2 Otocinclus Died Within 2 Weeks Apart

Shmowgen

I hate creating these posts.

I have a 20 gal tank that had a diatom algae overload. I got two Otos to help manage it and maintain a clean tank. 2 weeks ago one Oto died unexpectantly and I just found my other one dead this morning. My water levels have stayed pretty consistent and I try to check their stomachs to see if they are nice and full but after the first one died, I noticed that the remaining Oto was hiding a lot more which made sense. But it made it difficult to see if he's been eating. 

I'm trying to look for factors that could affect this. Lack of food could be one of them. It's possible they weren't eating (even though there is algae in the tank but maybe not what they liked). This worries me because I have a Siamese Algae Eater as well and I really dont want anything to happen to it. 

The only other thing I am noticing is my ph is a little high (7.6 on "low ph test and 7.4 on high ph test). My water from the sink is at around 6.8 so something in the tank is causing it to rise, I think. Everything else for my water is really good. Which is frustrating because I do my best to keep my water great for the fish.

I just don't know what else could have caused them to die all of the sudden.

Thanks for the help/advice.

How long have you had this tank set up? Otto's in my experience are kind of hit or miss. They either live or die within a few weeks of getting them. I have a few in my tank that I have had for about year and they are thriving, however I did lose a few before I got them to thrive. Otto's tend to do better in a tank that had been established for a while. 

• Like 2

I used to have 6 Otos, lost 2 few months ago, during the last 6 weeks I have lost the rest, one day that have just stopped eating. Water parameters are very good and I change water on a regular basis.

I think that I am done with this fish.

Edited by BenA
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/11/2021 at 11:55 AM, Patrick_G said:

I’m sorry you lost your Otos! You mentioned you had a bloom of diatom algae. Is it a new tank? Are you able to post Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrate levels? 

The Diatom bloom was quite a while ago. The tank has cycled since then. I'm currently showing 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite and around 5-10ppm of Nitrate.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2021 at 12:38 PM, ccurtis said:

How long have you had this tank set up? Otto's in my experience are kind of hit or miss. They either live or die within a few weeks of getting them. I have a few in my tank that I have had for about year and they are thriving, however I did lose a few before I got them to thrive. Otto's tend to do better in a tank that had been established for a while. 

I've had the tank up since January I think. I kind of agree that Ottos seem to be hit or miss. I might wait to introduce any more if I get them again. I do really like them versus getting a pleco.

On 6/11/2021 at 1:19 PM, BenA said:

I used to have 6 Otos, lost 2 few months ago, during the last 6 weeks I have lost the rest, one day that have just stopped eating. Water parameters are very good and I change water on a regular basis.

Yeah, sounds similar to what ccurtis was saying. I do really like these fish. I'm not sure what else I would get instead of one. I don't really want a pleco.

I have new otos now and you guys are making me worry. Right now they are in a quarantine tank which has lots of plants and algae in it (using it to grow out plants for display tanks). Despite the large amount of algae in the tank, I worried about whether they were eating. Their bellies did not look full. I put in some Soilent Green (Repashy) and they ate it. Now their bellies look full.

Otos are amazing but they can be especially fragile, especially when not kept in groups.  If you are buying otos from a store that has not fattened them up, there is a fair chance they may or may not make it through getting adjusted to your tank. Most of the time I do not want to drive almost 3 hours to get healthy otos, so I buy from a big box store. When I do this, I know evven though they try at this location, that I will see a percentage of them pass.  

Here is a fun little video from Chris at Fish for Thoughts on Otos. He compares them and samiase algaes to stats as if they were video game characters / DnD characters.

Edited by Ben_RF
  • Like 3

Interesting video, Ben_RF. Thanks. I bought 4 giant otos, then saw a video that emphasized they do not thrive except in large groups. Then I ordered 4 more, so now I have 8, which I hope to put in a 115 gallon tank when they graduate from the Qtank.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your fish. How long did you have them? Otos are notorious for being starved by the time they even make it to the pet store and can be past the point of no return before you get them in your tank. 

What @Mmiller2001 means by did you medicate them is did you do a quarantine procedure before putting them in your tank. A lot of fish keepers myself included feel it is important to quarantine fish after you bring them home. This help prevent any disease or parasites they may have from spreading to your other fish. Many of us also medicate the quarantine tank preemptively rather than just observing them for signs of disease.

When I buy otos I pick out ones with rounded bellies (that means they're eating) and refuse any with sunken ones (that means they're starved). Then I feed them for a few days before I start quarantine. 

I've found they can have a hard time adjusting. Whenever I've gotten them usually out of a group of 8 one or two won't make it through qt. It can be the change is water parameters or not enough food or just stress of moving that take them. I do love my ottos though. Once established they seem to do well. Btw I have them in pH 8.4..

On 6/11/2021 at 2:53 PM, Ben_RF said:

Otos are amazing but they can be especially fragile, especially when not kept in groups.  If you are buying otos from a store that has not fattened them up, there is a fair chance they may or may not make it through getting adjusted to your tank.

Thanks so much for that information! I lost mine and they were eating but not gaining weight, so still can't figure out what happened. I may not try again if they are that fragile. 🙁

• Like 1

I learned the hard way myself. As has been mentioned I have since learned it wasn't necessarily anything *I* did- these are wild caught fish, often not fed enough- once they go past the point of starvation they will often still eat (all 6 of my first batch ate like crazy, didn't stop 5 of them from dying within a week of getting them- and btw they all had rounded bellies when I got them) and were ALL active and no signs of illness - but once their gut has experienced the starvation it doesn't matter how much they eat- they will likely still not survive. So despite you being careful about picking Otos (round bellies) they still only have part of a chance. My 2nd batch, from a different fish store- all made it and I ended up having to treat them for Ich. I've found once you're past a month you're pretty safe to say you have some permanent pets. Don't give up on Otos if that's what you wanted. They are SUPER cool. 

• Like 2

On 6/11/2021 at 6:43 PM, eatyourpeas said:

Thanks so much for that information! I lost mine and they were eating but not gaining weight, so still can't figure out what happened. I may not try again if they are that fragile. 🙁

On 6/11/2021 at 1:19 PM, BenA said:

It is not something you are doing...But they are usually wild caught. If they eat and don't thrive, then die slowly and sporadically, I would suspect parasites. We can treat for that proactively...Not that it is always easy.

Mine have been solid little guys. But I also have excessively acidic soft water, which is basically their happy place. My little guys are basically living the good life and so they are ok, but if they came a long way, had a rough trip, your water is not to their liking, they have trouble finding their prefered food, AND they have a parasite load...well... sometimes it is just one thing too many. This is one of the species I hope to breed locally in the future. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

@Brandy I agree parasites are a big consideration with wild caught fish. I will never know now if my first batch had one, again no signs of it (not that it means anything). My second batch already had Ich that I noticed of course as soon as I released them into the quarantine tank (don't ask me why I didn't see it before). I treated them with Paraguard- they did REALLY well. Paraguard took care of the Ich and likely any other parasites that came with them- like I said they all made it through.

(and now I have lots of little babies and didn't even do it on purpose) 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Love 1

I have re-learned that not all parasites are succeptible to all antiparasitics. I have been heavily researching this as there are a lot more options today than there were 15 years ago when I last left the hobby. It is both cool, and dizzying.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2021 at 3:35 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I've found once you're past a month you're pretty safe to say you have some permanent pets. Don't give up on Otos if that's what you wanted. They are SUPER cool. 

Lovely fish, I agree. One of them and the last to die was named 'Fatty', it had such a tummy, eating non stop. They didn't touch any of the fancy food that I bought, only cucumber (they used to make hole in it), diatoms and algae. I had them for 4 months and then...one by one.

Today I bought X6 Crossocheilus reticulatus and X1 Tiger Hillstream Loach (will get more over time).

• Sad 1