Low-Expectation Guppy Startup

Fish Folk

Beautiful babies. Yes endlers and guppies cross they create very beautiful offspring but mine that are crossed stay slightly smaller and the females do not get to the 2.75-3 inch size that my just guppies do. The body patterns on the males are more psychedelic in my opinion. I’m not an expert just happen to have some of each. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/28/2021 at 8:46 PM, Fish Folk said:

Wild type Gupsters… look what dropped!

I love their little top sword style tails. You are so right that they are underappreciated--there is so much variation in colors, spots, tail shape. To me it's much more fun to see how they turn out. And, watching my blue moscow males swim compared to watching my endlers or ginga sulphureus males swim, there's no competition. I vote for the easier-to-haul tails every time. 

On 10/28/2021 at 6:27 PM, Fish Folk said:

With apologies for the GRUNGY tank, here’s a set of Guppies I just found at a Big-Box Pet Store today. Couldn’t resist!

Will treat right away with General Cure + E. M. Erythromycin.

"Suffering under a ton of duckweed" is another person's "enjoying a lively duckweed blizzard". I doubt those guppies mind a bit!

• Love 1

On 9/28/2021 at 6:46 PM, Fish Folk said:

Wild type Gupsters… look what dropped!

My endlers were sold as feeders, too.

A friend who has papered endlers is pretty adamant mine are not crosses, because the majority of males have the classic endler tale.

Looking at yours, I understand a little bit better what he was talking about. The one you have with a single "black top sword" is the closest to my males, but mine have more defined, long, *thin* swords: 40% have a top sword (tail is still "lyred" though, just bottom is transparent), 40% have a bottom sword, and the remainder are predominantly a lyre or double sword.

I have random males that will not grow either, and the tail looks like a female's. 

I suspect that the feeders were an endler breeders culls.

Your fish look gorgeous!!!!

Those firecrackers are still cute, and your newest guppies are amazing. My endlers will eat the duckweed, especially if it's in close proximity to food, or is behaving like food in the water (like your newest batch's tank).

Hopefully guppies will do the same  

• Thanks 1

On 11/1/2021 at 10:49 PM, PineSong said:

Nice score on those pretty guppies. How many tanks of guppies do you have now? 

I'm working with three separate strains: (1) "Mutt" Guppies / Midnight Blues -- 20 gal (2) Firecracker Guppies -- 10 gal (3) Snakeskin -- 10 gal

I also have been moving any wild-type / Endler cross that gravid females drop over to another 10 gal quarantine tank.

So total . . . I've got four tanks of Guppies.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 11/1/2021 at 11:21 PM, Fish Folk said:

So total . . . I've got four tanks of Guppies.

That’s great! I have 1 Endler tank and 2 tanks with breeding female guppies, and I’m planning to muttify some of their offspring with the jumbo sized females I recently bought. My second batch of guppy fry started showing color today, so exciting!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...