Dean’s Fishroom

Hey Everyone, This may sound like a bit of a commercial, and it probably is. However, Aquarium Co-op now has their new Brine Shrimp Eggs in stock.  So over the years I've used tons of brine shrimp eggs going back over 50 years. I'm fairly picky about how I select the products that I use and I had warned Cory and Randy that it would take a really good brine shrimp egg to get me to use them. A disclosure, I did do some early testing of these eggs over a month of daily use before the Co-op team had even figured out how to get them packaged and in stock. 

So they are available on the Co-op site now https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/breeding-supplies/products/aquarium-co-op-brine-shrimp-eggs

I just wanted to let everybody here some positives that I've found with these eggs.
They have a really really good hatch rate, right up with the best I've used in the past. 
They are packaged in a 3.5 oz/100 gram can and are quadruple sealed for maximum freshness.
This size package makes really good sense for the majority of hobbyist, not a tiny amount like the little .2 oz vial, and you don't have to purchase a large one pound can to get quality eggs. 
The separation once hatched is the best I've ever seen. This is for me probably the number one reason to use these eggs, it's a huge time saver and just makes everything with daily hatching of brine shrimp easier. 

So there you go, it's my commercial, but it is for a really good reason.....

1027047183_BSGlass.JPG.6d7a2b6ef657793c852d4607903a0ecd.JPGDid I mention the new Aquarium Co-op Brine Shrimp Eggs have a really good hatch rate and the separation once hatched is the best I've ever seen?

605252632_BScan.JPG.4b8c28e0a11e8d504fb5564d04e19d5c.JPG

• Like 11
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, Dean’s Fishroom said:

Hey Everyone, This may sound like a bit of a commercial, and it probably is. However, Aquarium Co-op now has their new Brine Shrimp Eggs in stock.  So over the years I've used tons of brine shrimp eggs going back over 50 years. I'm fairly picky about how I select the products that I use and I had warned Cory and Randy that it would take a really good brine shrimp egg to get me to use them. A disclosure, I did do some early testing of these eggs over a month of daily use before the Co-op team had even figured out how to get them packaged and in stock. 

So they are available on the Co-op site now https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/breeding-supplies/products/aquarium-co-op-brine-shrimp-eggs

I just wanted to let everybody here some positives that I've found with these eggs.
They have a really really good hatch rate, right up with the best I've used in the past. 
They are packaged in a 3.5 oz/100 gram can and are quadruple sealed for maximum freshness.
This size package makes really good sense for the majority of hobbyist, not a tiny amount like the little .2 oz vial, and you don't have to purchase a large one pound can to get quality eggs. 
The separation once hatched is the best I've ever seen. This is for me probably the number one reason to use these eggs, it's a huge time saver and just makes everything with daily hatching of brine shrimp easier. 

1027047183_BSGlass.JPG.6d7a2b6ef657793c852d4607903a0ecd.JPGDid I mention the new Aquarium Co-op Brine Shrimp Eggs have a really good hatch rate and the separation once hatched is the best I've ever seen?

Just in time I’m running out. 

10 minutes ago, Ben_RF said:

This I know is a dumb question, but what common adult fishes eat baby brine or is it just a fry thing?  Like tetras? Bettas? Gouramis?  I have been fish keeping since the 90s and I honestly just don't know. 

Surprisingly large fish will eat baby brine. Adult tetras, mollies, ect will.

Just put in my order for the eggs.

• Like 2

All my fish from adult Discus to Pencilfish go nuts for bbs, it’s like they’ve never eaten before. I don’t know if it’s coincidence but some of my Discus started spawning right after I started feeding bbs.  

Edited by Paul
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Dean’s Fishroom said:

@Cory 

Is there an ETA for the fritz marine salt?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brian K said:

@Cory 

You don't have to use marine salt for bbs. You can also use any rock salt too as long as it's 100% rock salt. That is all freshwater aquarium salt is. You can use the Fritz salt the Coop already sells or you can buy giant bags at a big box store for $5 but they don't run as clean.

• Like 1

I get enjoyment from feeding my fish a ton of different foods and have some pretty bad collector-itis, so I feed BBS. I can't think of a single instance where BBS is a requirement instead of just an option. Is it the best food for a lot of fish? Yes. Do those same fish need it to thrive? No.

1 hour ago, yannachka said:

if i only have one tank that would really benefit from bbs, would you go through the hassle of hatching them? im limited in space and time so im trying to decide if it is worth it for one tank. 

Honestly, the only reason I hatch baby brine daily is because I'm growing out live bearers in a 10, 20, and 40 gallon tank. I personally wouldn't do it nearly as often if I had only display tanks with mostly adult fish. My LFS sells frozen BBS, so I'd use that for nano fish and larger frozen brine for the most part. 

But for feeding my platy, guppy, and endler fry, it's worth hatching them every day. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StephenP2003 said:

Honestly, the only reason I hatch baby brine daily is because I'm growing out live bearers in a 10, 20, and 40 gallon tank. I personally wouldn't do it nearly as often if I had only display tanks with mostly adult fish. My LFS sells frozen BBS, so I'd use that for nano fish and larger frozen brine for the most part. 

But for feeding my platy, guppy, and endler fry, it's worth hatching them every day. 

i do feed frozen bbs and other nano frozen foods like cyclops to that tank. i also feed golden pearls, not quite the same but it stays in the water column and most fish ive tried it on love it. i may set up a large mason jar for bbs by the window just for fun, ive been wanting to get back into live daphnia as well. 

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Brian K said:

@Cory 

Currently not. There is a big problem with pricing essentially. Fritz is allowing a big box retailer to gut the price. They are in talks with them.. but it's been going on for like 2+ months now. They claim covid is slowing things down. Not really sure how it slows down emails?

• Administrators
2 hours ago, yannachka said:

if i only have one tank that would really benefit from bbs, would you go through the hassle of hatching them? im limited in space and time so im trying to decide if it is worth it for one tank. 

I'd do it every once in a while, but I think I'd be too lazy to hatch it more than a couple times a month for only 1 tank. But it's rewarding to watch the fish go nuts for it. Also if you have any family that come by, I start the hatch the day before so they can see sea monkies with a magnifying glass, and they LOVE to feed them to fish.

2 hours ago, yannachka said:

I have 4 active and 1 quarantine tank. I hatch 1ltr/qt of BBS roughly 3x a week. I get 2 feedings from the resulting hatch.

• Administrators

I realize I sell this product, so take that with a grain of salt. But a portion of people also hatch brine like on once a week in a big batch, then freeze the rest in cube to feed to their tanks. Not exactly cheaper, but does some double duty. 

5 hours ago, pedrofisk said:

You don't have to use marine salt for bbs. You can also use any rock salt too as long as it's 100% rock salt. That is all freshwater aquarium salt is. You can use the Fritz salt the Coop already sells or you can buy giant bags at a big box store for $5 but they don't run as clean.

Yes, I am aware of this. Honestly you can even use your morton table salt or any salt that is non-iodized, which I have a couple of times when I was out of my aquarium salt. The reason I would use marine salt is for the minerals that would be added to my planted tanks when feeding and the possibility that the bbs uptake some of the minerals which in turn benefits the fish. 

Edited by Brian K
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Cory said:

I'd do it every once in a while, but I think I'd be too lazy to hatch it more than a couple times a month for only 1 tank. But it's rewarding to watch the fish go nuts for it. Also if you have any family that come by, I start the hatch the day before so they can see sea monkies with a magnifying glass, and they LOVE to feed them to fish.

that’s how i feel, although i may set up a large jar in the window for some just for fun. maybe i need to get back into breeding so i have an excuse to hatch them 😂

On 9/21/2020 at 2:57 PM, Cory said:

I realize I sell this product, so take that with a grain of salt. But a portion of people also hatch brine like on once a week in a big batch, then freeze the rest in cube to feed to their tanks. Not exactly cheaper, but does some double duty. 

I think freezing your own BBS is a great option. I keep a tray of frozen BBS to have for extra treats, if for whatever reason I screw up a hatch or if I have critical need for it when I didn't already have a hatch going.

Edit - Or I run out because I held off ordering eggs in hopes of Aquarium Co-op releasing their own BBS product to order! Which I did order the moment they came out but I think I am going to end up with a one or two day gap between running out of the old and getting the new. #firstworldproblems

Edited by pedrofisk
  • Like 2