Baby puffers in the tank.... mind blown ...what ?

An interesting behavior noted for adults is the dominant male and one female have been in his flower pot cave since the 17th of July (9 days). The last 3 days have been even more noteworthy because the male and female take turns leaving the cave for food or to chase other puffers and fish away.  

Now the question is when to check the cave and pull the almost certain fry from a puffer species that I am confident is saying is a fairly prolific cave spawner with parental care, to some degree, in my colony setup. 

Edited by mountaintoppufferkeeper
  • Like 3

On 7/27/2021 at 12:14 PM, mountaintoppufferkeeper said:

An interesting behavior noted for adults is the dominant male and one female have been in his flower pot cave since the 17th of July (9 days). The last 3 days have been even more noteworthy because the male and female take turns leaving the cave for food or to chase other puffers and fish away.  

Now the question is when to check the cave and pull the almost certain fry from a puffer species that I am confident is saying is a fairly prolific cave spawner with parental care, to some degree, in my colony setup. 

That’s exciting! I’m a fan of actually not pulling eggs or fry, but in a situation like this where pulling them is imperative to their survival, I would wait until seeing some physical sign of eggs or free swimming fry. Maybe you could rotate the cave somewhat so as not to really disturb the fish in an effort to see into the cave? 

• Like 1

@DSH OUTDOORS LOL. Sorry about that yes just one more tank should be finewhich has now got me settimg up a second rack system :).  Im assuming the eye spot is for predator confusion alomg with their extremely fast speed bursts from that puffer tail its probably an excellent combo. 

Very neat to see the drastically different pattern between the fry with the red spot eye spots, the parents with no red at all, and the adult male darker pattern and different head shape vs the females. 

• Like 2

Day 19. Getting sizable every feeding and behaving more like puffers with two way interactions now. Happy I have the COOP  Ziss brine shrimp hatcher process going well for my set ups; certainly a primarybreason these started feeding well and have been getting bigger seemingly every hour. Almost to our daphnia,scuds, bloodworms with vitachem, and sub adult cherry shrimp stage of foods for these first few F1 P.palustris. 20210729_142425_1.gif.178255b06d136edcb4037d49881587da.gif

• Like 4
  • Love 5

Big day today day 21 ..... we have moved the puffer fry to their first grow out, a 9 gallon, in the left rack system. I expect they will stay there for a few weeks before we quick swap out to a 20  or 28.20210731_140440_1.gif.2e047d39922142696dedeb70eb499e39.gif

Their upstairs roomates Pelvicachromis subocellatus "Moanda", in a 28 gallon on the shelf above, just decided today was time to leave the cave and introduced me to their first kids.  20210731_092617_1.gif.e2110d15eef43db04010025c5e3acbc2.gif

Edited by mountaintoppufferkeeper
  • Like 5
  • Love 2

• 1 month later...