Snails

PattysAquatics

I would like to get “pest “ snails for my tank. I was unlucky to get any from my numerous plant purchases from Aquarium co op. I have a huge colony of MTS in another tank but want other ones. Do you think the local Petsmart in my area will give or sell there pest snails in there tanks and are those even good snails? 

6 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

I would like to get “pest “ snails for my tank. I was unlucky to get any from my numerous plant purchases from Aquarium co op. I have a huge colony of MTS in another tank but want other ones. Do you think the local Petsmart in my area will give or sell there pest snails in there tanks and are those even good snails? 

I really cannot see why your LFS or even a big box pet store would not be willing to give you a couple of pond snails.  Give it a shot and make sure you report back.  If they say no it will be interesting to hear why!

1 minute ago, Randy said:

I really cannot see why your LFS or even a big box pet store would not be willing to give you a couple of pond snails.  Give it a shot and make sure you report back.  If they say no it will be interesting to hear why!

Ok cool , will let you know what they say. I have to stop in there tomorrow after work. 

• Like 1

Well I went the Petsmart in my town and they said they can’t sell or give them away. She was actually quite rude. Unfortunately it is the only fish store in my county. There is a Petco and LFS in the next county 20 minutes away I can try. Also thank you Randy for the link for the local fish clubs. I have heard of a few of them here In my area  and will be interested in doing some research on them. 

• Like 1

@Grizzly if you don’t find any locally i can ship you some out, just cover the shipping. i have plenty in my tanks. 

edit: cory doesn’t allow giveaways on here for good reasons he mentioned. hope you can find some local to you, try posting a looking for ad on craigslist/fb/offerup etc asking for some. 

Edited by yannachka
  • Thanks 1

@Grizzly I got my MTS from a local pet store chain. I bought a couple of fish from the tank and said hey can you throw a couple of those little snails in there too. After the worker to find the sku and being told those are just in there he can have them by the manager. Boom I got my snails.

Local fish club/FB fish group best place to get them. You will probably be able to get some cool colored one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Both the Petsmart and Pet Supplies Plus were willing to give them to me for free they usually have them waiting in a Betta Cup when I came in. It is definitely easier to ask in person because people can be confused and rude over the phone. Most of them are just happy to get rid of them!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, FishObsessed said:

I know I'm late to this, but what is the benefit of pest snails?

• Look cool
  • will eat algae or left over food (helps cycle the flow of energy and food in your aquatic ecosystem)
  • snail poop feeds the infusoria that my tiniest baby feed eat
  • Like 3

I think pest snail is a bit of a misnomer.  Any snail you don’t want is a pest, but if you want it, how can it be a pest snail?  @Daniel has the right of it, they are an attractive and important part of the micro ecosystem we are building in a box of water.  

BTW: my current favorite snail is the Japanese Trapdoor.  So cool!

• Like 2

I got my MTS and pond snails from the Co-Op.  At first, I freaked out, but now I embrace them and spread them around to my other tanks.  I know my LFS has them on their plants too, but haven't bought any from them.  It took a month or so for me to notice them.

Also, I forgot to mention that my cleanest tanks are the ones with pond snails and MTS.  Those tanks don't have a bit of algae and I don't ever have to gravel vac.

Edited by RyanR
  • Like 2

"Pest" snails are really cool!  I was concerned when I found my first hitchhikers and even moreso when they started to reproduce exponentially, but they have leveled off, and they are interesting to watch as they glide along the surface of the water as if they are walking across the ceiling.  They are also pretty... I have ramshorn which are shades of orange and bladder snails which seem like a solid gray at first but as they get bigger, you can see patterns in the shells. I have a few in each of my three tanks, and a colony in the QT tank keeping it cycled. 

Best of all, they were free!

• Like 1

I also like to use them when I’m cycling my tanks! They eat the algae you always get at the beginning and they produce ammonia, which helps start the cycle. You can get a huge population boom in that environment, but I have yo-yo loaches so I can just give any extra snails to them. 😋

• Like 1