Driftwood

Casual aquatics

I used one of those home depot muck buckets, it's like 18 gallons? Dumped really hot water on it then let it sit out there for a couple weeks? I left it in there until the water stopped looking like tea. I still leeches a bit in the tank but not bad.

Oh, and wow what an awesome piece of wood!

Edited by Griznatch
add more
  • Like 1

On 9/25/2021 at 10:28 PM, Casual aquatics said:

Can we say score!!!!! I know most people boil tgere drift wood but what do you do if it's too big! Lol beautiful piece 

20210925_142231.jpg

20210925_142226.jpg

20210925_142224.jpg

20210925_142215.jpg

Nice! 

I would say bathtub too but then I think if I tried that it would be grounds for divorce haha. 

Just a thought, seachem flourish excel (co op has their one too right? Easy carbo?) I'm sure I read somewhere that the main ingredient is used as a disinfectant in other fields - theoretically could we use that to disinfect/clean it then rinse it really well? Would be small amounts left I'd imagine that shouldn't be a big deal right seeing as we can literally dose it direct to the tank?

• Like 1

I have a black, heavy duty, trash barrel I use for soaking wood and it stays outside in the Texas sun so the water gets very warm.  I weight down the wood with a handy brick, after I blast it as clean as possible with the hose (depending where I got it and how “natural” it is).

Some pieces have stayed out there for weeks to months depending on how soon it sinks or how impatient I get.  I fairly recently acquired some slate pieces to sink some wood that took far too long to sink on its own.

• Like 2

Yea I soaked it three days got impatient its in my tank now 🙃 😆  it's as natural as it gets too part of s tree that had broke off at some point fell in the water and been there a good while to the water level dropped  enough forvit to be sticking out and me see it anyway had some moss growing on it which I know will die off  but that ok I'll probably wake up in morning to tank brown as can be. But we will see 

• Like 1

On 9/28/2021 at 1:53 PM, ARMYVET said:

WOW thats awesome!!  To have a score of a beautiful piece of wood and then to have a tank actually big enough to utilize it well...ok I am officially envious!

PS

You officially suck!🤣

Lmfao thank you good sir/mam cards just landed in the right place for me which usually is not the case 😅  what's your biggest tank ?

On 9/28/2021 at 2:23 PM, Casual aquatics said:

Lmfao thank you good sir/mam cards just landed in the right place for me which usually is not the case 😅  what's your biggest tank ?

Currently or ever? 🤣

I currently have 18x 20 gallon ...3x 5 gallon...1.5 gallon cube and a 150 gallon pond.

On 9/28/2021 at 4:54 PM, ARMYVET said:

Currently or ever? 🤣

I currently have 18x 20 gallon ...3x 5 gallon...1.5 gallon cube and a 150 gallon pond.

Well there u go you could put a piece in your pond

On 9/28/2021 at 5:01 PM, Vanish said:

Nice! That's an amazing piece. Where did you find it? ( lake, pond, stream? )

May I kindly suggest next time photoing it in the driveway or something?  🤪

I'm guessing  my work truck offends your eyes sorry about that and yes a pond 

• Like 1

On 9/28/2021 at 5:21 PM, Casual aquatics said:

Well there u go you could put a piece in your pond

Yes I could but it would be wasted on the fact that I could not enjoy how beautiful it would be with plants and mosses growing on it like you soon will be able to!

On 9/28/2021 at 5:27 PM, eatyourpeas said:

Or he could get another tank that will fit such a piece! 😜

God I wish!!  If I give you my wife phone number can you call her and talk her into it?!?!?  Or better yet...Ill just give you my wife and then I dont need permission🤣

• Haha 1

On 9/28/2021 at 3:12 PM, ARMYVET said:

God I wish!!  If I give you my wife phone number can you call her and talk her into it?!?!?  Or better yet...Ill just give you my wife and then I dont need permission🤣

My husband could probably talk her into another big tank. It scares me, he always wants everything big and I am a nano kind of person. I'll take your wife in exchange for electricity! 🤪

• Haha 1

I used to own a stock tank for wood like that, but I was a much younger person then.... and lived in a house, lol.

Now I use a kiddy pool, a wire scrub brush, and patience. 

That's a gorgeous piece of wood and looks great in the tank!

Water will clear up in no time, just run some extra aeration for a bit.

• Love 1

On 9/28/2021 at 11:34 PM, Torrey said:

I used to own a stock tank for wood like that, but I was a much younger person then.... and lived in a house, lol.

Now I use a kiddy pool, a wire scrub brush, and patience. 

That's a gorgeous piece of wood and looks great in the tank!

Water will clear up in no time, just run some extra aeration for a bit.

Tonight after work so  officially 22 hours after putting in

20210928_232951.jpg

20210928_232957.jpg

• Love 2