Low-Expectation Guppy Startup

Fish Folk

On 2/25/2022 at 6:18 AM, PineSong said:

Pretty colors. Some of my male mutts have pretty mixes of color that I don’t see in “official” strains so I wonder if they are just color combos that don’t stabilize well genetically.

Yes, I think you’re right on. I suspect the adult males and adult females came from two separate lines. Crossing them is reshaking the genetic puzzle pieces.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Oooh, I was so happy to have an update! I like your method and think that the fact that not every male develops the same way makes it more fun...those long flowy guys are more special that way! i love those autumn colors, too. Thank you for the progress post.

Having moved most all guppies outside now, I thought I’d show how they’re coloring up in summer tubs. I’ve used cycled water from inside to display them, since tub water is totally green-water.

Here are the Snakeskin…

Here are the “Mutt Guppies”…

• Love 2

On 6/11/2022 at 8:53 PM, PineSong said:

They look great. My pond guys are unbelievable right now—so much more colorful than before and lots of rainbow colors like green, pink and purple that are not evident at all in their indoor siblings.

I have a lot of questions . . . maybe I'll learn answers. I wonder if the added vitamin D from sunlight helps them absorb other chemicals, just like with mammals, vitamin D regulate the absorption of calcium. You cannot, for example, add calcium to your diet by drinking more milk or taking more calcium tablets. However, you can absorb _some_ more up to a threshold point with vitamin D, as I understand it. Could this be in effect with Guppies? And might this help to explain why adding crushed coral helps them in an inside environment, where outside they are perfectly healthy in very soft rainwater without crushed coral? Maybe the hardness uptake is the same, it's just that in sunlight, they're able to absorb it more? Just an uneducated question. Maybe there's better explanations.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 6/11/2022 at 7:23 PM, Fish Folk said:

I have a lot of questions . . . maybe I'll learn answers. I wonder if the added vitamin D from sunlight helps them absorb other chemicals, just like with mammals, vitamin D regulate the absorption of calcium. You cannot, for example, add calcium to your diet by drinking more milk or taking more calcium tablets. However, you can absorb _some_ more up to a threshold point with vitamin D, as I understand it. Could this be in effect with Guppies? And might this help to explain why adding crushed coral helps them in an inside environment, where outside they are perfectly healthy in very soft rainwater without crushed coral? Maybe the hardness uptake is the same, it's just that in sunlight, they're able to absorb it more? Just an uneducated question. Maybe there's better explanations.

I can tell you that sturgeon raised indoors for years are much paler, feel softer, and develope curled and deformed fins compared to sturgeon raised outdoors which look like normal wild sturgeon. Same genetics and everything.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...