Moved the pretty sword to Geppetto’s tank and took out 2 suffering plants. I chucked those in the back of the other tanks to see if they will spring back. The cube isn’t permanent but it is keeping him entertained. I can tell I will need to reorganize the tank every so often because he will start pacing. Learning curve to keeping an intelligent fish! Also I suspect he did a little bit of tail biting before the change was made. 🙁06B418BE-7E22-4272-AE79-C43A9AA9382E.jpeg.947405ee64d5bdac1ba8ac19cc933a1c.jpeg

4EA8EE51-8761-47A1-9338-A406ACF9C8D5.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Geppetto poses similar challenges like my pea puffers regarding interior design. I have some of my plants growing in little clay egg pots so I can easily move them around every now and then. Then after a day they come to the front of the tank and give this triumphant look: “I am done! Can we do that again?” 🐡

He is beautiful!😍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Something is going on with Geppetto. Trying to sort it out here.

Before adopting Geppetto I “energetically took notes” on @xXInkedPhoenixX colossal idiot thread. Given this is fin rot, based on my notes there are 3 alternatives to treat it: salt, maracyn2, or Kanaplex. I’m just waiting for confirmation that fin rot is what it is.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

On 1/21/2023 at 8:22 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Before adopting Geppetto I “energetically took notes” on @xXInkedPhoenixX colossal idiot thread. Given this is fin rot, based on my notes there are 3 alternatives to treat it: salt, maracyn2, or Kanaplex. I’m just waiting for confirmation that fin rot is what it is.

In the photo I don’t see any blackened, clear or red edges. Those look torn to me. In person can you see those things on the tattered edges?  If not it is most likely not fin rot. 

On 1/21/2023 at 9:12 AM, Guppysnail said:

In the photo I don’t see any blackened, clear or red edges. Those look torn to me. In person can you see those things on the tattered edges?  If not it is most likely not fin rot. 

Look at the dorsal fin, looks like spines. But no blackened, red, or clear edges. Everything I put in his tank , if any question at all as to snag, I sand it down.

8B63D26E-0B3E-4FEC-A091-279901D350AA.jpeg

On 1/21/2023 at 5:22 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Ammonia does things like this.

If temp is good (over 78), parameters are good, then I would do a good water change and add in salt + kanaplex + ich-x

I do see some "stuff" on the edge of the fins.  so some sort of sign of stress might be indicative of the behavior issues you've seen that led to adding the cube.

As mentioned by Phoenix, I treat frayed or damaged the same as fin rot and go from there. Especially with barbs it just happens.

Screenshot_20230121-105526.png

• Thanks 1

I would treat any fin damage with low dose salt and very clean water if there is any doubt about regrowth happening, and just watch.  Unless the edges are red or even a bit pink, or if the edges show signs of eroding away, or just don’t improve in a few days, I wait and see. If there is any sign that they are not growing back, then for sure salt.  Then if worsening, then Kanaplex (Kanamycin by whatever brand name) goes in the water.  If the Kanamycin doesn’t start things back on the right track, or especially if red or pink doesn’t clear up or if it worsens at any point, then Maracyn-2 (Minocycline) because it is absorbed from the gut - put it in food if the fish will eat it, otherwise dose the water.

Mostly a thin clear margin developing at the fin margin is usually new growth, but it can be erosion.  You have to keep a sharp eye on the fin margin to know which it is.  I have a guppy that managed to get some significant tail damage (could have been tank mates or goofy guppyness) but his tail is already growing back and showing that clear margin to the tail edge that is regrowth.  I can tell because his tail margin looks smoother, not more ragged, along with having a little more length than the day it happened.

Sometimes I just look long enough daily to make sure it doesn’t look worse, then assess for fin/tail regrowth every other day so you can see more change.  If you try to assess regrowth and change in length every day the change is too subtle to be noticeable.  As long as the tail/fin isn’t clearly worsening, they will nearly always regrow.  It’s easier to “see” regrowth and lengthening if you look for it every other day, but worsening is easy to see daily because that tends to happen faster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

On 1/21/2023 at 1:58 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Ammonia does things like this

Here is what I put in the disease thread:

Temp 78

Nitrite 0

Ammonia 0

Nitrate 10

gH 180

kH 80

pH 7.5

Despite what I believe are good parameters, I did a 50% water change, again adding the IAL tea, and Prime. Temp has been increased to 80.

@Odd Duck are the nerite and the plants going to be ok with the Kanaplex?

• Like 1

On 1/21/2023 at 2:44 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Here is what I put in the disease thread:

Temp 78

Nitrite 0

Ammonia 0

Nitrate 10

gH 180

kH 80

pH 7.5

Despite what I believe are good parameters, I did a 50% water change, again adding the IAL tea, and Prime. Temp has been increased to 80.

@Odd Duck are the nerite and the plants going to be ok with the Kanaplex?

Plants, yes, nerite, I don’t know.  I’ve treated tanks with other snails in there with no apparent ill effect to them, but not with nerites.  Maybe @Coluknows?

Edit to add:  you can always remove the nerite to another tank but very carefully.  You can badly injure them by prying them off surfaces.  It might be easier to move Geppetto to another tank for treatment if you can’t find any info on if nerites tolerate Kanaplex.

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Thanks 1

On 1/21/2023 at 3:49 PM, Odd Duck said:

Plants, yes, nerite, I don’t know.  I’ve treated tanks with other snails in there with no apparent ill effect to them, but not with nerites.  Maybe @Coluknows?

Edit to add:  you can always remove the nerite to another tank but very carefully.  You can badly injure them by prying them off surfaces.  It might be easier to move Geppetto to another tank for treatment if you can’t find any info on if nerites tolerate Kanaplex.

Yeah Kratos has industrial strengths suction. I can’t move him unless he’s on a rock or something, then I can move the rock. Prepping the QT tote, already have a sponge filter well seasoned, just have to get the water to temp.

• Like 2

On 1/21/2023 at 9:23 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Yeah Kratos has industrial strengths suction. I can’t move him unless he’s on a rock or something, then I can move the rock. Prepping the QT tote, already have a sponge filter well seasoned, just have to get the water to temp.

Kanaplex can effect snails and shrimp   if your going to use it with snails or shrimp in the tank I would add it to food it shouldn't affect your plants when I have used it in my planted tank I haven't noticed it affect my plants

IMG_20230119_143743.jpg

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 2

On 1/21/2023 at 3:59 PM, Colu said:

Kanaplex can effect snails and shrimp   if your going to use it with snails or shrimp in the tank I would add it to food it shouldn't affect your plants when I have used it in my planted tank I haven't noticed it affect my plants

IMG_20230119_143743.jpg

Kanamycin is not absorbed through the GI tract of any species that has been studied so far.  There really is no point adding it to food.  It’s one that should go in the water.  Maracyn-2 can be added to food as it is absorbed through the GI tract or from water.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1