Dean’s Fishroom

So with BBS can I more or less feed all I want of them and they kinda live in the tank till eaten? I'm not sure if over feeding with em would cause a ammonia spike. I have always  found feeding correctly to be one of the great  mysteries of fish keeping! Basically i just throw what I think is the right amount in couple times a day haha

10 hours ago, Ben Ellison said:

So with BBS can I more or less feed all I want of them and they kinda live in the tank till eaten? I'm not sure if over feeding with em would cause a ammonia spike. I have always  found feeding correctly to be one of the great  mysteries of fish keeping! Basically i just throw what I think is the right amount in couple times a day haha

They will die off in the fresh water in less than a day if not eaten. I've never tried to time it but I am sure it's under 12 hours. However they are so tiny I doubt you'd get an ammonia spike unless you overfeed a lot and go too long without a water change.

Baby brine shrimp are the most democratic food. Not matter how pushy and aggressive the biggest, quickest fish are, with baby brine shrimp all have a chance to eat from the table.

One of the reasons baby brine shrimp are so good for fry besides nutrition is that no fish can quickly gobble up the diffuse wiggly manna wafting through water. Like Lake Wobegone all baby fish are above average when it comes to feeding time with baby brine shrimp.

• Like 4

If you feed live baby brine and you are attempting to breed fish your success with everything increases. Spawns, fry raising, growth rate. I’ve used different worm cultures and nothing is as easy as bbs. One worth mentioning is vinegar ells. But That’s really for super tiny fry like rainbows. @Cory has said it a million times in his videos bbs is magic and will change everything for you.

• Administrators

I believe live baby brine can live up to like 8 hours in freshwater. The problem becomes if they fish haven't eaten them all they usually get sucked into filtration long before they die of the freshwater shock. Another reason I like sponge filters over power filters especially in my breeding tanks as they don't gobble up my brine shrimp 😛

• Administrators
43 minutes ago, Ben Ellison said:

Is there a time limit from hatch to feed where the benefits fall off? Also how long can they love period after hatching before they need to be fed ? Brine shrimp and co2 are the two items I knownthe least about, but really  want to get into and learn.

Technically every hour after they've hatched they are becoming "less" nutritious. However it's like going from 100% to 92%. Still amazing good. 

As for how long can they live? If you have low egg count and lots of water, a few days in the hatcher. So maybe like half a teaspoon of eggs, in 2 liters of water, Where when I do 2 tablespoons in 2 liters, if I forget to harvest by like 6-10 hours, The water fouls ands kills them all. 

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, Streetwise said:

How many gallons should you be running to make doing brine shrimp with the hatchery practical?

I myself have done it even with just one tank that needed it. However I look at having a hatchery as something I'll use forever. You can harvest just a few eggs or a bunch depending on your need. 

I've been through phases where a can of eggs last me a few weeks, and times where it's lasted me years. Just depends on how much I'm trying to breed.

First hatch with these eggs. I expected them to be slightly better or same as the best "small batch" eggs I've ordered elsewhere. Nope. These put everything else I've tried to shame.

I'm used to a clump of unhatched sludge at the bottom even though I only do a teaspoon a day. This is basically a flawless hatch. 

IMG_20200924_170519.jpg

IMG_20200924_170543.jpg

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Ben Ellison said:

What does separation  refer to?

Separation is when the shells (brown and look like forbidden cinnamon) float to the top and the shrimp go to the bottom (usually because we're shining a light there that they're attracted to).

My first batch hatched today and it is a LIFESAVER for the angels that I just got in. They've only really pecked at Easy Fry Food/Hikari First Bites/ground up Xtreme Krill Flakes and two have died (one when my oxygen levels plummeted suddenly, one unknown cause of death within 2 hours of acclimation) and it's been very stressful for me since I want to make sure that they're able to get enough food in their bellies while they're quarantining.

I hatch my brine shrimp in a modified 32 oz deli container and it's hyper low-tech but works just fine. I'm really glad that Cory managed to get these through the FDA.

.3tsp eggs tested and the hatch rate and separation did appear to be better than what I have been using. I will be tempted to run through my old stock extra quickly. Ty Co-op.

On a side note, under to Co-op website brine shrimp description it reads, "100 gram sized container is meant for most hobbyists level aquarists."

Wondering if it should read "The 100 gram sized container is meant for most hobby level aquarists."

9 hours ago, Tetra Guy said:

Gonna order this!   I checked the Co-op for a brine shrimp sieve or net, didn't find.  Where can I get a good larger size one, like Dean uses?   TIA!  

Dean uses an old Nuova brand sieve, I'm not sure if they are still around but it looks like the Hobby Artemia Sieve is identical. I use the Ziss BS sieve SF-1 .1mm.

I'm not sure how available those are but a .1mm sieve with stainless mesh is what you need.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TheDukeAnumber1 said:

.3tsp eggs tested and the hatch rate and separation did appear to be better than what I have been using. I will be tempted to run through my old stock extra quickly. Ty Co-op.

On a side note, under to Co-op website brine shrimp description it reads, "100 gram sized container is meant for most hobbyists level aquarists."

Wondering if it should read "The 100 gram sized container is meant for most hobby level aquarists."

I've had the urge to correct the descriptions on a number of their product listings, but I didn't want to be THAT guy!

• Haha 3

• Administrators
21 hours ago, TheDukeAnumber1 said:

Fixed 😉

• Administrators
4 hours ago, StephenP2003 said:

I've had the urge to correct the descriptions on a number of their product listings, but I didn't want to be THAT guy!

We welcome the help, a quick email, gets added to my todo list and I usually get changes done within 24 hours. I have to write the technical stuff for products, and then code all the custom stuff for them. It's a few other people's job's to proof what I've written.  Past few weeks have been crazy, one person was out of town, one person is on Jury Duty, and the other was filling in lol. I'm also known to break grammar and such with edits. 

Originally it had started, the 100 gram container with small sized measuring spoon is meant for a hobbyist level aquarist. Once we found out they arrived with the mistake of missing spoons, I had to make the edit quickly and clearly pulled a Cory 😛

• Administrators

As for something to strain the brine shrimp, we are slowly working on that as well. I'd say part of our process is pretty slow testing out lots of things to find out what the best is. Then making it better if we need to.  Dean and I have been talking and we'll be working on some more testing and eventually we'll have a good solution to go with our eggs.