On 6/7/2022 at 11:59 PM, H.K.Luterman said:

Hey. I know it's been a long time since I've posted here. To sum up everything, I lost my limia colony. It put me in such a funk that I just don't even want to talk about it, so I guess I've been avoiding doing so.

But everyone else is doing ok. I let a few egg clutches slip through the cracks and so I'm currently swimming in baby mystery snails. Murder Bean is having a never ending buffet. 

I noticed Pooka was acting... not herself. She was spending a lot of time upside down at the surface - and while she IS an upside down catfish, her not being in her usual spot at her cave is weird. At first I wondered if she was gulping air, and so I gave her a bubble wall. Her species is found in rivers and so I thought maybe she wanted more flow. She likes to play in the bubbles, but it didn't stop her from sleeping at the surface. Water params are excellent. Her tank never has nitrates, I have to fertilize for the plants, but I've been doing more water changes out of paranoia. 

I then noticed, one morning, that her dorsal and adipose fin (the round fin behind her dorsal) looked damaged. I had seen similar damage to her side from sitting on her heater, and had since made a cage so she can't come in contact with it, and that fixed the problem. The platies certainly can't cause any harm to her, and so my thoughts turned to Scruffy, the bristlenose. Bristlenoses have been known to attack slow moving fish over territory, and he did love her cave. I decided that was the most likely answer - Scruffy was munching on her to get her to move out of his favorite spot, and so she had started sleeping out in the open. 

So I tore her tank apart to remove the trouble maker. I decided it would make interesting content if I wanted to make a journal post, so I took pics. 

Here he is, in the naughty boy bucket.

image.jpeg.b5307656da69e8e294f708d4957ee5bc.jpeg

I had to tear her tank up to catch him.

image.jpeg.4e91e869a590fcb6cb47592c345bd4c0.jpeg

But I took the opportunity to make her cave even bigger, and remove the driftwood so she has even more space. 

Here her tank is after the make over, the next night. She started immediately sitting in her favorite spot again.

image.jpeg.1c7fb03aba97ee241e772328dc42280c.jpeg

Here is the damage to her fins. This is after the really chewed up parts fell off. The edges seem clean, and I'm hoping they will grow back fine. The white spot on her adipose fin seems to be getting smaller. 
image.jpeg.e3940ba62443da1cf2067622d88c6663.jpeg

image.jpeg.53c4b3e3e3a3b637ee65f2a38f071a2e.jpeg

Scruffy seems to be adapting to the 29 well. Tesla seems fine with his new tank mate. 

I don't know what the correct reaction is.... 😍 Because I love any and all Pooka....😢 because I feel the pain of the limia... 😲over the bristlenose munching on Pooka.... or ::hugs:: for the full emotional roller coaster ride.

It's good to read you in here again, and I 🥰 Pooka's new set-up!!!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sorry to hear you've been having a rough time... 

Someone wanted to come and say hello to Pooka (and you, of course!) His name is Big Bad Tyrone and he's absolutely gorgeous 😍  I wouldn't have him if it wasn't for your posts, so thank you. He's a lot of fun already. I'm trying to get him to come to me for food, but he won't yet. Its only been a week though. 

He is without doubt the boss of the tank. The first pic it their first meeting, they all grouped up to check him out. He just took over the best cave and the previous tank boss, the dark blue and black mbuna just had to suck it up. Sometimes he gets a bit mad, but never at Tyrone.

And there he is giving you his best smile! 

20220623_134700.jpg

20220630_075023.jpg

20220630_075036.jpg

• Love 6

On 7/1/2022 at 5:30 AM, Penny said:

I'm sorry to hear you've been having a rough time... 

Someone wanted to come and say hello to Pooka (and you, of course!) His name is Big Bad Tyrone and he's absolutely gorgeous 😍  I wouldn't have him if it wasn't for your posts, so thank you. He's a lot of fun already. I'm trying to get him to come to me for food, but he won't yet. Its only been a week though. 

He is without doubt the boss of the tank. The first pic it their first meeting, they all grouped up to check him out. He just took over the best cave and the previous tank boss, the dark blue and black mbuna just had to suck it up. Sometimes he gets a bit mad, but never at Tyrone.

And there he is giving you his best smile! 

He's gorgeous! What a big, handsome boy! I'm so glad you're enjoying him

Things have settled down here and Pooka's all healed up and back to her usual self. I got her some Repashy "Bottom Scratcher" and she loves it! I should takes some photos and do an update soon, I've just been busy with gaming and work!

• Like 4

Well, we had our board game night and by the time everyone left, all of my aquarium lights were out. So me, being me, thought that would be a great time to turn Pooka's light on, with the room being so dark, and get some nice video of her. 

But of course, she was HIGHLY SUSPICIOUS of my shenanigans, as it was outside of our usual routine, and so she mostly stayed in her cave. After a long while of quiet sitting and patience (and some Repashy) she did come out a little and did her usual face mush against the glass, looking for me. I do want to get some longer video of her swimming around, but for now, this will do for a Pooka update! 

Edited by H.K.Luterman
  • Love 3

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/3/2022 at 8:13 PM, H.K.Luterman said:

I come bearing an offering of Tesla intrigued by Scruffy's tail

Like siblings on a long car ride.

MOOoooom, Mom, Mom, MOM!  Mom, he’s touching me, he’s touching me!  Make him stop touching me!  😆 😂 🤣 

• Haha 2