What's the worst advice you received as a beginner?

ange

The worst that I can remember receiving is when I had my first betta and it came home with fin rot. I had looked for treatments and seen that aquarium salt was recommended for initial treatment and started to do that. When he didn't improve, I went to a forum (not here) for advice. The recommendation that I received was to do a full water change to get the salt out of the system and use ONLY Seachem Stressguard as treatment, because salt and meds are harmful. That betta died within weeks because the fin rot continued advancing to the point where it affected his body.

I'm not mad at the people who gave me that advice because it probably worked on their fish that came home with a less advanced disease. I'm upset that I let misinformation get the best of me and I killed a fish because of it. I believe that every hobbyist will make every mistake but it doesn't sting any less that I messed up with treating disease.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I have red root floaters and they're pretty poor competitors in my tanks so I've had the most luck dosing them with Easy Green + Iron. I've never dealt with deficiency in my dwarf lily or rotala but the floaters really need the extra boost from it haha. They're also my newest plant so not very well established and that could be part of it.