Co-OP plants with snails

Evonda

I have some nano tanks.  I have nerite snails in every tank I own.  I don't mind the snails that came "free" on the co-op plants.

My question is what kind of snails are they,  how big will they get and how much of a bio-load will they add to my tanks.  They currently look like tiny micro seeds but are growing fast.  They're cute!

Thanks.

15 hours ago, Evonda said:

I have some nano tanks.  I have nerite snails in every tank I own.  I don't mind the snails that came "free" on the co-op plants.

My question is what kind of snails are they,  how big will they get and how much of a bio-load will they add to my tanks.  They currently look like tiny micro seeds but are growing fast.  They're cute!

Thanks.

As they get big enough, if you get some pics I'm sure people here can help ID them.  I know lots of people consider these things "pests" (my wife hates them) but I absolutely love them.  They also help keep my tanks spotless of algae.

For bioload - barely anything noticeable - in fact, they are great for plants to create natural fertilizer/etc 🙂

Edited by aquachris

I had something trumpet snails come in with my last order, but they are apparently too small for my assassin snails to bother with. They keep breeding but stay much smaller than any other trumpet snails I've seen. 🤷‍♀️ I've just come to accept that planted tanks and "pest" snails go hand in hand.

I obtained a lot of hitchhikers with my COOP plants, and I was alarmed at first when I saw all the tiny "seeds" on the walls of the tank!  Since then I have really enjoyed watching them, especially the Ramshorn, which float around and  almost look like they are "walking" across the top of the water upside down. They are a really pretty orange.  I have come to accept that they are a part of the ecosystem, and all of the tiny seeds never made it to adulthood so they are somewhat self-limiting.  I like seeing them patrolling all of the plants now and I haven't noticed that they add to the bio-load.  

On 10/4/2020 at 7:29 AM, aquachris said:

As they get big enough, if you get some pics I'm sure people here can help ID them.  I know lots of people consider these things "pests" (my wife hates them) but I absolutely love them.  They also help keep my tanks spotless of algae.

For bioload - barely anything noticeable - in fact, they are great for plants to create natural fertilizer/etc 🙂

Personally I LOVE snails, though it took me a long time to accept the pond/bladder snails. I think the turning point for me was when I realized how low the bio-load from my shrimp is, I nearly crashed my cycle when starting a new colony because they didn't produce enough ammonia. Snails ended up keeping my cycle going through the early stages of the colony.

I got some too with one of my orders and I don't mind them too much.  They multiply fast and every once in a while, I vacuum some up for population control.  I recently noticed that they might be trumpet snails.  Any opinions?  

PXL_20201003_221433782.jpg

12 minutes ago, ange said:

Personally I LOVE snails, though it took me a long time to accept the pond/bladder snails. I think the turning point for me was when I realized how low the bio-load from my shrimp is, I nearly crashed my cycle when starting a new colony because they didn't produce enough ammonia. Snails ended up keeping my cycle going through the early stages of the colony.

Yeah, it took me time, but now that I'm there, I do appreciate them.  They do have a better bio-load for sure than a small shrimp colony and combined keep a nice consistent setup..  And for me, they all are food for puffers HAHA.

I actually have been enjoying having both ramshorn and bladder.  I'm to the point I kinda want Malaysian trumpet (stir the substrate) and possibly some of the blue or red/pink ramshorns just to spice it up 🙂

I haven't seen them take over at any point, though I think a large part of that is due to my two Amanos devouring everything and leaving very little behind for the snails. The only ones that I've noticed reproducing are my ramshorns.

8 hours ago, RyanR said:

I got some too with one of my orders and I don't mind them too much.  They multiply fast and every once in a while, I vacuum some up for population control.  I recently noticed that they might be trumpet snails.  Any opinions?  

PXL_20201003_221433782.jpg

Looks like little trumpets to me. 
I love ramshorn and MTS. I’m so so on bladder snails mostly because they overpopulate compared to the other two due to their ability to self-reproduce. Luckily I have a tank with a puffer and a tank with loaches so I can selectively prune and leave my favorites. 

I use MTS snails in most tanks to help stir the sand. They seem the best defended so far - at least, those are the fewest empty shells I see. And they don’t leave sticky egg patches everywhere which is nice. 

• Like 1

I must be super lucky.  I thankfully have not had any snails hitchhike on my plant orders from the Co-Op.

I don't mind mystery snails, but any snail that lays eggs all around the tank I'm not a fan of.

Sad, because I really like the way nerite snails look.

Edited by CommonCurt