Atitagain Fish Room

Atitagain

Made a couple changes to the sunset build. I wasn’t feeling the background maybe just needs tinkering but it didn’t have the exact effect I wanted so for now I removed it. Added some plant to the center, not sure what type it was labeled as “Tropical foliage “F4B6A9D1-C915-452A-B917-9B39EB809DB6.jpeg.0b86768597c5f7ca9ed718f7ce4882db.jpeg

adjusted pin point light now it reflects onto all 3 Anubias on the lower level. 43751E87-8EBD-48D5-87DD-20786D2DA7F8.jpeg.4c7f27ab49a3d4e776f45950e62b6f6a.jpeg

E36CD357-0CB7-4013-8BD2-5DA614CB77C9.jpeg.d86f5a8742c68e4b7b2c3082e326cfd5.jpegF51CC976-231F-4D4E-98F2-4C892510C6F7.jpeg.e73e64fa91bef2570180e213aa7bd0a9.jpeg

I think it’s much better without the background. Might bring back just a few leaves, or use slate standing on edge behind inside tank, or 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 6
  • Love 3

@Atitagain Had to use an app because I couldn’t remember even though I’ve seen it dozens of times in person and pics.  Looks like a variegated form of False Aralia (Plerandra elegantissima), gets up to 6’ tall even indoors, can be much taller outdoors.  Flowers but rarely fruits indoors.  Non-toxic to dogs, cats, and horses.  I’m certain I’ve seen bonsai versions of this plant.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2021 at 12:40 PM, Odd Duck said:

@Atitagain Had to use an app because I couldn’t remember even though I’ve seen it dozens of times in person and pics.  Looks like a variegated form of False Aralia (Plerandra elegantissima), gets up to 6’ tall even indoors, can be much taller outdoors.  Flowers but rarely fruits indoors.  Non-toxic to dogs, cats, and horses.  I’m certain I’ve seen bonsai versions of this plant.

6’ wow I read it don’t like to get moved either. If it takes off I’ll figure something out soon I’d rather put something in for long term. The way it’s built when a plant gets its roots down and scattered it will a very big task to get out of there .

Thank you for the info😁

Edited by Atitagain

On 12/18/2021 at 5:28 PM, Atitagain said:

6’ wow I read it don’t like to get moved either. If it takes off I’ll figure something out soon I’d rather put something in for long term. The way it’s built when a plant gets its roots down and scattered it will a very big task to get out of there .

Thank you for the info😁

Is there any way you could pot it and hide the pot in the tank while the set up is still “fresh” and developing?  If you limit roots and make the pot removable, you can treat it as a wet bonsai and trim roots and repot as needed.  It would be an amazing set of bonsais in this set up!

I can completely picture you working it into gnarly forms around that crystal ball!  Or even straight, “tall” forms like a trio of “trunks” off to one side.  I love bonsai forms but I’m terrible at remembering to water appropriately for typical bonsai, tiny, well-drained pots.

Pics below are from “The Bonsai Workshop” by Herb L. Gustafson.  Sorry, I don’t know how to rotate pics if my phone doesn’t do that for me.  There are many pics in this book, but I focused on trios or multiple “trunks” since you have a trio of plants already.

A7BA8A63-51B1-429F-A09F-325CEC65B496.jpeg

59AB9FB3-AAB0-4337-A859-62CDE23D721A.jpeg

A41E4E5F-FB5D-4B65-8A77-A90B4BC228E1.jpeg

432CCBD2-232A-426C-A5EE-9A68B1DD274A.jpeg

3F82D4AC-1830-478C-8E84-EA26B1F67DA3.jpeg

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

@Odd Duck hmmm you have my mind clicking. It really could be a cool set up as bonsai . Ok if say I leave as is willing to sacrifice the set up to tangled roots, I will be controlling the height with trimming/ pruning. Will the roots continue to grow for the life of the plant or will they only grow to the size of what is needed to feed the plant? 

@Streetwise yes I am fairly captivated by them I think it’s an amazing idea. This will be it for a while tho I wanna see how these go and make adjustments before getting another. Thank you for bringing this to me👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/18/2021 at 8:14 PM, Atitagain said:

Will the roots continue to grow for the life of the plant or will they only grow to the size of what is needed to feed the plant? 

Yes, they will continue to TRY to grow, so limiting growth by trimming both roots and tops will help to make it a true bonsai. More typical, dry bonsai, needs repotting since the roots will fill the pot so much that there’s no room for the fine root tips with their root hairs to continue to develop.  It’s the root hairs at the growing tips that absorb nutrients and water.  You have to create room in the pot for new root tip growth or the plant languishes.

In a tank, the roots will try to crawl out of the pot(s) so the roots won’t tend to crowd as much so top trimming, I think, will be more important.  I would guess this bush/tree will try to get lanky on you, so good light will be necessary to get thickening of the stems to give you that bonsai look.

On 12/18/2021 at 8:36 PM, Atitagain said:

@Odd Duck first bend set. 

Yay!  I’m really looking forward to seeing how you develop this!  Talk about a long term project!  You should be able to make fairly rapid initial progress on shape.  The long term development is going to be the tricky bit.  Persistence will be key!

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Made a few moves today, I moved Hulks Escape and the koi tanks.D1A26BD2-0E58-4AD1-A616-52990EA043B7.jpeg.4b5b948038ebdb999d345617d3df78e6.jpeg

both were moved to above the 75G. I gave the koi a log and couple big-ish rocks for hides. 20G(h), room temp(68-ish), no light, and 3/4” gravel. 81D9D62F-BE7F-4204-9F8E-D2C1C8E0E127.jpeg.86cc68a6b9704700014139e465712775.jpeg

3B5332F8-1F26-463B-A89A-9A4F69F4633A.jpeg.189059bb9d5371f17aa52b3f379753bf.jpeg

419B6EBE-13D1-490E-85FE-50A87838C9D3.jpeg.378cd201234f391f0be4cc09cb492336.jpeg

A7386BCF-9800-4D91-B4A2-D97363737A4C.jpeg.9a4cc2179f321345f4187f1502c4d678.jpeg

07BC6D08-367D-4E29-A35B-9CF3D73E9408.jpeg.9e1148b5b23c7ff96dfeec4f7e882cac.jpeg

Hulks Escape looks so much better on a slight upward view. Makes it seem bigger, more menacing, and can see more movement. Looks really cool.

also trying something new for organizing commonly used items. Was thinking about getting a hang on the door shelving unit like I seen in @Guppysnail’s fishroom. B8B4968D-4FED-46DD-83C7-73CCD612AC4D.png.db8d5c45910633cbc69aaa0f50ad6fa7.png

and I will but while I was looking I seen something that would allow me to store a lot of my commonly used items. It also displays very well . Most of these items almost seemed designed to be stored this way.94049E1B-3760-4514-A68E-64F459F1E2F5.jpeg.46da8d21c888f9d521f238ccf267e38a.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Love 2

I love bonsai! Mine aren't "wet" but I've had my Pomegranate bonsai for 11 years and it was 4 when I got it. Repotted it this year into a new pot to give it some room and me more time between root trimmings and ultimately this will be it's final pot with me (pics are right after I did it when dormant then the spring months later)- what I found interesting is though its original pot was very small- it was not filled and not rootbound at all. Could be because of the type of tree it is or my care, I have no idea! But things like that are so much fun so hope you have good luck with your wet scape, I'll be following along! Hulk does look Incredible, Ha!

Resized_20210531_065002.jpg

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
Better pic
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

@Atitagain thanks! That's pretty much the idea I'm aiming towards between that and a rolling green wave- every angle of the tree is very different- as you see it's a slow process- I mean I'm invested for 11 years so far. My inspiration is the saying that we must bend with the hard times or we will break- Something that Wayne Dyer said in a lecture: Be a Palm Tree in a Hurricane. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

With the holiday, new work schedule, and a bunch of projects going on in the fishroom I haven’t had much time to post updates. Been doing a lot of planning/ research for a business idea I have clicking in my head and may just pull the trigger and make a major move to make it happen. I only talk about that here because it is hobby related (not selling fish for profit). But not sure how deep I can get into it because I don’t wanna violate the self promotion rules of the forum.

I am a cabinet maker/ custom finish carpenter. I work in a fully functioning shop and have a shop in my garage. My idea is to promote Aquatic Cabinetry to add to a very well established shop. Not break off and make a huge investment this would be an additional department (in theory). I have designs for stands, accessories cabinets, and organizational parts. Knowing this would be a limited market and shipping would be a big issue to do in large scale, I can off set by ideas I have for wooden ornaments and smaller specialty pieces. I feel as risk would be low because it would be extra business for an already thriving shop at minimum. Investment would be building a few show pieces that I am gonna do anyway. And time that I spend promoting. So IMO small investment for possibility of big returns if it goes as planned.

G’day

• Like 2
  • Love 2

On 12/30/2021 at 9:02 AM, Atitagain said:

With the holiday, new work schedule, and a bunch of projects going on in the fishroom I haven’t had much time to post updates. Been doing a lot of planning/ research for a business idea I have clicking in my head and may just pull the trigger and make a major move to make it happen. I only talk about that here because it is hobby related (not selling fish for profit). But not sure how deep I can get into it because I don’t wanna violate the self promotion rules of the forum.

I am a cabinet maker/ custom finish carpenter. I work in a fully functioning shop and have a shop in my garage. My idea is to promote Aquatic Cabinetry to add to a very well established shop. Not break off and make a huge investment this would be an additional department (in theory). I have designs for stands, accessories cabinets, and organizational parts. Knowing this would be a limited market and shipping would be a big issue to do in large scale, I can off set by ideas I have for wooden ornaments and smaller specialty pieces. I feel as risk would be low because it would be extra business for an already thriving shop at minimum. Investment would be building a few show pieces that I am gonna do anyway. And time that I spend promoting. So IMO small investment for possibility of big returns if it goes as planned.

G’day

I like the idea and think you could get going well. Depending on where you live you may be able to get in with the surrounding fish stores as well. We have a fish store here in Dallas North that has custom cabinets that you can buy or options that you can select from them have made. I wish you the best of luck if you decide to move forward with it.

@Struggle thank you. Been thinking on this a good while and some aspects are already in place. I’m at a point of knowing I’m gonna do it but there’s a lot of moving parts I have to get to line up.

@Jawjagrrl Fish obviously love ACO videos why wouldn’t they? 😁 But I have taken the tv out of my fishroom. It very rarely got used, I find focusing on videos difficult when working in there. I always have to rewatch or I just ignore anyway. And if I try to watch a video in there when there’s nothing to do I still ignore and watch fish the whole time.

• Love 1