House for sale with huge built-in Aquarium

Fish Folk

On 6/8/2022 at 6:31 AM, Guppysnail said:

That is crazy cool. You get to scuba dive while doing maintenance!  I love the rock look. 

We are in different camps here. I think the rock overlay is gaudy. Lol but to each their own.

It is my dream to have a large 3500+ gallon fish tank in my living room at some point in my life so it’s nice to see others share these dreams. On a biologists’ salary though I may have to keep dreaming 😋

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

On 6/8/2022 at 1:08 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

On a biologists’ salary though I may have to keep dreaming 😋

I feel like there has to be some kind of "...a penny a day" response nearby. On a serious note, it would be really neat to have some sort of large "slice of nature"/biotope tank in the house where you could try and mimic what it would be like in the wild. (reminds me of on of king of DIY's big tank projects)

• Like 4

The listing shows the outdoor pool which clearly has natural filtration by bog and aquatic plants.  My kind of pool!  Filling that with white clouds (maybe all goldens so they’re easier to see), platinum rice fish, blue eyed lemon bristlenose plecos, maybe a whole family of dwarf gouramis, and some cories, of course.  Have to think of what else.

Can you imagine swimming through clouds of white clouds and rice fish?  Goosebumps thinking about it!  😍😍😍

Would have to be heated, of course.

• Love 2

On 6/8/2022 at 6:17 PM, Fish Folk said:

It would be hilarious if a dozen or more NERMs set up a place like this as a Time-Share. You get it for one month per year, pro-rated based on season.

What would be the magic winter temperature for rainbow shiners and white clouds, I wonder?  Add some aeration and a little more circulation, a nice pebble tray, and indefinite shiner supply.  Might need a few more bog plants for indefinite white clouds.

And the magic number for a $3.75 million dollar time share?  Think they could be talked down to $3.5 mil?  😆  It’s big enough, we could rent it out for events.

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Love 2

I feel like a hypocrite because I'd love for my fish to have all that swimming room, but I do not want to see it! I'm creeped out by that much water indoors. I'm the odd NERM who doesn't like to visit large aquariums where large fish are at face level behind glass walls, I guess. 

I'd love the pond and the library and if you guys are buying I could put a whole lot of 20g longs in a house that size, lol. Maybe move all the way up to a 40 breeder in that kitchen!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I love this house!!! My only issue is the contrast of rock against white plaster walls, it's... not soothing. The picture of the rock around the aquariums that shows the rock "hewn" hallway?

Perfection. 

Of course, my favorite part of traveling in Mexico was spelunking the caverns around the cenotes and seeing the cool fish, so recreating that in a home would be awesome.

I wonder if the HOA would prevent turning this into a Nerm BNB, if enough of us could put money in the kitty?

With 6 bedrooms, we could have nermcations....

• Love 1

On 6/8/2022 at 3:13 PM, Dancing Matt said:

I feel like there has to be some kind of "...a penny a day" response nearby. On a serious note, it would be really neat to have some sort of large "slice of nature"/biotope tank in the house where you could try and mimic what it would be like in the wild. (reminds me of on of king of DIY's big tank projects)

I've crunched the numbers, and at a penny a day it would take a bit over 10,000 years to save up enough. (Give or take.)

Love the idea but the rockwork seems more suited to a public aquarium than a living space. I would anticipate a low spousal approval factor on this one, ymmv.

I have to say though, I'm a huge fan of tanks that pop out into a space rather than trying to be flat against a wall. If I ever live in a house that would accommodate it I'd love to have a built-in 75 as a peninsula or between rooms.

Can you imagine misplacing your car keys in this house?  It has far too many really nice spaces, I like rocks/nature, so the lower level aquariums and cement pond/pool are the only interesting features for me.  More creative than gaudy,  I like the Flintstones look.  I can't figure out why that is the least photographed part of the house.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 6/10/2022 at 10:23 AM, Tanked said:

Can you imagine misplacing your car keys in this house?  It has far too many really nice spaces, I like rocks/nature, so the lower level aquariums and cement pond/pool are the only interesting features for me.  More creative than gaudy,  I like the Flintstones look.  I can't figure out why that is the least photographed part of the house.

I would absolutely have to attach some kind of key locator fob to my hubby’s keys or they’d be forever lost in the first hour.

I suspect the average home owner isn’t that interested in giant fish tanks unlike us nerms.  I was also disappointed in the lack of photos of the tank but at least there were a few more of the outdoor pond/pool if you go the actual realtor listing.

• Like 4

On 6/10/2022 at 1:27 PM, Odd Duck said:

I suspect the average home owner isn’t that interested in giant fish tanks unlike us nerms.  I was also disappointed in the lack of photos of the tank but at least there were a few more of the outdoor pond/pool if you go the actual realtor listing.

I had to study the picture awhile before I was sure that the space on the left was an aquarium. The listing also mentioned a 5 car fishroom🤣

Wooooah. $3.5 would get you a "decent" home in the Bay Area if you're lucky. But it would be like 1400 SF and your neighbors are less than 4ft from you. Also, no backyard. You get a slab of concrete with a table and a pot of succulents. 

I'm trying to figure out how you would even do maintenance on the tanks.

On 6/10/2022 at 5:28 PM, Cbass said:

Wooooah. $3.5 would get you a "decent" home in the Bay Area if you're lucky. But it would be like 1400 SF and your neighbors are less than 4ft from you. Also, no backyard. You get a slab of concrete with a table and a pot of succulents. 

And this is why I don't live anywhere in CA. About the only place that was remotely affordable was also nicknamed Fontucky... so🤷🏼‍♂️

• Haha 3

On 6/10/2022 at 6:28 PM, Cbass said:

with a snorkel and swim fins!😜

• Like 1

On 6/10/2022 at 7:17 PM, Torrey said:

And this is why I don't live anywhere in CA. About the only place that was remotely affordable was also nicknamed Fontucky... so🤷🏼‍♂️

Yeah. Not thrilled either to be in CA but I’m at a point where I’m stuck for awhile. So in the meantime I’ll live vicariously through home listings with massive fish rooms and a pond out front. Lol. 

• Like 1

On 6/10/2022 at 7:28 PM, Cbass said:

The footprint for that house is larger than my entire lot, and it isn't the largest house in the 'hood!  

Maintenance is easy.  You throw one of the kids in the aquarium and tell them to get busy, or you take away the slot car room, trampoline and swimming pool.

• Haha 2