Low-Expectation Guppy Startup

Fish Folk

Seems my cheap “stable” heater for the bottom, floor-level 10-gal snakeskin Guppies has konked out. This leaves the water at or lower than 68°-F. Not impossible for Guppies, but definitely not conducive for breeding.

I’m water changing this morning, and replacing with a 50-W Eheim heater set to ca. 79°-F. Hoping to see more fry in a month.

FC33CB5A-851A-45F1-BBAF-1CBBD743CD78.jpeg.438c536cc9d6cd1dd2629f8281de4651.jpeg

On 1/4/2022 at 8:42 AM, Fish Folk said:

Seems my cheap “stable” heater for the bottom, floor-level 10-gal snakeskin Guppies has konked out. This leaves the water at or lower than 68°-F. Not impossible for Guppies, but definitely not conducive for breeding.

This is why I removed two heaters yesterday and today. Hoping the cooler water slows down production without making anyone sick.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 7:49 PM, Fish Folk said:

You might also consider pulling back the feeding a little bit because the lower temperature decreases metabolism. 

I am trying.so.hard. to decrease feeding. There are so many signs that I need to--snailpocalypse, obese fish, and duckweed out the wazoo. I may need to attend meetings for compulsive overfeeders. I'm gonna aim for 1x per day per tank and skip one day per week. I'll just try to not look over there and see them begging the rest of the day.

• Haha 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/2/2022 at 7:53 PM, PineSong said:

That's great! The colors are sharp and I really like that guy with the bright colored and large dorsal fin. How are you selling them? To your LFS or to individuals? 

Thanks! I’m doing a bit of both. LFS, and when people reach out by e-mail. I’ve been successful shipping via USPS Priority Mail.

• Like 2

On 1/6/2022 at 5:57 PM, PineSong said:

I am trying.so.hard. to decrease feeding. There are so many signs that I need to--snailpocalypse, obese fish, and duckweed out the wazoo. I may need to attend meetings for compulsive overfeeders. I'm gonna aim for 1x per day per tank and skip one day per week. I'll just try to not look over there and see them begging the rest of the day.

I can't decrease feeding, or my spouse's favorite snail starts getting swarmed by endlers. The endler tank ranges from 68° to 72° and nobody told them about the slower metabolism 😒

If I do not feed 3x a day, the females start playing tug of war with the snails, and decide gonopodiums are actually their own food group😳

I've just accepted that I have a nearly carnivorous tank, lol.

But they don't eat their babies🤷‍♂️

• Haha 2

On 2/12/2022 at 12:42 AM, Torrey said:

I can't decrease feeding, or my spouse's favorite snail starts getting swarmed by endlers. The endler tank ranges from 68° to 72° and nobody told them about the slower metabolism 😒

If I do not feed 3x a day, the females start playing tug of war with the snails, and decide gonopodiums are actually their own food group😳

I've just accepted that I have a nearly carnivorous tank, lol.

But they don't eat their babies🤷‍♂️

Oh my on the gonopodiums! My male mollies are being bullied relentlessly this morning by adolescent male guppies and I think it's because I did not feed last night due to power outage. They aren't in their carb comas and they are ready to rumble.

• Haha 4

On 2/12/2022 at 5:50 AM, PineSong said:

Oh my on the gonopodiums! My male mollies are being bullied relentlessly this morning by adolescent male guppies and I think it's because I did not feed last night due to power outage. They aren't in their carb comas and they are ready to rumble.

ORD🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1