Dean’s Fishroom

1 hour ago, Cory said:

The hatch rate is really good. However I would use up what you have since they are free.

Thanks Cory, I didn’t know if there was such a  difference in stock that it warranted me to pitch my current plastic container and start new.  I just will have to wait now to experience  the great product.  Also it is noted you did not do the up sell and had the best interest of your “public” in mind.  Thank you.

Ted

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Tedrock said:

Thanks Cory, I didn’t know if there was such a  difference in stock that it warranted me to pitch my current plastic container and start new.  I just will have to wait now to experience  the great product.  Also it is noted you did not do the up sell and had the best interest of your “public” in mind.  Thank you.

Ted

Well without knowing your eggs. Likely it's something like this. lets say your current eggs hatch out at 75%. Our eggs hatch out at 90-95%. For the average home hobbyist the extra 20% probably isn't worth paying more for when you have eggs in hand already. As a fish breeder, that may cut down on time to feed etc, it might make sense. However I personally always try and use up what I have before buying new. Going forward I would recommend ours. However until then, likely your eggs are just fine for your needs. If you're getting like 50% or lower hatch rates, your time is probably worth enough to try ours then but those would be some really bad or old eggs if the hatch was that low.

For me it is like trying out the “new” food everyone is raving about.  I have a good name brand product now and I have breeding colonies.  It is just going to be a a couple of months to go through the stock I have.  I have multiple tank syndrome as I have moved to breeding fish for a local fish store (yes!) guppies, endlers, and rice fish (non heated) tanks because I live in New England and electricity is way expensive.  So you see the dilemma is, keep spending money to better my product or just use what I have and save the cash.  Will the Co-op brand make a big difference that I should make the switch right now for the retail market?

Edited by Tedrock

• 1 month later...

I've been making these every day for a while, following the instructions in the great video by @Irene. I made a couple of minor adjustments:

1. I don't know if this is true, but an experienced breeder said he finds it better if the salt melts before starting, so I put the salt in a cup and add a small bit of really hot water to melt it before adding it. 

2. The SF bay site, who also sells the eggs, gave the range of salt needed for hatching, and they claim that the eggs hatch better at the lower end of the range, so I use exactly 1 tablespoon, instead of 1 2/3 - 2. I am pretty sure I noticed a difference, but would have to repeat to confirm.

3. I add half the water, then the eggs. I leave it like this while I clean up, then add the rest of the water and cover with the light. Lets them get water logged without me needing to stick my fingers in and push them back down 🙂.  The 40 watt bulb right over the top keeps the temperature right at 80 degrees. 

4. When draining the BBS, I point the light at the very bottom, and put a towel over the top of the bottle to block out all light except the very bottom. I did this after seeing Dean shine the light at the very bottom in a dark room. I think it helps. Leave it about 5 minutes, then drain until it runs clear. Leaving it covered and light still positioned, you can let more collect at the bottom and drain again after a minute or so.

Edited by Bill
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hello, I was looking at the website and saw this and the instant baby brine jar.  Does anyone know anything about the instant baby brine, are they alive, is it mor like frozen or freeze dried?  I’m just getting into the hobby and unfortunately I don’t have a lot of time or resources to be able to get a whole set up to hatch my own right now.  Thank you very much.

On 9/23/2020 at 8:07 PM, Streetwise said:

How many gallons should you be running to make doing brine shrimp with the hatchery practical?

I hatch a teaspoon at a time and I usually get two separate feedings out of that. 6 tanks 120, 40B, 2-20L,10 & 5 gallon. Everything from adult Discus to Peacock Gudgens loves some BBS.

On 10/8/2020 at 2:26 PM, Tedrock said:

For me it is like trying out the “new” food everyone is raving about.  I have a good name brand product now and I have breeding colonies.  It is just going to be a a couple of months to go through the stock I have.  I have multiple tank syndrome as I have moved to breeding fish for a local fish store (yes!) guppies, endlers, and rice fish (non heated) tanks because I live in New England and electricity is way expensive.  So you see the dilemma is, keep spending money to better my product or just use what I have and save the cash.  Will the Co-op brand make a big difference that I should make the switch right now for the retail market?

Two observations about the CoOp BBS. After using two other well known brands the CoOp BBS hatch for me about 6-8 hours quicker and the hatch rate is higher. I use the the same hatching procedure as I did before 1 lt cold water 1 tbsp aquarium salt, a good pinch of baking soda, & 1 tsp BBS cysts then turn on the bubbles and let it rip. Within 24 hrs they're ready to go.

My eggs are on order and on the way. Two questions....

1. I have a tank at home and a tank at work, which is a 35 minute drive. If I hatch them at home, what will be the best way to get them to work in good condition?

2. With only two small tanks, is freezing the best alternative for leftovers?

So I watched @Irene video on hatching BBS. She mentioned that you can store leftovers in the fridge and they will live a couple more days. I will try that, but I noticed she didn't put a lid on it, maybe that helps keep them oxygenated.

As far as transporting to work, I guess I can simply put them in a tupperware container and they should be fine. If they can live in the fridge then they should be fine for a little car ride.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rdaled said:

My eggs are on order and on the way. Two questions....

1. I have a tank at home and a tank at work, which is a 35 minute drive. If I hatch them at home, what will be the best way to get them to work in good condition?

2. With only two small tanks, is freezing the best alternative for leftovers?

I would just put whatever you want to take to your work tank in a small plastic container and take to feed. As long as it isn't exposed to extreme temp swings and left in the container for more than several hours I'd think you would be fine.

You can freeze any left overs, I have a silicone ice cube tray that I got at a dollar store, makes cubes about the same size as the frozen fish foods come in, I just put my leftover BBS in there and pop in the freezer. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Andy's Fish Den said:

I would just put whatever you want to take to your work tank in a small plastic container and take to feed. As long as it isn't exposed to extreme temp swings and left in the container for more than several hours I'd think you would be fine.

You can freeze any left overs, I have a silicone ice cube tray that I got at a dollar store, makes cubes about the same size as the frozen fish foods come in, I just put my leftover BBS in there and pop in the freezer. 

Thanks @Andy's Fish Den I'll have to look for a cube tray.

How long do these eggs keep in the freezer? I use like 3/16 tsp every other day in a basic round plastic hatcher, and really I need two of these so my fish get them every day. Having the bigger hatchery setup would be great, but its not economical right now until I get a lot more fish. I got the teeny non-Coop brand from the Coop, which is almost gone now, plus a bottle from the brine shrimp place that sold the hatcher, but will need more before too long!

5 hours ago, rdaled said:

So I watched @Irene video on hatching BBS. She mentioned that you can store leftovers in the fridge and they will live a couple more days. I will try that, but I noticed she didn't put a lid on it, maybe that helps keep them oxygenated.

I do put a lid on it, just so my family members won't accidentally knock it over and spill all over my fridge. 😛

Might be a dumb question, but is it possible to keep a live culture going with these? I have only one tank currently and am not sure I can use up all the BBS. I see the suggestion to freeze leftovers but I'm curious if how long these can live, or if I can do anything to extend their lifespan. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...