What are your current breeding projects?

BriannesFishFam

Last summer I bred my angels and kept 8; so now i'm tight on tank space but my lemon blue eye keeps laying eggs so maybe one day i'll snatch them and hatch them; and I'd love to breed my Laetacara araguaiae but I think they need near black water to breed. Next summer I will move and be able to expand my measly 200 (5 tanks) gallon of tank space into 2000 (10 tanks) tank space and I'll have some ro water available so my next set of fishes to breed will be the araguaiae, nijjensi and elizabeth. That'll keep me busy for a bit.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 7/16/2021 at 7:06 AM, Andy's Fish Den said:

Fish currently breeding/ have fry growing out: Blue tail goodeid, bloody mary neo, blue dream neo, PRL and pure black line caridina, bronze cory, weitzmani cory, aspidoras spilotus, koi swordtail in my outdoor tub

Fish I have and either waiting until larger or trying to spawn: Xenotoca variatus, leopoldi angelfish, heckel discus, sterbai cory, venezuelanus cory, L333 pleco, neo multifaciatus, neon dwarf rainbow

Greetings!

Just curious of how the koi swordtail breeding effort is going? I just picked up three pairs myself. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

• Like 2

Old thread, but I'll answer:

As my sig says, sustainability is key. That means they have to breed themselves, so: endlers, snails, and neocaridina (saddled, but not yet berried).

And I have male and female dwarf red coral platies in the mail - which USPS may or may not be attempting to get to me. 🙄 Hopefully they'll be here no later than 9-3-21.

On 9/1/2021 at 7:00 PM, jhern149 said:

Greetings!

Just curious of how the koi swordtail breeding effort is going? I just picked up three pairs myself. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

The last time I looked into the outdoor tub, which was last weekend, I saw a few babies. I didn't get them until mid June, so I didn't expect a whole lot of babies by the time I'll have to bring them inside, which will probably be in the next few weeks here in NW Ohio. 

On 9/2/2021 at 5:47 AM, Andy's Fish Den said:

The last time I looked into the outdoor tub, which was last weekend, I saw a few babies. I didn't get them until mid June, so I didn't expect a whole lot of babies by the time I'll have to bring them inside, which will probably be in the next few weeks here in NW Ohio. 

That’s exciting! 
Have you been doing the outdoor tubs for a while? I had no idea about them until recently listening to the Ted Coletti podcast back in Jul. How significant is the growth/ development that you see from the fish when bringing them back in? 

I'd like to breed my sterbai. I had captured 20 eggs but most fungus because I was lazy. I had one fry that was 2 weeks old but i think last night it managed to escape its container. The sterbai lay eggs frequently but i have to pay attention because the honglois like to shadow them and eat the eggs as they lay them.

On 9/2/2021 at 8:09 AM, jhern149 said:

That’s exciting! 
Have you been doing the outdoor tubs for a while? I had no idea about them until recently listening to the Ted Coletti podcast back in Jul. How significant is the growth/ development that you see from the fish when bringing them back in? 

This is my first summer doing a tub outside, I've been wanting to do for several years, but wife kept saying no to the idea. I found a 150 gallon Rubbermaid on marketplace for free and got it and set it up behind the garage and she never noticed for almost a month. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

On 9/3/2021 at 6:02 AM, Andy's Fish Den said:

This is my first summer doing a tub outside, I've been wanting to do for several years, but wife kept saying no to the idea. I found a 150 gallon Rubbermaid on marketplace for free and got it and set it up behind the garage and she never noticed for almost a month. 

🤣🤣🤣”for almost a month” 

it’ll be exciting to see the progression once you bring them in!

On 9/3/2021 at 3:02 AM, Andy's Fish Den said:

So funny! My wife only goes into our woodshed once every two-three years. Maybe I should start a fish farm 🤣

• Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/15/2021 at 9:26 PM, RogueAquarium said:

I just posted a video where I show off my new fish room and talk about all my breeding projects. Already posted it under my photo journal so I feel a bit silly posting it here as well, but it's a cool look into what I'm doing and what progress I've made.

For a quick run down:
I am working on a new kind of guppy. I want to make "Koi Guppy" that look like actual koi. those are in the pond in the video. I have got the orange spots on white body, but want to go for calico.

I'm also trying to get "Santa Clause" guppy's. I started with one and random females, and what I have now is the 3rd tank.

Then there is my newest fish, the Pseudomugil Luminatus (blue eye neon red rainbow fish) Just got the males 2 days ago. Super excited about this.

I am likely to start a 3rd guppy breeding program with some of my culls who have got this BEAUTIFUL emerald green color to them now.

We have a pea puffer trio who we someday hope will have babies someday

I will be doing a Pygmy cory breeding tank in the next month or so

and I have several neo-Caridinia breeding programs revolving around my Main line of blue diamonds.

Just curious where did you get your Pseudomugil Luminatus?

I'm going to be ordering some neocardina pumpkin shrimp for my shrimp bowl soon. As well as perhaps some limia, or some other types of livebearers. There are some limia for sale on the wetspot. I haven't ever seen limia for sale in my area, buts its a fish I've always wanted. Perhaps they'll eventually end up in my summer tubs this summer.

I turned down the temps in all the tanks, and broke down the patio pond since I caught kids jumping over my patio wall.

We may have an early frost, so I took advantage of our local aquarium club's weekend auction to rehome ~ 100 endlers, and the danios won't be breeding again until spring.

I'm propagating plants like crazy, however!

*Full Disclosure: I left the house with ~ 50 endlers, and a few dropped babies before the club auction. 

I donate my proceeds to the club, to help get us back up and running from covid.

• Like 4

On 9/3/2021 at 11:02 AM, Andy's Fish Den said:

My wife has lost count of how many cheap/free second hand tanks I have stored in our shed and I like it that way 😂 

Think I could get a fish room built without her noticing? Haha

• Haha 2

On 9/26/2021 at 12:38 PM, eatyourpeas said:

Not intentionally, but Archibald Spooner (Albino corydoras) was very busy this morning laying eggs. Ojitos, the Sparkling gourami is equally busy trying to eat them...

And that appears to be the end of that breeding opportunity (and the potential threat fo needing another tank). They all took turns at eating the eggs and none are left. I am thankful I got to see the whole spawning process, though! 🙃

• Like 1

I recenty had births of Ginga sulphureus guppies, my blueberry platies who arrived pregnant from the LFS when I got them, and a guppy or guppy/Endler mix I don't know the name of that came from a local club sale. The female is 100% plain gray fish, the males Endler coloring and long tails that look like divided deltas--not exactly forked but more like a pair of bell bottom jeans. I'm excited to see how those fry will develop.

The GS fuppy fry are the tiniest I've ever raised. They are eating Hikari first bites and at nine days old are still only about the size of a platy fry on day one, but already changing to 'little fish' bodies. Super cute.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I forgot about this thread! 

I got 7 dwarf red coral platies in the mail 29 days ago. They've already had 3 drops of fry, and I've managed to get 42 safely into the baby net. So exciting! It's also interesting that they're born peach-colored instead of silvery gray like guppies and endlers. The oldest fry are almost 3 weeks old, and already have turned from peach to apricot, on their way to red. Based on their age, I bet I'll have another drop in less than 2 weeks!

If we ignore the fact that I'm moving soon... this is great! 😍

Edited by CalmedByFish
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

On 10/1/2021 at 12:45 PM, CalmedByFish said:

I forgot about this thread! 

I got 7 dwarf red coral platies in the mail 29 days ago. They've already had 3 drops of fry, and I've managed to get 42 safely into the baby net.

Wow! 42! That's amazing. I think the largest number of fry I've found has been seven from one birth. Not sure if it's young moms or predation that is responsible for the small numbers but they're okay with me because I only have so much tank space.

On 10/1/2021 at 5:47 PM, PineSong said:

Not sure if it's young moms or predation that is responsible for the small numbers 

Perhaps I should let you know that as I was trying to net fry during a birth, I saw the mom pop one out, and instantly snap around and gulp it. It's entire lifespan in the water was about 1 second. 

But yeah, being young can cause low numbers too. Of the 3 drops I've had, the youngest mom had the smallest drop. (And Miss Gulp was fully grown, so they might get "better" at predation as they have practice.)