On 7/4/2021 at 1:34 PM, Trish said:

And what is that fish called?  Beautiful, but it makes me want to get out of the water!

Ah, there is something I can talk about :) This is a medium-sized (~1ft long) snakehead, a common food fish here in China. They are predators, they like to hang around the shores, and I have a nagging suspicion that they spend some time out of the water too (because when walking around the ponds it's very common to hear a loud splash and then to see a big snakehead swimming away from the rocky shore. Very similar to an encounter with a basking turtle, but the splash sound is different). They are very pretty indeed, even (or should I say, especially) when they are small. They are also incredibly slippery, like a thousand times more slimy and slippery than any other fish. 

• Like 1

On 7/3/2021 at 11:09 PM, Fonske said:

Ah, there is something I can talk about :) This is a medium-sized (~1ft long) snakehead, a common food fish here in China. They are predators, they like to hang around the shores, and I have a nagging suspicion that they spend some time out of the water too (because when walking around the ponds it's very common to hear a loud splash and then to see a big snakehead swimming away from the rocky shore. Very similar to an encounter with a basking turtle, but the splash sound is different). They are very pretty indeed, even (or should I say, especially) when they are small. They are also incredibly slippery, like a thousand times more slimy and slippery than any other fish. 

Oh... they get bigger!:classic_wacko:

On 7/4/2021 at 2:13 PM, Trish said:

they get bigger!

Yes, at least in circumference :)  The maximum length I have seen in the wild (or supermarket) was about 1.5ft long, but they get much fatter, maybe 4-5" in diameter. The one I photographed is probably just a bit over 1" in cross-section. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been on vacation with my family in Gatlinburg, TN this week, been staying in a friend's cabin up in the mountains. I grilled some burgers the other night and then a couple hours later, my kids started yelling that there was a bear coming down hill across the street, turned around, sure enough there was! Then a while later, looked out the window and there was a mama and four cubs walking down the road. IMG_20210726_201604471.jpg.457b1d717ede997eb23ab0466c0f4462.jpgFB_IMG_1627517138163.jpg.75f2a1e2ca5da1d2d5b85b7ab27e84bf.jpg

• Like 6

On 7/2/2021 at 1:33 PM, Streetwise said:

Whenever I look at moths now, I imagine how they look under UV and IR!

3683F9EA-4147-4CEE-B192-1D2B81F81A2C.jpeg.133557293009ab401baab18dbd54841f.jpeg

A rosy maple moth, my niece in Germany has been bugging me to take some pictures of those for her for a while, just haven't seen any around.😄

• Love 2

On 7/3/2021 at 9:51 PM, Fonske said:

Local wildlife is mostly hiding in the shadows these days

black-swan_01.jpg.acf464cbf1cc926709002a4a18cd8bd0.jpg

ducks_01.jpg.550f0ad50fbe6c1d97b6d17aa3585b57.jpg

hoopoo_01.jpg.d3e6613e4545dbad70371ff473dfef14.jpg

snakehead_01.jpg.2ba1e8e99164262d22f16ab131010a29.jpg

A Eurasian hoopoe where are you located @Fonske if you don't mind me asking?

Just saw in the next few posts that you are located in China. I have a friend in Germany who is also a nature and wildlife photographer who couldn't get pictures of the hoopoe in Germany, where they spend the summer, so his client sent him to South Africa to make it happen.

Edited by Jungle Fan
Got my question answered in next post
  • Like 1

On 8/1/2021 at 7:05 AM, Jungle Fan said:

ust saw in the next few posts that you are located in China. I have a friend in Germany who is also a nature and wildlife photographer who couldn't get pictures of the hoopoe in Germany, where they spend the summer, so his client sent him to South Africa to make it happen.

Hm, interesting... I have never seen hoopoes in Europe (or anywhere else, actually) before coming to China. My first encounter with these magnificent species happened here in Beijing, in YuanMingYuan park. They usually come in pairs, once I saw a trio in the middle of a pretty fierce fighting. They don't seem too skittish, so if your friend ever wants more of them, he might consider China as an alternative to South Africa :)

• Like 2

They occur pretty much in all of Europe with the exception of the U.K., Ireland, Scandinavia, and the Netherlands. The European hoopoes winter in Africa, but the South African population of hoopoes stays put and doesn't migrate.

Bernd said he'd just try to catch them in Hungary during the summer if he gets another commission for pictures of them, they are supposedly more abundant there. When they sent him to Africa was in the fall after migration had started, and the publication was on a deadline. China would be a bit more out of the way, pricier with the flight, and iffier with the restrictions I would think.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurasian_hoopoe

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...