What music are you listening to these days?

OnlyGenusCaps

On 9/3/2022 at 12:01 PM, Tanked said:

Heavy Organ!   The pipe organ, and the skill to play it well has always captivated me. I'll listen to anything from Bach to Vangelis, but the covers of modern music are brain candy for me.  What ever quickens the pulse: Metallica, anything Game of Thrones, and sometimes something just fun.  @chrisharvey1160 Thanks for the reminder. Rammstein's Du Hast is in my favorites, as is an organ cover of Deutschland.

The pipe organ is one of my favorite instruments! It also sounds great with full orchestra:

Edited by CorydorasEthan
  • Love 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2022 at 10:37 PM, Odd Duck said:

He has other stuff that you might like better.  That’s one of my favorites for a mellow mood.  He does do primarily acoustic, though.  I like the tone and texture of his voice.  It feels like beach music when we’ve been jet skiing in the surf all day, we’ve had supper, and we’re just hanging out around the fire.

@Odd Duck Ben Howard's voice sounds like Passenger.

Speaking of Led Zeppelin, we saw both of these girls live this past month. Both played the lead role in an Off-Broadway production about Janis Joplin. Why these girls played the role of Janis Joplin becomes very apparent at about 60 seconds into the videos, replete with a classic, bloodcurdling, Rock & Roll scream at the end of each:

Whole Lotta Love - 2021

Helter Skelter - 2008

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 9/21/2022 at 12:05 PM, dasaltemelosguy said:

Speaking of Led Zeppelin, we saw both of these girls live this past month. Both played the lead role in an Off-Broadway production about Janis Joplin. Why these girls played the role of Janis Joplin becomes very apparent at about 60 seconds into the videos, replete with a classic, bloodcurdling, Rock & Roll scream at the end of each:

Whole Lotta Love - 2021

Helter Skelter - 2008

I don't know why but I can't access the links - says the videos are private?

On 9/21/2022 at 12:05 PM, dasaltemelosguy said:

Whole Lotta Love - 2021

Helter Skelter - 2008

ORD 😍 The voice on Dana is fantastic. I can see if she would be a natural to play Janis. 
I miss living in Vegas where I could go to see good live music all the time or take a weekend and go up to California to watch it. 

Here in Pennsylvania we get good old boys in run down grungy bars. Definitely not my scene. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

They put on quite a performance too. Really gifted musicians that almost no one has ever heard of! 

I miss living in Vegas too. Literally everyone performs there, and you're really close to beautiful wilderness. 

We also went here in Los Angeles:

I love pipe organ music. Especially Bach but also much of the 20th century organ works like Franck, Dupre, Widor and the avant-garde works like Xenakis and Cage. We recently went to a recital at the First Congregational Church of Los Angeles. A gigantic church sporting a pipe organ with some 20,000+ pipes:

First Congregational Church of Los Angeles

The church is as you’d expect, extremely reverberant and pipes are mounted throughout this massive space such that you feel like you’re sitting in a sonic cloud. We sat near the huge, 32’ pipes shaking the floors and walls so intensely, it actually modulated your voice like speaking through a fan!

There’s a 2-LP direct-to-disc recording of this organ that is long out of print called The Power and The Majesty which to this day is one of the finest (sound) quality recordings of a large pipe organ ever made.

@CorydorasEthan, thank you for posting the Saint-Saens. I’d forgotten how majestic it is.

• Like 3

On 9/21/2022 at 10:33 AM, Bev C said:

@dasaltemelosguy the girl singing Helter Skeleter is  Dana Fuchs she is amazing  been following  her some time she reminds me of Joss Stone another powerhouse vocal. both ladies are amazing 

Thanks. I love Dana Fuchs too. She has a few concerts on film, and they are older, so they are DVDs but amazing, nonetheless. 

Did you ever see the musical "Across the Universe"? It's set to Beatles songs. She plays the part of "Sexy Sadie"! 

You probably know of this one but there was a concert film ranking in Blues Blast magazine where the expected classics were present: Woodstock, Gimme Shelter, The Last Waltz, Monterrey Pop Festival, Live at Paradiso. 

I never heard of their 5th choice but when I did see the concert, it was pretty amazing. In the Blues track below, she lulls the audience (and climbs into the audience) into relaxing with a soft ballad. It takes about 2 minutes to really get going with an energy that is just incredible. Her vocal control and power are off the charts, something usually more common to the Opera stage. The vocal instructor Michal Towber calls her "Janis on Steroids".

Paradiso 2004

On 9/21/2022 at 10:33 AM, Bev C said:

@dasaltemelosguy the girl singing Helter Skeleter is  Dana Fuchs she is amazing  been following  her some time she reminds me of Joss Stone another powerhouse vocal. both ladies are amazing 

Thanks. I love Dana Fuchs too. She has a few concerts on film, and they are older, so they are DVDs but amazing, nonetheless. 

Did you ever see the musical "Across the Universe"? It's set to Beatles songs. She plays the part of "Sexy Sadie"! 

You probably know of this one but there was a concert film ranking in Blues Blast magazine where the expected classics were present: Woodstock, Gimme Shelter, The Last Waltz, Monterrey Pop Festival, Live at Paradiso. 

I never heard of their 5th choice but when I did see the concert, it was pretty amazing. In the Blues track below, she lulls the audience (and climbs into the audience) into relaxing with a soft ballad. It takes about 2 minutes to really get going with an energy that is just incredible. Her vocal control and power are off the charts, something usually more common to the Opera stage. The vocal instructor Michal Towber calls her "Janis on Steroids".

Paradiso 2004

• Like 1