Eugh. This morning I woke up to find my female bichir laying on her side, dead. She had some sort of deformity that affected her spine (as a female she should have been longer than the male, but she had a weird, humped, shorter body) as well as her pectoral fins (they weren't big and rounded like my males, they had a crumpled appearance). When I bought her, she looked completely normal, and these deformities developed as she grew. There is another person online I've talked to who has a bichir with a similar problem.

I had wondered if her deformities would shorten her life span, and I guess they did.

I checked all of my parameters; no ammonia or nitrite, nitrate between 20 and 40. I did a small water change to make myself feel better regardless. Now I'm just very worried for Dragon and Dinky, neither wanted to eat this morning. They look fine otherwise. 

My ctenopoma is completely normal. She ate and has been her usual self, chasing Dragon around. 

This is the second senegal female I've lost due to strange health issues. I had one I bought at the same time as Dragon, who developed bloat. I struggled to correct it for more than a year before she finally passed. She also had one deformed, crumpled fin. 

I would just feel so much better if the remaining two of them would eat.

• Sad 6

Oh no! I’m so sorry. What a shock.

Maybe the other two are just depressed. They seem like such smart, interactive fish, I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re a little sad or scared. ❤️ I actually had a gerbil who wouldn’t eat if she was depressed. I had to hand feed her sunflower seeds until she felt better. Do you have live foods to offer them?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hobbit said:

Oh no! I’m so sorry. What a shock.

Maybe the other two are just depressed. They seem like such smart, interactive fish, I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re a little sad or scared. ❤️ I actually had a gerbil who wouldn’t eat if she was depressed. I had to hand feed her sunflower seeds until she felt better. Do you have live foods to offer them?

I don't have live food (and Dragon is scared of moving food), but I do have some frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp I'm going to try tomorrow. They usually get Vita-Chem soaked frozen tilapia, which they love, so it's weird for both of them to be completely uninterested. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, H.K.Luterman said:

Eugh. This morning I woke up to find my female bichir laying on her side, dead.

I'm SO sorry, H.K.! I know how much you delight in your special wet pets, so this must be quite a blow. I'm hoping the other 2 perk up, as time moves them away from the loss, and that you're able to feel gratitude that despite her health issues, she had a wonderful, happy life in your tanks. ❤️ 

• Like 2

Igor the blood parrot has been moved to the 75. The first thing he began doing is eating every trumpet snail he could fit in his mouth (I can hear him crunching them if it's quiet enough and I'm right by the tank). The next thing he did was establish himself as the boss, by flaring at Gertrude the ctenopoma and kicking her out of her cave repeatedly. 

Over the next 24 hours he settled in, and now he and Gertrude hang out together, following each other around and often foraging for food side by side. I've seen him doing some cute behaviors, wiggling his belly through the sand and spitting bits of it around. He seems intrigued by the bichirs but pretty much leaves them alone.

So far he wants to eat everything but the New Life Spectrum cichlid pellets. This morning he ignored them in favor of the Sinking Carnivore pellets I feed my bichirs; they were too big for his mouth but he still managed to crunch them up after they had softened.

image.jpg.5b6ddae1ddcf66511b794a2746de73df.jpg

The albino bichir is doing great. She's back to eating and is actively exploring the tank. The addition of Igor seemed to liven her back up.

Dragon is still not eating. I'm watching him closely for any outer signs of being unwell but so far he seems normal. He does seem to want to sit at the top with Dinky when resting, but is too big to lay on the tops of plants like the baby can. So I ordered a soap caddy on Amazon I'll be putting in for use as a platform for him; it'll be here today hopefully. I have read bichirs can sometimes go on hunger strikes (much like snakes, which I have 19 yrs experience with so I'm pretty used to that), thus I'm trying to be patient and just watch him. I'm keeping his environment healthy and offering good food, so hopefully he'll come around eventually. 

Edited by H.K.Luterman
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, OceanTruth said:

I had thought I wasn’t really into Parrot cichlids, but I have to admit Igor is really cute. Love the name as well.

I hope Dragon comes around soon!

Yeah I've really gone back and forth about getting one for so long because they are so stigmatized. But so far I'm very happy I decided to try one out; he really is quite the little character. The whole mouth thing is what gave me pause for so long, but ... I mean... he stuffed down a pellet more than twice the size of what should have fit, so I think there's no problem there! XD 

• Like 1

I have happy news! Dragon is back to eating, and is acting more like his usual derpy self. He's had three meals, and is back to swimming around. Here he is getting chased by Igor.

PXL_20210224_162618639.jpg.e66e2da19dbc309e93433c47aaa30745.jpg

PXL_20210224_162620484.jpg.eca8e2bee3cb51dcb7ade6c23eb0f11c.jpg

He's still trying to sit up in the plants with Dinky, but is too heavy. I put my old King betta's hammock in there to see what he would do, and he did try to utilize it before accidentally knocking it off the glass.

PXL_20210219_171603477.jpg.2c353815a425db6c22931a7e4253f7bb.jpg

I have a suction cup plastic soap caddy coming in the mail to act as a platform for him, but it's delayed being delivered. I hope it arrives today. 

I'm just so relieved he's acting more normal. My poor, sensitive sea monster.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, H.K.Luterman said:

I have happy news! Dragon is back to eating, and is acting more like his usual derpy self. He's had three meals, and is back to swimming around.

I have a suction cup plastic soap caddy coming in the mail to act as a platform for him, but it's delayed being delivered. I hope it arrives today. 

Oh Yaaaaaay!!! I'm so glad to hear it! Can't wait to see if he enjoys the soap caddy. 👍

• Like 1

My tanks go such long periods of time (years!) where absolutely nothing new happens, that all this drama currently going on in the 75 feels like a soap opera or something.

Last night Gertrude gave herself the equivalent of a fishy black eye. I fed Dinky and gave Igor a treat (he loves crushed snails), and accidentally dripped water on the front of the glass; I feed my bichirs with long tweezers so I can just deposit the food by their faces, and I usually get some drips when I pull my arm out of the tank. SO, I got a paper towel and wiped down the glass to dry it.

Gertrude HATES that, and apparently last night it caught her by surprise, and she completely spazzed out all over the place. I go to look at her a little while later and she had what looked like a large, opaque, fluid filled blister on her right eye. She must have bashed her face against the rock cave while spazzing out over the paper towel. EUUUGGGHHH.

I should have gotten a pic of it just so people can see what that kind of injury looks like, but I didn't want to stress her out more; she hates the camera. But anyways, today it looks a million times better. The swelling is down and her eye just looks a bit foggy. As usual I'll continue to monitor it, but I'm sure she'll be fine.

IN OTHER NEWS, I got the soap caddy for Dragon. I put it in and he's afraid to touch it. Like he's going out of his way to not touch it. Though I think last night he made some progress; he had one fin propped against it. He's so sensitive.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1