Low-Expectation Guppy Startup

Fish Folk

I’m sharing my little “Mutt Guppy” breeding plan here.

First, here’s a look at how I’m trying to “influence” the genetics…

Here’s a look at the 20-gal long Mutt Guppy colony tank, now LOADED with fry, and a longer discussion of how I’m gently trying to nudge the genetic preferences here…

And, finally, here’s a look at the “outcasts” — wild-type males (mostly) — that though pretty in their own right, are not what I’m aiming for…

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Smart to have some shrimp stashed everywhere just in case. And fun to watch the guppies color up and decide which ones to promote as breeders. I've got some fry who just hit the two month mark and their tails are starting to develop but colors are still pretty drab. Hopefully over the next two months they will start to shine.

• Like 2

On 11/29/2021 at 9:31 PM, PineSong said:

Smart to have some shrimp stashed everywhere just in case. And fun to watch the guppies color up and decide which ones to promote as breeders. I've got some fry who just hit the two month mark and their tails are starting to develop but colors are still pretty drab. Hopefully over the next two months they will start to shine.

They breed so easily, it can feel like a long wait for them to mature. One thing I’m careful to do is feed them _variety_

• Like 2

On 11/29/2021 at 9:33 PM, Fish Folk said:

They breed so easily, it can feel like a long wait for them to mature. One thing I’m careful to do is feed them _variety_

Me, too. It's a good thing I feed fish before my offspring is awake or I'm sure I'd get comments about how the fish eat better than we do. I feed two foods per meal and can go 4 or 5 days without repeating a food for the fish who aren't tiny fry. Meanwhile, my kid literally has PB&J packed for his school lunch every blessed day.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

On 11/29/2021 at 9:41 PM, PineSong said:

Me, too. It's a good thing I feed fish before my offspring is awake or I'm sure I'd get comments about how the fish eat better than we do. I feed two foods per meal and can go 4 or 5 days without repeating a food for the fish who aren't tiny fry. Meanwhile, my kid literally has PB&J packed for his school lunch every blessed day.

roger that! Ditto

• Haha 1

On 11/29/2021 at 7:41 PM, PineSong said:

It's a good thing I feed fish before my offspring is awake or I'm sure I'd get comments about how the fish eat better than we do

I definitely got this comment!

I took the kids to the fridge and pointed out all the vsriety. Then we went to the tank to look for opposable thumbs. I explained that I feed the fish a variety because they can't get what they need without opposable thumbs.

Yup, all my kids and foster kids had opposable thumbs!

Not too many complaints after that, because any complaint was immediately followed by a cooking lesson in least favorite foods😅

Whichever kid got the chores completed over the week *and* didn't complain over the course of the week, got to select a meal and have their own cooking lesson.  Fabulous deterrent for whining, and great incentive for completing chores.😅

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

On 12/1/2021 at 6:14 AM, Torrey said:

I definitely got this comment!

I took the kids to the fridge and pointed out all the vsriety. Then we went to the tank to look for opposable thumbs. I explained that I feed the fish a variety because they can't get what they need without opposable thumbs.

Yup, all my kids and foster kids had opposable thumbs!

Not too many complaints after that, because any complaint was immediately followed by a cooking lesson in least favorite foods😅

Whichever kid got the chores completed over the week *and* didn't complain over the course of the week, got to select a meal and have their own cooking lesson.  Fabulous deterrent for whining, and great incentive for completing chores.😅

^This is awesome^

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/22/2021 at 9:34 PM, PineSong said:

Very pretty! I especially like those blues. Why is it that you want to remove the wild-type genes from your mix? You don't want spots?

I want to favor the blue-cast of the large dominant male, and I want yo get more than less long-finned fish.

Here’s what I was able to get using a blue guppy/endler that was guppy trait dominant with long fins. And blue tail female guppies. I used only that one male. I did not take it far enough for them to breed true so I get random but these were the best ones I keep.  The top view they are a hair lighter shiny metallic blue. Of all the millions of pics I have I can’t find a real clear still. 🤣

FEAA3C50-1919-4B7B-92F7-9947DEB8D4D8.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I love this thread. You have the most fun projects! I have mutts that after a single cross have spots. Not sure if it's because of my Lyretail or if they've gone more "wild" type.

I'm not doing any more mutt project work until February; that way, when they're about 2 months old I can have outdoor tubs with minimal heat at night. Which will also be great for my garden and seed starts! Plants love those nitrates!

I look forward to seeing your next update!

• Thanks 1

On 12/26/2021 at 7:55 PM, Fish Folk said:

I may give to my LFS to sell as “feeder guppies.” Or feed to my ravenous Acaras…

Ah. Ty. I've been thinking that giving them to my LFS will be my solution. When do you make the call? I'm at 10 weeks on my oldest fry, most are decently colored up, but there are a few that are lagging, a mix of females and males. The longer I wait, the better the ones with color look, but I see minimal change. I've started really diversifying their food, daily, and I see more change, so I'm not sure where I should say "Ok you're food, sorry bro/mam".

I'm also a mom, and it kills me to knowingly sentence any child to death. I can smash gophers, mice, rats, oppsumes; tag deer, boar, turkey, quail. But give up on my little fishies.... nope. 🤣

• Like 1

On 12/26/2021 at 11:13 PM, Minanora said:

Ah. Ty. I've been thinking that giving them to my LFS will be my solution. When do you make the call? I'm at 10 weeks on my oldest fry, most are decently colored up, but there are a few that are lagging, a mix of females and males. The longer I wait, the better the ones with color look, but I see minimal change. I've started really diversifying their food, daily, and I see more change, so I'm not sure where I should say "Ok you're food, sorry bro/mam".

I'm also a mom, and it kills me to knowingly sentence any child to death. I can smash gophers, mice, rats, oppsumes; tag deer, boar, turkey, quail. But give up on my little fishies.... nope. 🤣

I totally understand how hard this sort of decision is. I’m a dad too. We’re blessed with three beautiful boys, and they’re so precious.

Culling is a very personal decision. It’s easier when you’re culling for health or if you have a tank to let culls go wild. I separated out 20+ wild-gene guppies dropped in my mutt guppy tank, and gave them to a kid we know. He was thrilled! Others I toss over in a full tank and just let go wild till I need them for food, for LFS feeder stocking, etc. And sometimes I feed to large fish. Keeps big fish healthy, and it’s nature’s way. I pull out sick fish or unwanted males as soon as I can tell they’re not the colors I want.  It takes at least 6x weeks for me to tell.

I’ve also found that varying their diet does wonders for their colors and development.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2021 at 6:34 AM, Fish Folk said:

I’ve also found that varying their diet does wonders for their colors and development.

I use a cheese grater for frozen bloodworms for the ones to little for the worm. I find when I do that they color up noticeably quicker. I also grind any frozen food and feed live bbs but the frozen bloodworms are what works for quick color in my kids. 

• Thanks 2
  • Love 1

On 12/27/2021 at 6:39 AM, Guppysnail said:

I use a cheese grater for frozen bloodworms for the ones to little for the worm. I find when I do that they color up noticeably quicker. I also grind any frozen food and feed live bbs but the frozen bloodworms are what works for quick color in my kids. 

Awesome tip! I’m so stealing this…

• Like 1

On 12/27/2021 at 3:39 AM, Guppysnail said:

This is genius. I'm also going to try this. I recently had a baby die because he choked on a bloodworm... I was shocked. Vacuumed out all the rest right after that.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2021 at 3:34 AM, Fish Folk said:

I totally understand how hard this sort of decision is. I’m a dad too. We’re blessed with three beautiful boys, and they’re so precious.

Culling is a very personal decision. It’s easier when you’re culling for health or if you have a tank to let culls go wild. I separated out 20+ wild-gene guppies dropped in my mutt guppy tank, and gave them to a kid we know. He was thrilled! Others I toss over in a full tank and just let go wild till I need them for food, for LFS feeder stocking, etc. And sometimes I feed to large fish. Keeps big fish healthy, and it’s nature’s way. I pull out sick fish or unwanted males as soon as I can tell they’re not the colors I want.  It takes at least 6x weeks for me to tell.

I dig it. I can hardly wait to have my outdoor tubs to help.

I had one with a curved spine, tried to put her to sleep... I'm sure I just got her drunk instead. I had to put her back in the tank. Not sure if she made it after that, I haven't seen one with a curved spine since though.