/21/2021 at 7:27 AM, Captain Salad said:

Be careful with the tv above the aquariums, I did this with a 65 inch and it ruined it a couple of weeks later, think condensation got in to the TV. 😞

Yes TY I plan on making a shelf or some kind of way to separate them. Might end up moving it but space is limited. Or removing it because I hardly turn it on. Thought was to watch videos/ live streams while in there but I concentrate on the tanks and don’t pay attention at all to the tv.

No work done today to speak of anyway. Found a couple surprise fry, their either red eye or rummynose tetra. Hopefully rummys but leaning towards red eye 92B0DB42-EC1C-4066-9735-C2FA43BE4CE2.jpeg.1720e4078665af50ebf00c6f63ac7693.jpeg4A65F262-95B9-4A0B-9F64-FF26944575F6.jpeg.6f277a8ec479846895ffa0ecc526cd16.jpeg

couple cool feeding pics2B29A112-C4DA-40CB-ADF4-DF0DD08277D5.jpeg.110d8e86d28dcf9f253a26e7cca0356b.jpeg09FB391F-B5F5-4B83-815B-75F9979CCB5C.jpeg.075099db34d8e520525347126454d1a9.jpegED53C582-BE7F-403D-97D2-DE6ECC068443.jpeg.054c6a0cc15dbb24d926955bdaa8cdf0.jpeg63C85522-6B83-4003-A00B-DFEB1628F93D.jpeg.941c91ea28e53ebb8abe5c9f233b8385.jpeg866F5569-F72F-47AB-95B2-1AFCB7CA0BDD.jpeg.4179cb91a66bb2faca07b186bc8c2916.jpeg

@Torreytold me about a way to get stem plants to grow better will be trying that out tomorrow will post pics . Tried working it out tonight but had to many distractions. Seems like a neat idea.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1