Low-Expectation Guppy Startup

Fish Folk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’m tagging @Cinnebuns here, from whom I acquired 8x lively Blue Dragon females this past summer.

Jump forward a few months, and I bought 4x males, divided them between 3x tanks in 2-trios, and one with 2-pairs.

Fry have begun dropping nicely. I estimate that I have approximately 80x fry now. I’m sure a number will be culled. But like last year, I plan to work with these over the winter, and then move a number outside into mini ponds for dynamic growth.

Here is a short video showing adults and fry in each tank…

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 11/17/2022 at 2:00 PM, Fish Folk said:

I’m tagging @Cinnebuns here, from whom I acquired 8x lively Blue Dragon females this past summer.

Jump forward a few months, and I bought 4x males, divided them between 3x tanks in 2-trios, and one with 2-pairs.

Fry have begun dropping nicely. I estimate that I have approximately 80x fry now. I’m sure a number will be culled. But like last year, I plan to work with these over the winter, and then move a number outside into mini ponds for dynamic growth.

Those are so many fry!

• Like 1

On 11/17/2022 at 7:00 AM, Fish Folk said:

Omg ty for sharing that!  They look so big!  They are prettier than I remember too lol

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, fortune has not smiled on my Sapphire Dragon Guppy breeding project. My females came from one source and males from another. After 2x months of females delivering no fry, I decided to get fancy males and build a colony in three tanks. Eventually all females “boxed up” and dropped fry. Now I’m finally just starting to see colors on the fry. Evidently, there’s way too many scattered genes here. This is what I’m looking at…

I’ll let these grow until spring, and then sell everything to my LFS on the cheap. I have hundreds of guppies, but none will work. Worth a try, but going forward, I will not try this procedure again. Only buy males and females from the same source / line / breeder. And cull, cull, cull…

Edited by Fish Folk

On 1/10/2023 at 1:35 PM, Fish Folk said:

Well, fortune has not smiled on my Sapphire Dragon Guppy breeding project. My females came from one source and males from another. After 2x months of females delivering no fry, I decided to get fancy males and build a colony in three tanks. Eventually all females “boxed up” and dropped fry. Now I’m finally just starting to see colors on the fry. Evidently, there’s way too many scattered genes here. This is what I’m looking at…

I’ll let these grow until spring, and then sell everything to my LFS on the cheap. I have hundreds of guppies, but none will work. Worth a try, but going forward, I will not try this procedure again. Only buy males and females from the same source / line / breeder. And cull, cull, cull…

Shame that you didn’t get what you want, but if I was a beginner Id be quite stoked if that was my first ever 🐟 

• Thanks 1

I know just how you feel.  My purple dragons that I had such hopes for have thrown a couple mutts, too.  Very pretty mutts, but mutts all the same.  So depending on what some of my other throw, I may be taking all of the purple dragons to my LFS as they grow out.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2023 at 9:37 PM, Fish Folk said:

A couple young blues. I might tub a group of these over the summer…

D025F8C9-40B6-4D8B-89DF-348EBF178D7C.jpeg.e69577c10a4e5f433ce48ad9d41e232a.jpeg

Blues are always tempting! You ran your tubs without airlines didn't you? I'm thinking of putting out a couple of smaller tubs along with my 110g and wondered if I could get by with out running an airline to one on the porch. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Just took a couple photos of my “Precious Metals” Guppies. They’ve kicked out a purple mosaic fella, and I’m too intrigued with him to cull.

Here’s how I set up a cool-light photo…

(1) 55-gal LED gets propped up on empty large specimen containers

IMG_6083.jpeg.96bc056f3f4129ed6480225250aadd74.jpeg

(2) A clear ACO Specimen Container (the best, BTW!) is used in the middle under lights for photos. First shows uncropped. Second and third are cropped.

IMG_6087.jpeg.82ddbe49306f997aae4f48a83e298fdf.jpeg

IMG_6086.jpeg.554e045587a89be20558d26b6bf15731.jpeg

IMG_6085.jpeg.a3e772fe6f9c9c01fa294c9f4fe8791c.jpeg

And that is how to sell Guppies 😎

• Like 1
  • Love 1