Since I already see the advice to learn first and take action second...

I'll add that if you wouldn't love having a specific species as your ONLY species, you're not going to love having it as one among many either. Many water critters either live a long time, or breed perpetually. If you wouldn't love it as your only species of water pet, don't get it.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Sal said:

Yeah mine would definitely be STOP TOUCHING IT (ie, leave it alone, let it be, etc...) which I guess is relevant in all aspects of life.  😂

LOL still learning this lesson, as my destroyed nails from constantly diving into the tanks to fuss with a plant, filter, rock, snail, whatever can attest!

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Sal said:

Yeah mine would definitely be STOP TOUCHING IT (ie, leave it alone, let it be, etc...) which I guess is relevant in all aspects of life.  😂

This one is definitely a struggle for me - Its in my nature to tinker with stuff. Ill cut the lawn and hear a sound then waste 2 hours tuning a perfectly good carburetor. I love mechanical things that can optimized and performance can be measured; you get a return on investment instantly. With my tank its more like you change lighting by 10 percent and check back in 2 weeks; hope in that 2 weeks the other variable stay constant. 

The forum has been a great sounding board for me to protect myself from myself, and manage my expectations. I've also found that testing water, and keeping a log has helped me feel like I am getting to do something to the tank everyday. I think it tricks my brain into thinking I got to tinker, but without me actually doing something (likely something not helpful) to the tank. 

That being said there are those late night thoughts that always sneak in and say "get another tank - you'll get to tinker twice as much."  

Its been a great lesson in learning to be still and see details I've never seen before....

• Like 4

I would tell myself to relax and enjoy it more at the very beginning. But I would also tell myself to feel less guilty--not of killing fish or anything, but of spending "frivolous" money on myself. This hobby is fun, and more tanks, bigger tanks, really are better (who really needs a couch anyway?). In retrospect I regret a lot less than I expected to, and the hobby has greatly contributed to my mental health during a stressful time. I needed this, and it really has been "cheaper than therapy". 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Krakens_tanks said:

I would love to hear @Cory words of advice to himself in his early years of fishkeeping I'm sure that would be some earth shattering knowledge bomb lol

In no way discouraging him from sharing here on this thread 🙂 but I think he did in the "3 aquarium discoveries that changed my fishkeeping hobby" livestream and on episode 20 of the aquarist podcast, which I just listened to. 🙂 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brandy said:

In retrospect I regret a lot less than I expected to, and the hobby has greatly contributed to my mental health during a stressful time. I needed this, and it really has been "cheaper than therapy". 

Considering that the tank aty therapist office is what triggered my fish keeping I feel this on such a deep level keeping fish has done wonders for my PTSD

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SWilson said:

In no way discouraging him from sharing here on this thread 🙂 but I think he did in the "3 aquarium discoveries that changed my fishkeeping hobby" livestream and on episode 20 of the aquarist podcast, which I just listened to. 🙂 

Where can I find the podcast I keep meaning to listen to it??

36 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Not much has changed since 1936 when I first posted (thumb tacked actually) this advice on the Aquarium Co-Op's wood framed cork bulletin board:

image.png.0ea8007faec4b2d58aab0a1988094e03.pngimage.png.f5cd5ed56263d43a7b99b421c6b47d4c.png

I don't know about you but now I want to know how to heat my aquarium with an oil stove

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Kirsten said:

I don't know about you but now I want to know how to heat my aquarium with an oil stove

Here are several ways to heat your tank without electricity:

1159209747_30sTypesofHeating.PNG.445f0c1

My 1930s aquarium was setup to be heated like this:

1623367795_30sheaterhole.PNG.7952c7cd1db

• Like 3