What music are you listening to these days?

OnlyGenusCaps

On 9/21/2022 at 5:42 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

@dasaltemelosguy I can’t say your name 😅

and also-  how did you come up with such a tongue twister?

The Salt = Da Salt (?)

blahblahblah middle stuff

guy.

🤷‍♀️ 🥸

My handle makes no sense in 3 languages!

It more or less means 'The Old HiFi Guy'. My partners in my old hifi company were German and Greek. 

German das alte = The Old

Greek melos = HiFi

and well, I'm just the "guy"

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 9/22/2022 at 10:49 AM, dasaltemelosguy said:

My handle makes no sense in 3 languages!

It more or less means 'The Old HiFi Guy'. My partners in my old hifi company were German and Greek. 

German das alte = The Old

Greek melos = HiFi

and well, I'm just the "guy"

I mean, surely I was not the only one wondering the meaning.  Right?

LOL

Very clever.  🙂 

• Haha 1

@Tanked @CorydorasEthan

I get a kick out of Terry Miles. He seeks out pianos and pipe organs and randomly plays on them.  He gets kicked out of a fair number of places for "disturbing the peace". Usually the pipe organs are in churches, and he starts out sweetly, but he ALWAYS ends up doing boogie woogie on them. For churches, he always asks permission first.  

@ 21:41 he starts his antics.

And just for pure silliness sake, Dan Akroyd in Nothing But Trouble.  Killin it on the pipe organ @ 1:21 😆

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 4

I was a teenager in the 80's - so there's always a special place in my heart for mid 80s rock/pop/goth/metal/thrash.

These days I've been into the sludge/stoner rock thing - Elder, Sleep, Russian Circles, The Well, Pelican. 

I listen to jazz at work, like Bill Evans. 

Yes I'm all over the place 🤣

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 9/23/2022 at 10:30 AM, Guppysnail said:

9 yr old prodigy, playing since she was 2.  Her parents bought her a mini violin that she could hold easily when she was younger because she expressed interest. Link here to her lesson, look how fast she absorbs what she's told, like put emotion into it, you're going into a dark forest and it's scary, etc.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

On 9/22/2022 at 10:43 AM, dasaltemelosguy said:

Thanks. I love Dana Fuchs too. She has a few concerts on film, and they are older, so they are DVDs but amazing, nonetheless. 

Did you ever see the musical "Across the Universe"? It's set to Beatles songs. She plays the part of "Sexy Sadie"! 

You probably know of this one but there was a concert film ranking in Blues Blast magazine where the expected classics were present: Woodstock, Gimme Shelter, The Last Waltz, Monterrey Pop Festival, Live at Paradiso. 

I never heard of their 5th choice but when I did see the concert, it was pretty amazing. In the Blues track below, she lulls the audience (and climbs into the audience) into relaxing with a soft ballad. It takes about 2 minutes to really get going with an energy that is just incredible. Her vocal control and power are off the charts, something usually more common to the Opera stage. The vocal instructor Michal Towber calls her "Janis on Steroids".

Paradiso 2004

Thanks. I love Dana Fuchs too. She has a few concerts on film, and they are older, so they are DVDs but amazing, nonetheless. 

Did you ever see the musical "Across the Universe"? It's set to Beatles songs. She plays the part of "Sexy Sadie"! 

You probably know of this one but there was a concert film ranking in Blues Blast magazine where the expected classics were present: Woodstock, Gimme Shelter, The Last Waltz, Monterrey Pop Festival, Live at Paradiso. 

I never heard of their 5th choice but when I did see the concert, it was pretty amazing. In the Blues track below, she lulls the audience (and climbs into the audience) into relaxing with a soft ballad. It takes about 2 minutes to really get going with an energy that is just incredible. Her vocal control and power are off the charts, something usually more common to the Opera stage. The vocal instructor Michal Towber calls her "Janis on Steroids".

Paradiso 2004

Beth is amazing  too and yes  she is so much like Janis  the music takes over  her … I like the videos  of Beth with Joe Bonamassa they tour  together at one time 

• Love 1

On 9/23/2022 at 5:39 PM, Bev C said:

Beth is amazing  too and yes  she is so much like Janis  the music takes over  her … I like the videos  of Beth with Joe Bonamassa they tour  together at one time 

I couldn't agree more. One would be hard pressed to find an example of better musicianship than her 2013 concert with Joe in Amsterdam, virtuosity from every corner, vocals, percussion, brass, guitars and the band as a singular, whole, focused entity.

That concert is all old Motown covers but to the power of themselves. He's amazing and the band is so tight...and huge, with multiple guitarists, keyboards and a full contingent of brass playing one legendary Motown cover after another. The Ray Charles and Bill Withers covers are absolute transformations, but I just love the Tina Turner cover.

It's simple, pure Rock & Roll in every sense: 

Beth & Joe - Nutbush City Limits (Tina Turner Cover)

This concert is now available on BluRay so the quality is higher than most of the others we've spoken about as they were DVDs. It ends with I'd Rather Go Blind which is the most reacted to video on YouTube currently.

But there's an even better version that came out only months ago. She's with Eric Gales (Eric Gales calls Joe Bonamassa "the world's best guitarist" and Joe Bonamassa says the same about Eric Gales!) doing I'd Rather Go Blind, and it's masterfully performed until he goes into a solo so intense, he drops to the floor and just keeps playing. But the band stops playing, and the audience goes silent to hear his magic.

She then literally stops the concert and begins crying and says simply: "You've got a f!@#*&g gift man!"  and finishes the song. It's an incredible moment on stage (I don't know where I saw it but it's 2022 in Romania I believe). 

When I saw her, she ended with that track. It was just awesome but the 2022 one with Eric Gales is the best version I've seen. 

Edited by dasaltemelosguy
Typo Fixed
  • Love 1

On 9/23/2022 at 9:52 PM, dasaltemelosguy said:

I couldn't agree more. One would be hard pressed to find an example of better musicianship than her 2013 concert with Joe in Amsterdam, virtuosity from every corner, vocals, percussion, brass, guitars and the band as a singular, whole, focused entity.

That concert is all old Motown covers but to the power of themselves. He's amazing and the band is so tight...and huge, with multiple guitarists, keyboards and a full contingent of brass playing one legendary Motown cover after another. The Ray Charles and Bill Withers covers are absolute transformations, but I just love the Tina Turner cover.

It's simple, pure Rock & Roll in every sense: 

Beth & Joe - Nutbush City Limits (Tina Turner Cover)

This concert is now available on BluRay so the quality is higher than most of the others we've spoken about as they were DVDs. It ends with I'd Rather Go Blind which is the most reacted to video on YouTube currently.

But there's an even better version that came out only months ago. She's with Eric Gales (Eric Gales calls Joe Bonamassa "the world's best guitarist" and Joe Bonamassa says the same about Eric Gales!) doing I'd Rather Go Blind, and it's masterfully performed until he goes into a solo so intense, he drops to the floor and just keeps playing. But the band stops playing, and the audience goes silent to hear his magic.

She then literally stops the concert and begins crying and says simply: "You've got a f!@#*&g gift man!"  and finishes the song. It's an incredible moment on stage (I don't know where I saw it but it's 2022 in Romania I believe). 

When I saw her, she ended with that track. It was just awesome but the 2022 one with Eric Gales is the best version I've seen. 

I saw that one of Beth and Eric amazing video Eric is a wonderful guitarist too…   I love artist that music takes over ,,,

I love anyone that can play a guitar My  collection has allot of 80’s , & guitarist and  Soul and blues  jazz I regret not seeing Stevie Ray   my ex and I had tickets to see Stevie  but with his accident,.. we did not see him and hated not seeing him

Another  4 guitarist that is so unrated with the guitar  is  a Brad Paisley,  John Mayer, Keith Urban and Jonny Lang,, Jonny Lang is awesome he lets the music take over ..  Hope he will be back soon he is having health issues ,, I use to see Brad before he moved to Nashville and hit it big ,, at the local bars he is from a town only 40 miles from me 

Edited by Bev C
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

It’s just my impression, my projection in all probability, but I’ve always felt that Bach, at some unconscious level, understood space/time. This seems especially apparent in the Goldberg Variations and the Inventions. Given those preconceptions, when I saw this video, I mistook the graphic lines as depicting curved space. They’re actually a musical scale! Oops. No matter what, it’s a beautiful video.

Cello Suite-1

• Like 2
  • Love 4

@lefty o thanks for posting  Bobbie Gentry  When we went to Grand Ole Opry  as a child  my brother at the time he was 7-9 years old  he got stopped by guards  he sneaked backstage to see Bobbie Gentry and Jeanie C. Riley   but before he got stopped he got  both of their autograph  he said it was worth getting in trouble both ladies was gorgeous women and Jeanie C Riley gave him a kiss 

Edited by Bev C
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

On 8/2/2021 at 5:59 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

So, on another forum (different hobby) a thread I've always gotten a lot our of was one where people could share the music they are enjoying at the moment.  It has lasted for years, and I was introduced to tunes I would never have otherwise known about.  I don't think there is thread like that here yet, and so I thought I would take it upon myself to start one.  So, please share the music you like currently.  It'll probably change, so when it does, come back and let us know the latest thing you are enjoying (though it doesn't need to be the latest music by any means). 

I'll start us off.  I've been getting a kick out of a recent song from one of my favorite pop-punk bands from the 2000's.  Att the time, they had songs about making fun of the nostalgia adults feel and adolescent angst all which rang true for me in my youth.  So, I greatly appreciate that they now have one about getting older, which rings as true. for me today as their songs did decades ago (yikes, the 2000's were decades ago 😬).  But as long as "Bowling for Soup" continues to narrate the experiences of the different stages of my life, I think everything is going to be okay.

I seem to only be listening to classics like Queen these days

• Like 2

On 9/28/2022 at 1:20 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

I seem to only be listening to classics like Queen these days

Funny story. My car has CD player issues. It only ejects the cd when temps are over 80 and it’s been playing for at least 20 minutes. I only drive 1-2x a month if that then only 2 miles to the grocery.  I had to drive an hour last week and realized I missed my chance for the winter to change cds. So I’m listening to Queens’s greatest hit for the whole winter.  Last winter it was The Rocky Horror Picture Show soundtrack 🤣

• Haha 4