Baby puffers in the tank.... mind blown ...what ?

On 7/12/2021 at 3:28 PM, lefty o said:

that is pretty cool. i have no idea what you feed tiny puffers.

Me either 😁. Learning on the job with this batch.

Vinegar eels, first bites, algae and mulm is my current plan. Live baby brine once they can eat them. Pretty tiny at the moment but good practice for the hairy puffers whenever they give me some fry 

• Like 1

On 7/16/2021 at 10:44 AM, Colu said:

One of life's happy accident  congratulations on breed success

Indeed. Thank you. The colony of 6adults with the plants and caves set up were in hopes of fry but I figured they would be a while before I hit it right on the triggers. I didn't really expect it would work within their first month on the mountain based off the hairy puffer pair slow walking their courtship over the past few months. So fun to have baby puffers. I'm enjoying the success of knowing that I got them happy enough to produce fry. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@Patrick_G I believe they may be the first captive born P. palustris in the United States and possibly anywhere but im not completely sure. I haven't found anything about a captive breeding prior to this one in my research. If the members of the forum have not heard of it being done before they almost certainly are the first captive born mekong puffer in the United States.

Edited by mountaintoppufferkeeper
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@xXInkedPhoenixX The remaning 5 of the 7 fry found on monday (at 3 days old) have an excellent shot to make it; but the puffer fry info is light so im just learning as I go using the past experiences.

My adult group is 1 dominant male, 4 females, and 1 either subdominant male or a 5th female based off of their dimorphic belly pattern differences. Hopefully this is more of a long term multiple fry batches project but if not this has been a pretty great week of puffer fry so far. 

• Like 1

On 7/16/2021 at 8:35 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I hope you get multiple batches because that's pretty incredible. Have you posted pics of your tank/individuals. I looked on your profile for some but didn't see any. 

Funny thing .....this morning one of the females paid him a visit the acrylic needs a little magfloating but didnt want to miss it 20210717_092326_1.gif.ec392535d5aa6e327b8c04ba771c739c.gif. The darker coloration with black belly and white pattern is the male, the lighter coloration are female. Its pretty crazy hoe different the colors can be. VideoCapture_20210716-150029.jpg.a0a25e542717ebe49b50effe676e8769.jpgVideoCapture_20210716-150015.jpg.dd043c31cde3d858fe701523d3ae3174.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Fry update later this evening but for now the Male and one female shared his cave today for a while. Feels like a great sign. The pattern change is one which makes me think more eggs and fry could be on the horizon. The puffer that heads in the cave is one of the females that normall looks light green with black spots. The male is in the cave and has the reciprocal blotching pattern. Neither was interested in defending against eachother so that cant be a bad thing. 20210717_143100_1.gif.de165bbcb8523eebc33177f395970b90.gif

Edited by mountaintoppufferkeeper
  • Like 2