Atitagain Fish Room

Atitagain

Got some koi from my neighbors today. Been asked to care for them over the winter. Will need to do some research never had or even had much interest in them. They are some cool looking fish tho.DE77992A-762E-4425-82F8-F30D05C96C92.jpeg.9875ea68fd9f51b3aed8699e1c75636c.jpeg30EAE2F6-BDA2-4740-88A7-5B55808D8D04.jpeg.6ca527ca220682d612427090646fa289.jpeg7537BB91-09BC-4007-8E5D-52055E7DCCCD.jpeg.b5249d7ad60b89de38c44566029447db.jpeg987736DC-75F1-4D3A-AD5D-60B79D2EB0B6.jpeg.a5472b3e504621637ac2dd4297a05d00.jpeg

If you know anything about this breed or just koi in general I’d love to hear it. All I know about these two is they were bought at big box store.

update on pea puffers, ive caught all 3 and their in the new aquarium. Sad to say The trap didn’t work tho. I just keep a net close while I working in there tonight and when I’d see one I got them. Actually was fairly easy only took 4 tries to get 3 fish.DAAA01CA-EE91-4618-9801-2454DB36496D.jpeg.04d854fa82636fbd363c37d720bc244c.jpegFAAFBBF3-4583-4395-BB4B-C901A330DF45.jpeg.e4715afc62076cd41f3bcb647f4abf46.jpegCB3D0E34-0FCB-4F1F-8561-8B44FDFE7F4C.jpeg.b066384a592c7673943a8f65f19003be.jpeg

i think the two on the left are puffed up. In the last pic by himself it’s definitely the biggest of the 3 but he is definitely swelled up. Im worried about them ive never seen them puffed up. But their swimming around and exploring some so it’s wait and see I guess.

Edited by Atitagain
Speling
  • Like 1
  • Love 4

Putting a lot of fishroom time in on a themed tank (artistic design) Been having a debate about that expression lately too. Keeping a good eye on darkwater tank and pea puffers. Added some peat pellets to the HOB in PP tank 3 days ago still no darkening of the water. I checked parameters next day=same need to check again in the morning. If nothings changed will make some adjustments. Back to work I want to finish my artistic design tank bu tomorrow.

• Like 2

I think I’ve found a good balance I’m at 9 tanks. The koi tank hasn’t been to much extra work just really feed and siphon out bottom every few days. Finished up hulks Escape tank really happy with outcome.A787E5CC-5D63-4F82-B5F1-5FA3375EEEAC.jpeg.a0455c37631d36949e5c3dd7d168fb2e.jpeg

No fish yet and will be planted as well. 
pea puffers gave me a scare didn’t see but 1 of them all weekend. Then last night I saw 2 and wouldn’t leave the tank till I found all 3. After about 20ish minutes I saw a single eyeball coming from the center of the grouping of PSO. 👁 Been putting work in the 125G starting to darken up. Almost to where I originally wanted to be but I’m gonna go darker, just can’t go too dark for the plants to thrive. I did some trimming on the plants and planted 2 pots 3 Amazon swords each in the middle back0F3DB266-C5D0-4368-AC8D-9EE16EE018B4.jpeg.398675d3384ada577b45a4a4a19eaedf.jpeg

having an algae problem in the platy tank. So I cut back on their feedings and will address over the next couple days. I’m wanting to plant some crypts in there as soon as their ready in the grow out. Platys have started munching on the algae. 😃😃😃

• Like 4

My Aquatic Vivariums has been keeping me busy. In the 125G the root structure on right had failed and was sagging badly. When I set it up I thought I would be able to brace better with the branches. As most didn’t reach the bottom that didn’t work out. The plywood and aluminum cross brace seemed to hold well. The branches towards the front were down about an inch and one of the branches that actually touched the bottom had broke almost in half. I removed the plywood and reorganized the whole structure on top of a new log I added to the tank. I’m much happier with this set up, the look of it and it’s much easier access to canister inlet pre filter sponge and heater. D5772BD5-3979-468B-B27E-A0B10DBC09ED.jpeg.bcd1482053515dddbbd44681914e1734.jpeg

The platy/ angel tank as algae out break. Been dosing with easy carbon last few days, cut light time from 8 to 6 hours, reduced amount of food, did a good trimming of plants with algae build up, toothbrush cleaned tonight, and a couple water changes. The platys have been pecking at it as well. I also turned the lights today during the siesta period and there had to be a hundred baby-ish pond/ bladder snails. (Not sure which one because I didn’t know any were in there and I don’t see the parents) And they were all on the algae spots.

I’ll have to finish up in the morning, starting to nod off🥱

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Koi in aquaria, I did that as a teenager. Fond memories. First time I sold fish they were koi and comets.  Lots of water changes, getting the poop out, and agree with the feeding once a day. If you have duckweed they’d love to eat it. They don’t need a lot of light, with the waste it’ll just cause algae. They’ll grow fast I’d expect them by spring to outgrow the tank. 

The yellow black koi is Hi Utsuri - yellow on a black background but there’s some white so would be considered low quality but he/she may outgrow it and the orange and white is a Hariwake orange or yellow on a white background with some metallic in there, not enough metallic to be high quality once again it’s early days. They are young and there’s a lot of changes ahead. The koi breeder I bought them from as a kid told me they get judged initially at about 1-2”, then again between 3-6”, and over 12”- 24” they really start to come into their adult coloring and the colors are at their most intense then begin to fade as they take on girth. Big problem is fatty liver. Some can be feisty and how they’re handled (not using special nets, packaging them with other fish) can damage scales and things happen. I had a Kin Showa and an Ai Goroma with a couple of nice comets. That @Atitagainthose memories make me smile. 

@Beardedbillygoat1975 glad to make you smile. I’ve been doing some research on them for care and water conditions they prefer. Not that I don’t like koi they certainly can be beautiful but I hope these are back with the neighbors come spring. I have no place to keep fish that will get that big because they most definitely are not getting my 125G. I say this because I have not heard anything from them. They have not called or came by. They didn’t really seem interested in them to begin with and after I told them they will without doubt outgrow the little pond they have  I got that eye roll!!! 

Continued from last night…

Overall very happy with the fishroom right now. Might be a few problems but that’s the way it goes. Time management has actually been obtainable especially after finishing Hulks Escape now no major projects to consume time. It’s times like this where I step into the room and the joy and excitement are there. 
Wife got a really good deal on my Christmas gift and had to buy it early. She absolutely can not keep secrets so I got it already. It’s a mini refrigerator and freezer for my fishroom. It is so much better having that in there. My fish love it as well because they get repashy and frozen foods more. 

• Like 4

On 11/15/2021 at 6:52 PM, Atitagain said:

Wife got a really good deal on my Christmas gift and had to buy it early. She absolutely can not keep secrets so I got it already. It’s a mini refrigerator and freezer for my fishroom. It is so much better having that in there. My fish love it as well because they get repashy and frozen foods more. 

Nice! Our TV room has a little 80s style wet bar and mini refrigerator. It’s right next to my 75 and I feel spoiled every time I get to do a water change in a sink two feet from the tank. 

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Like 2

On 11/19/2021 at 4:27 PM, Patrick_G said:

Nice! Our TV room has a little 80s style wet bar and mini refrigerator. It’s right next to my 75 and I deep spoiled every time I get to do a water change in a sink two feet from the tank. 

Oh that would be so nice, we’re on basically a 5 year plan to buy a house and quit renting. That house will absolutely have a room for my tanks with drainage and hot/cold water supply. If she says it’s ok…lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/21/2021 at 12:19 AM, Torrey said:

Are you okay?

Not sure if you know, my 3 grandkids were “placed” in my home. Been in court last week, up down up down a wicked roller coaster all week. 11/30/21 will either be a great day or the most heartbreaking of my life.

sorry I have to be vague about details I’m on a court issued “gag” order. And I’ve already been trouble😬.That post was longer and I had to edit, I was ranting.

thanks for asking 

—positive vibes needed—

• Like 4
  • Love 2

On 11/24/2021 at 4:08 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

@Atitagainmay the scales of justice be with you and your family! 
On a happier and more fishy note how are the blackwaters coming along?

Thank you so much.

the blackwater tanks are going good. The 125G has darkened up nice and parameters are getting closer to what I’m looking for. It’s just a big body of water and it’s gonna take longer than I hoped. The 20G pea puffer tank I added a bunch of oak leaves, litter, and acorn caps and it barely made a difference to the tint. I love the look of them they have so much more detail than IAL. Also there free I will have to mix in some IAL and maybe Adler cones and what not. Was just hoping to be able to tint it dark with oak only and I don’t think I could get there.🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

On 11/24/2021 at 8:13 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

@Atitagaini think that it may take a bit of time to see them break down to tint the water. At 20 g using some tea or making a tea with leaf litter you could get there quicker.

Ahhh ok here I go again not having patience. I was gonna wait a bit longer, I’ll give a while and see what happens. It was the goal to keep it dark with all oak.

On 11/21/2021 at 6:06 AM, Atitagain said:

Not sure if you know, my 3 grandkids were “placed” in my home. Been in court last week, up down up down a wicked roller coaster all week. 11/30/21 will either be a great day or the most heartbreaking of my life.

sorry I have to be vague about details I’m on a court issued “gag” order. And I’ve already been trouble😬.That post was longer and I had to edit, I was ranting.

thanks for asking 

—positive vibes needed—

I'll light a candle for you, these family court cases are never easy.

Sending all the positive vibes your way!

On 11/24/2021 at 4:20 PM, Atitagain said:

Thank you so much.

the blackwater tanks are going good. The 125G has darkened up nice and parameters are getting closer to what I’m looking for. It’s just a big body of water and it’s gonna take longer than I hoped. The 20G pea puffer tank I added a bunch of oak leaves, litter, and acorn caps and it barely made a difference to the tint. I love the look of them they have so much more detail than IAL. Also there free I will have to mix in some IAL and maybe Adler cones and what not. Was just hoping to be able to tint it dark with oak only and I don’t think I could get there.🤷🏻‍♂️

The pond from my youth says oak leaves alone will get there, especially if you choose to boil them first and add the cooled "oak leaf tea" to the tank. Acorn tea is also great for darkening the water.

Forgot to add: watched SerpaDesign video from about 10 months ago, Tanner built a gorgeous dwarf pea puffer environment that made me think of you!

• Love 1

Fairly productive day, hopefully tonight will be same. I made some mopani tea, waiting for it to cool and then add to 20G pea puffer tank and use rest in 125G. It is darrrrk! #cantwait

Had a big algae problem in my plant grow out tank. Removed a lot of the plants week before last and ferts are still high because I was keeping nitrates around 40-50ppm. Cleaned that tank real well and changed about 60% of the water. Went to store and got a new planter I will be using. And I built a set up for some floating plant I have . I can’t remember what type it is maybe @Guppysnail will help me out because you suggested it (kinda.) You said this was your favorite species but a different type of it. Anyway this is so delicate so easy to break. I’ve been having a tough time getting it to grow and stay in place. I am certain it hasn’t grown since I got it over a month ago. Has had some roots shot off but that’s it. So I came up with this.

first off I made a bowl/ basket out of plastic canvas. Then added some fishing bobbers. Placed the plant inside and…C4EB8970-1A30-4790-B79A-39AD4DADC300.jpeg.f3f0ad370a8eae6b91fbc6df03390e4f.jpeg

95F7D292-A033-46A2-8E92-7618E17C8DAB.jpeg.d271ed908219240e6e5f132d3d944895.jpeg

it even rides the waterline during changes.

B003A525-F97A-4EB3-9F61-18363AEB7283.jpeg.fd74f4e227fdc9c8dc492d258b54ac6d.jpeg

Also today did W/Cs on 3 other tanks, toped off a couple more, and kinda redid my water change system. Nothing major but made it easier to move around room because I have to go low on a few tanks again.🤬

Set up a black worm tank, I hope to be able to keep them long term. And feed to some tanks.

Removed those ugly burlap curtains I had on the bottoms of my racks. Would rather figure something else out or leave as is until I can afford to build doors.

• Like 2
  • Love 1