What's the worst advice you received as a beginner?

ange

"Oh! For your betta, I would recommend this 0.5 gallon aquarium." A Petco employee once told me that, I ended up just buying a 10 gallon of Craigslist. Nice tank, I filled it to the brim with plants and my betta is doing great. (I purchased my betta from a reputable betta breeder in my area, I was just testing their knowledge.) :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dean’s Fishroom said:

The baby 3" fire eel will do fine in my tank of several hundred neon tetras.

Well it did do just fine, 2 months later it was a 6" fire eel and there weren't any neon tetras left.....  😔

I mean, they were right. He did fine when he was 3''

I was told at a pet shop that no longer exists that a dime-sized marbled superveil angel would be a perfect addition to my dorm room in college... in a three gallon tank.  About 9-12 months later, when the bottom fin dragged on the gravel and the top fin was always out of the water, "Reggie" was donated to the science department, where they had a massive empty tank.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I can't believe the things I got away with as a youth with well water. I would sometimes do 100% water changes on my tanks with plastic plants, rinse my filters with hot water, plus all sorts of stuff with under gravel filters. If there had have been any chlorine or chloramine in my water, I probably wouldn't be in the hobby today.

This was pre-web, and I didn't have any books or magazines.

I can't remember any tips from those days of Madonna and GnR, but I was good at DIY carbon replacement for undergravel filters. 😉

Edited by Streetwise
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, ADMWNDSR83 said:

I was told at a pet shop that no longer exists that a dime-sized marbled superveil angel would be a perfect addition to my dorm room in college... in a three gallon tank.  About 9-12 months later, when the bottom fin dragged on the gravel and the top fin was always out of the water, "Reggie" was donated to the science department, where they had a massive empty tank.

Was the top fin dry?

When I was a kid, my dad would tell us to empty our tanks and clean with soap and water all the decorations, gravel, and the tank.  I remember always going to pet smart to buy more fish.  I now know why...  (I have since educated my dad)

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Casey said:

When I was a kid, my dad would tell us to empty our tanks and clean with soap and water all the decorations, gravel, and the tank.  I remember always going to pet smart to buy more fish.  I now know why...  (I have since educated my dad)

Same! But we never went and got more fish. I think my dad was tired of taking care of the tank... One big cleaning like this and all the fish were dead indeed!

• Like 2

That there’s no meds for hole in the head and that my only hope was to try beneficial bacteria for salt water and I bought it (it stunk up my room) it didn’t work, thought my last fish of 8+ years was dyeing he made it almost 2 years like that then I got my first smart phone(and access to the internet) a bunch of research later I learned all about the suspected cause but not how to cure it found some aquarium co-op videos bought the general cure and now it’s not spreading anymore and actually healed a decent amount (after having it that long I know it’s not gonna heal all the way) and his colors have been brighter than I’ve seen in a long time now we’re on 12+ years and counting and I’ve developed multi tank syndrome but in the end it’s all good

Edited by Kyle Knox
*stunk not sunk
  • Like 3

Probably the worst advice i ever got was when i first got into the hobby and i was keeping 2 pea puffers. At the time, i wasn't the smartest but i will say i have learned my lesson. I asked a store employee what you could feed these guys and he gave me a container of cichlid gold. Probably my favortite food to feed my fish now, but not the best thing for pea pufferes.

• Haha 1