Baby puffers in the tank.... mind blown ...what ?

On 11/10/2021 at 3:27 AM, Crabby said:

Oh how interesting! Just a sudden transition? And was it all of them?

Yes it was at least the 8 that are most out and about on the afternoon of the 16th day. They all hatched pretty much simultaneously over an hour or two. I'm assuming its an age thing and they need more food for growth now so instinct has them actively hunting more as a result. It was pretty much a flip if a switch behavioral change. My first batch left in with male was harder to see the change in since they were in breeder boxes for most of the first month. This group has a 20 that is nothing but live foods, cover, a controlled heater, a box filter, and puffer fry

Edited by mountaintoppufferkeeper
  • Like 1

Not sure on snails the 20 with these fry have blackworms and scuds. There are ramshorn and Malaysian trumpet snails of all sizes as well. I'd assume they might already be eating smaller snails but have not seen that yet. They mostly investigate the driftwood and plants for food and eat the brine when dropped in 

• Like 3

On 11/25/2021 at 9:55 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Too stankin cute and such a cool natural camo- they're pretty convincing eyes. Do you know if it's supposed to mimic another natural predator in the wild or? 

Since only the fry have the spots in palustris it must be to avoid being eaten by bigger fish/ predator. 

Its interesting that neither of the palustris adults have eye spots at all and the fry have pretty significant ones. I found the below paper about the eye spot on fish in general seems like the answers are pretty all over to distract, to intimidate, for no reason, etc. 

https://appliedecology.cals.ncsu.edu/absci/2013/08/false-eyed-fishes-fool-predators/

• Like 1

No joke, they certainly do NOT seem to know, but I can see where that would be a hard thing to prove since probably years of research/following fish like these in the wild and seeing what results is probably the only way to get even near an answer, but very interesting! So your adults have no signs of prior eye spots? No pattern or color left behind?

• Like 1

They do have the ability to reverse colors for spawning which I find pretty amazing. In both their casual and "formal" attire there is nothing but a normal dark spot there as adults.

With the direct comparison of these photos it is interesting to see that the fry lack all the solid adult spots of their parents and only have what is basically a camo pattern with the two eye spots so far.  

It will be educational.for me to see when that swap happens and what type of behavioral changes, if any, occur 

Adult female spawning colors 

20211124_102807.gif.61d7ef10ee413efa31dab30822ee9bb5.gif

Adult females in normal coloration

20211109_191221_1.gif.27218cce4de46910d59148ad75a6a6c1.gif

20210624_122003.jpg.bf11595dc4f1eb812d39cb05373cbceb.jpg

Fry coloration

20211122_070306.jpg.f833430eab853a740e37aec7fe208f69.jpg

Adult male spawning colors 

20211124_102002.gif.1e8e2da3667415c90915b1fd709dcaf5.gif

Adult male bottom center normal colors 

20210624_121751_1.gif.8bce3b40d28906455d65d30a874ef85a.gif

Fairly varied species color intensity and pattern wise 

Edited by mountaintoppufferkeeper
  • Like 6
  • Love 1

They're so cute! I am excited to see more of them hiding in there. I wonder what the grand total will be.

I have swordtail fry in my 75g that I find more of as they get bigger. When I first found them I thought I only had 6, last week, maybe 10, yesterday I counted 13.

Then, one of my new guppy females had surprise babies in the 20g. I've seen 3 babies so far. There's tons of cover, so I'm sure I'll count more as the weeks go by.

• Like 1