Sugar frosted limia, NOT part of a daily balanced breakfast and is in fact making me want to tear my hair out. 

PXL_20220214_153911031_MP.jpg.d75aadabfae1af40d4eab9e2c8dcf006.jpg

PXL_20220214_153854014_MP.jpg.48dced721c8b88609f916ab37d1da0ff.jpg

I believe it's Costia, based on pictures I've found online and in the Member's only stream featuring Dr. Ashley Emanuele. It is responsive to salt, diminishing in appearance after 2 weeks, but then once the salinity is reduced, it comes right back. I'm currently on day three of Ich-X, which is listed as a proper medication for this, and I have a UV sterilizer on it's way in the mail. I've blacked out the tank after dosing, since that is generally recommended for Ich, and since this is another type of protozoan/ciliate I figured it can't hurt. I read that it can take up to 3 rounds of treatment to get this stuff to go away completely, so please keep your fingers crossed for me. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

On 2/14/2022 at 10:24 AM, H.K.Luterman said:

Sugar frosted limia, NOT part of a daily balanced breakfast and is in fact making me want to tear my hair out. 

PXL_20220214_153911031_MP.jpg.d75aadabfae1af40d4eab9e2c8dcf006.jpg

PXL_20220214_153854014_MP.jpg.48dced721c8b88609f916ab37d1da0ff.jpg

I believe it's Costia, based on pictures I've found online and in the Member's only stream featuring Dr. Ashley Emanuele. It is responsive to salt, diminishing in appearance after 2 weeks, but then once the salinity is reduced, it comes right back. I'm currently on day three of Ich-X, which is listed as a proper medication for this, and I have a UV sterilizer on it's way in the mail. I've blacked out the tank after dosing, since that is generally recommended for Ich, and since this is another type of protozoan/ciliate I figured it can't hurt. I read that it can take up to 3 rounds of treatment to get this stuff to go away completely, so please keep your fingers crossed for me. 

I'll light a candle for you, friend.

That's a rough one.

Did Ashley Emauele, DVM happen to leave a contact email? I am under the impression that NCSU vet clinic is discussing consolidating information on aquatic illnesses? May be a rumor, I am not in NC to find out. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/14/2022 at 9:18 PM, Torrey said:

I'll light a candle for you, friend.

That's a rough one.

Did Ashley Emauele, DVM happen to leave a contact email? I am under the impression that NCSU vet clinic is discussing consolidating information on aquatic illnesses? May be a rumor, I am not in NC to find out. 

I found her Veterinary Website which lists her email. I'm extremely shy but maybe I can drum up enough courage to contact her.

I did look at the girls (it just always seems like the girls are affected for some reason) before lights out and it did look better than this morning (when I took those pics). I think the key here will to just be persistent and treat for a prolonged period. Definitely longer than the 2 weeks I had been doing. I'll post about the UV sterilizer when it comes in this next weekend.

The UV sterilizer came in last night, and I just set it up. I decided on this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V26V5MS?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

It's huge compared to the tank, but it won't be a permanent fixture. I didn't hook up the air since I have two sponge filters running in this tank, and I tried to position it so the water flow won't be too strong. First attempt and the suction cups immediately gave up; I didn't scrape the glass down so that's on me.

PXL_20220219_173258592.jpg.ba7cd73bfbef90b1a4d9bff3b2f4bccd.jpg

It's making a duckweed root whirlpool. I've had duckweed die off from low nutrients - been water changing every day for a week because of Ich-X. I should pull that hornwort out too since it looks like it's unhappy. Looks like the suction cups have given out again since I took this pic and the sterilizer is now resting against the sponge filter at an angle. I'm sure that's fine.

This has been a rollercoaster of emotions. The limia will look much better one evening, only for me to find them looking worse the next morning. This girl has the worst of it right now:

PXL_20220219_172810557_MP.jpg.bde6d3e9f41f951868144b9b9da43d58.jpg

I don't even know if the Ich-X is doing much at this point.

At least Tesla the acara seems unaffected still.

• Sad 2

It looks like damaged scales, I don't see any Ich spots, or anything to give a specific identification. 

Is there a veterinary school nearby, where you could take a slide of a scrape?

I would honestly be looking for a method to get a clear idea of what is going on. 

• 1 month later...

Oh hello!

PXL_20220331_173029210.jpg.7f216d7c7fc8f51e8a34229b39352dba.jpg

I finally, FINALLY think I have the solution for what's going on in the 29 gallon. It's been a long road, full of going in the wrong directions until I eventually bought 2 microscopes (the first was a flop), learned how to take mucus scrapes and prepare slides. I'm going to tentatively say things are better, and once I finish up all the medications I will make a post all about it. 

Until then, enjoy this pic of Scruffy and Pooka.

PXL_20220331_173359354.jpg.54485a264660a2927c2148573f793d5c.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/15/2020 at 8:54 AM, H.K.Luterman said:

Ok, it won't let me edit my post, but here is a link to the video since I can't figure out how to embed it.

On your YouTube video, inside "studio" you can edit the permissions for your video. It's under the "more" on the first section (under "Is this video made for kids") it needs you to click on "allow embedding"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey. I know it's been a long time since I've posted here. To sum up everything, I lost my limia colony. It put me in such a funk that I just don't even want to talk about it, so I guess I've been avoiding doing so.

But everyone else is doing ok. I let a few egg clutches slip through the cracks and so I'm currently swimming in baby mystery snails. Murder Bean is having a never ending buffet. 

I noticed Pooka was acting... not herself. She was spending a lot of time upside down at the surface - and while she IS an upside down catfish, her not being in her usual spot at her cave is weird. At first I wondered if she was gulping air, and so I gave her a bubble wall. Her species is found in rivers and so I thought maybe she wanted more flow. She likes to play in the bubbles, but it didn't stop her from sleeping at the surface. Water params are excellent. Her tank never has nitrates, I have to fertilize for the plants, but I've been doing more water changes out of paranoia. 

I then noticed, one morning, that her dorsal and adipose fin (the round fin behind her dorsal) looked damaged. I had seen similar damage to her side from sitting on her heater, and had since made a cage so she can't come in contact with it, and that fixed the problem. The platies certainly can't cause any harm to her, and so my thoughts turned to Scruffy, the bristlenose. Bristlenoses have been known to attack slow moving fish over territory, and he did love her cave. I decided that was the most likely answer - Scruffy was munching on her to get her to move out of his favorite spot, and so she had started sleeping out in the open. 

So I tore her tank apart to remove the trouble maker. I decided it would make interesting content if I wanted to make a journal post, so I took pics. 

Here he is, in the naughty boy bucket.

image.jpeg.b5307656da69e8e294f708d4957ee5bc.jpeg

I had to tear her tank up to catch him.

image.jpeg.4e91e869a590fcb6cb47592c345bd4c0.jpeg

But I took the opportunity to make her cave even bigger, and remove the driftwood so she has even more space. 

Here her tank is after the make over, the next night. She started immediately sitting in her favorite spot again.

image.jpeg.1c7fb03aba97ee241e772328dc42280c.jpeg

Here is the damage to her fins. This is after the really chewed up parts fell off. The edges seem clean, and I'm hoping they will grow back fine. The white spot on her adipose fin seems to be getting smaller. 
image.jpeg.e3940ba62443da1cf2067622d88c6663.jpeg

image.jpeg.53c4b3e3e3a3b637ee65f2a38f071a2e.jpeg

Scruffy seems to be adapting to the 29 well. Tesla seems fine with his new tank mate. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2