Low-Expectation Guppy Startup

Fish Folk

On 8/16/2021 at 11:13 PM, PineSong said:

That was fast! Eight new females will make you quite the fry farmers.

Yeah! These were dropped by gravid females. No way these males sired fry in just a few days. Female Guppies will retain milt, and continue dropping fry regularly. No telling what the genetics will be for a while. 

On 8/16/2021 at 11:15 PM, Fish Folk said:

Yeah! These were dropped by gravid females. No way these males sired fry in just a few days. Female Guppies will retain milt, and continue dropping fry regularly. No telling what the genetics will be for a while. 

Oh, I knew it wasn't your current males siring the fry. But still, you have fry!

I've had three female platies in QT for 3.5 weeks (they came from a tank with males) and have crammed the tank with guppy grass, but no fry yet. What are the odds?

I’ve moved the sick male guppy to a 2.5 gal tank that’s been sitting awhile with sponge filter going and Java moss.

8BD3F34E-D4AC-458E-B215-58F311AC44CF.jpeg.6123a84c095e94537538aeab4734f686.jpeg

I do feel a tad like an Army medic, throwing last ditch meds on a wounded soldier. I gave a portion of General Cure, Erythromycin, and Ich-X. If he survives, it’s a miracle.

For good measure, since all I’ve seen is apparent parasitic illness, I’ve hit the 20 gal tank with General Cure.

6CCCD80A-36F1-4DF6-B437-88C540C669EE.jpeg.557148aa9dcd26c807bb7cb295db4818.jpeg

Had a long conversation with my LFS Owner this week about why Guppies are so weak nowadays. We need to _at least_ get back to the days when you could go to Walmart and buy a dozen fancy guppies that were virtually bulletproof. Neon Tetras and Guppies have lost their resilience. 

• Like 4

On 8/19/2021 at 7:37 AM, Fish Folk said:

. . . Had a long conversation with my LFS Owner this week about why Guppies are so weak nowadays. We need to _at least_ get back to the days when you could go to Walmart and buy a dozen fancy guppies that were virtually bulletproof. Neon Tetras and Guppies have lost their resilience. 

So have dwarf gouramis, unless they never had much to begin with.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2021 at 8:37 AM, Fish Folk said:

Had a long conversation with my LFS Owner this week about why Guppies are so weak nowadays. We need to _at least_ get back to the days when you could go to Walmart and buy a dozen fancy guppies that were virtually bulletproof. Neon Tetras and Guppies have lost their resilience. 

I agree! Sadly, I know the army medic feeling too well. I have had terrible luck with guppies to the point where I've wanted to throw in the towel.

I think in all my years of keeping  fantail goldfish, I only ever lost one in QT and he was a sickly guy I brought home so mayyyybe he wouldn't die in the store.  Since July I've lost 13 guppies in QT and retained four Endlers and 2 moscows.  I have 5 random guppies in QT right now and if they don't thrive I'm going to move to plan B and just try swordtails.

Edited by PineSong
swordtails, not swordfish! I don't have that large a tank!
  • Like 2

Guppy fry and adults all enjoy a feast of live BBS today. At least 6x fry have been counted. We are allowing the colony to grow for now without separation of fry from adults. May the strong survive!

The fry dropped by females in QT tank continue to grow. At least 16x fry enjoy BBS today.

On 8/21/2021 at 11:51 AM, Fish Folk said:

Guppy fry and adults all enjoy a feast of live BBS today. At least 6x fry have been counted. We are allowing the colony to grow for now without separation of fry from adults. May the strong survive!

The fry dropped by females in QT tank continue to grow. At least 16x fry enjoy BBS today.

That second tank with the 16 fry....you are severely lacking in filtration.... I would add a few more sponge filters sir!!!🤣

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

I am pretty envious! I have really been dazzled by some of the photos online of people's mutt results and especially some of the folks' who raised them in the sunshine--really brilliant colors then.

I was thinking about trying to breed some in my window tank, starting with just blonde-bodied varieties to see what happens, but my tank needs some age on it first so there will be more plant cover and infusoria. The one female guppy I have is a clear yellow girl, I think she would have pretty babies.

• Like 3