Dean’s Fishroom

On 9/20/2020 at 4:47 PM, Dean’s Fishroom said:

Hey Everyone, This may sound like a bit of a commercial, and it probably is. However, Aquarium Co-op now has their new Brine Shrimp Eggs in stock.  So over the years I've used tons of brine shrimp eggs going back over 50 years. I'm fairly picky about how I select the products that I use and I had warned Cory and Randy that it would take a really good brine shrimp egg to get me to use them. A disclosure, I did do some early testing of these eggs over a month of daily use before the Co-op team had even figured out how to get them packaged and in stock. 

So they are available on the Co-op site now https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/breeding-supplies/products/aquarium-co-op-brine-shrimp-eggs

I just wanted to let everybody here some positives that I've found with these eggs.
They have a really really good hatch rate, right up with the best I've used in the past. 
They are packaged in a 3.5 oz/100 gram can and are quadruple sealed for maximum freshness.
This size package makes really good sense for the majority of hobbyist, not a tiny amount like the little .2 oz vial, and you don't have to purchase a large one pound can to get quality eggs. 
The separation once hatched is the best I've ever seen. This is for me probably the number one reason to use these eggs, it's a huge time saver and just makes everything with daily hatching of brine shrimp easier. 

So there you go, it's my commercial, but it is for a really good reason.....

1027047183_BSGlass.JPG.6d7a2b6ef657793c852d4607903a0ecd.JPGDid I mention the new Aquarium Co-op Brine Shrimp Eggs have a really good hatch rate and the separation once hatched is the best I've ever seen?

605252632_BScan.JPG.4b8c28e0a11e8d504fb5564d04e19d5c.JPG

How many spoons for the ziss brine shrimp hatchery do you use ?

On 9/21/2020 at 11:57 AM, Cory said:

I realize I sell this product, so take that with a grain of salt. But a portion of people also hatch brine like on once a week in a big batch, then freeze the rest in cube to feed to their tanks. Not exactly cheaper, but does some double duty. 

Cory if you use tap water to hatch bbs and then freeze the left over would there be any chlorine or chloramine left to cause damage to the guppy fry and parents ?

2 minutes ago, Cory said:

Chlorine would dissipate out. Chloramine im not sure. You could always rinse the brine and use dechlorinator day tap water to mix with to freeze.

Awesome thanks cory get my order in today with the bbs eggs as soon as I finish what I have left will be using it can’t wait:)

1 hour ago, Leo2o915 said:

Cory if you use tap water to hatch bbs and then freeze the left over would there be any chlorine or chloramine left to cause damage to the guppy fry and parents ?

I have chloramine tap water in the 1-2 ppm range, and I use it to rinse the baby brine, freeze them, and mix with them when feeding fresh and dividing among tanks. I also use it to make repashy. In these cases it's never more than a few ounces of water being divided among 3 tanks, no issues so far in several months. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StephenP2003 said:

I have chloramine tap water in the 1-2 ppm range, and I use it to rinse the baby brine, freeze them, and mix with them when feeding fresh and dividing among tanks. I also use it to make repashy. In these cases it's never more than a few ounces of water being divided among 3 tanks, no issues so far in several months. 

Awesome thanks 

On 10/1/2020 at 1:37 PM, Leo2o915 said:

How many spoons for the ziss brine shrimp hatchery do you use ?

I'm currently using two teaspoons each batch, but I believe Cory uses up to a full tablespoon.  I find that anything over two teaspoons for me is quite messy and more importantly I need to harvest within 24 hours since I have tons of fry at the moment.  I think if you go up to a tablespoon then Cory suggests waiting until 30 or so hours I think.  Not sure, but that's my 2 cents!

• Like 1

Big thank you to @Irene for her YouTube video on hatching the eggs with the SF tray. I'm lazy by nature, but this method was extremely easy and I'll definitely keep feeding the angel fry daily with these. I know you can keep the leftover in fridge for 48 hours, but for the amount I need making a batch for the day is no harder than making a pot of coffee every day. A decent LFS advised first bites and a few other things, saying hatching baby brine shrimp was messy and a hassle. They were wrong. I like being able to see the food supply swimming around the tank for a decent amount of time after a feeding.  

• Like 1

These are really good eggs! Going on 6 hatches, all with good success. I use the Ziss blender (that name????) with about 2 liters of water. Is there a minimum amount of eggs that need to be used for that amount of water? I don't need a huge amount of food and want to be able to use them all in two or three days. (I ask in case hatching eggs secrete a hormone or other chemical that trigger other eggs to hatch).

Edited by Gorsim

3 hours ago, Larrimore said:

I’m a newb (not to be confused with a nerm).  Just got these eggs and a hatchery.  Tried a hatch for the first time and had absolutely no problem.  Easy stuff and the fish are happy.

That’s good yeah fish go bananas fit bbs 

5 hours ago, Larrimore said:

I’m a newb (not to be confused with a nerm).  Just got these eggs and a hatchery.  Tried a hatch for the first time and had absolutely no problem.  Easy stuff and the fish are happy.

Always good to see first timers have success! 🙂

2 hours ago, JimmyGimbal said:

Always good to see first timers have success! 🙂

@JimmyGimbalHad a question about Aquahuna I ordered a L133 tiger pleco want to order another in hope of getting a pair is it best to wait til they get another shipment so it won’t be in breeding or what’s ur take on that with plecos? 

Getting this product to market was a very long journey with many ups and downs.  I couldn't be more thrilled with the reception these brine shrimp eggs have received so far.  For my own personal aquarist journey, I knew BBS was a vital component that I was missing in my fish room.  I bought premium eggs from the two main players available here in the US, but I was growing increasingly frustrated that I wasn't getting "clean" harvests.  I legitimately felt like I was doing something wrong with how I was hatching given how many shells were staying mixed in with my BBS.  Every time I hatched I would spend up to 30 minutes or so letting the BBS settle to remove floating eggs.  Then, some of the eggs end up settling to the bottom of the strainer/cup/whatever and can't be removed.

The first time I hatched out our samples I was blown away by the separation.  Seeing virtually NO eggs mixed in with the BBS was like looking upon a a glorious sunset!  And now, seeing all of you have the same results and reactions is just fantastic!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My first hatch! Reminds me of the platelets Caleb would get during chemo treatment, the nurses always said the more orange in color the better quality the platelets. I’m thinking the same goes with these eggs too! Look at that color! 

7A8251D2-373C-4221-B529-57EE2816C605.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Candi said:

My first hatch! Reminds me of the platelets Caleb would get during chemo treatment, the nurses always said the more orange in color the better quality the platelets. I’m thinking the same goes with these eggs too! Look at that color! 

7A8251D2-373C-4221-B529-57EE2816C605.jpeg

I thought I put too much in or messed something up the 1st time. So bright orange and soooooo many. The next batch was just as good, so now I use just one teaspoon and get what I used to get from 2. Well worth it and the fry love it, even the adults in the tanks with fry baskets go crazy for it.

It's funny watching a giant Venustus or Peacock hunting the tiny shrimps. 

• Like 2

On 10/5/2020 at 7:24 PM, Gorsim said:

These are really good eggs! Going on 6 hatches, all with good success. I use the Ziss blender (that name????) with about 2 liters of water. Is there a minimum amount of eggs that need to be used for that amount of water? I don't need a huge amount of food and want to be able to use them all in two or three days. (I ask in case hatching eggs secrete a hormone or other chemical that trigger other eggs to hatch).

Hi @Gorsim, I'm really not sure what the minimum is, I'm only about 1/2 liter and a teaspoon of eggs for now.  I use them in 24 hours then the next batch is ready. You may want to double check, I thought I remember hearing something about using them within 48 hours.

• Like 2

Ok, the question I need to ask is the Co-op BBS hatch rates far superior to the main brands out there? Looking at pictures it seems dramatically so.   I was waiting to purchase the Co-op BBS because I had a "large" container left that I planned to use up before I switched.  Now I really question waiting.  So what is the verdict?  Should I use up what I have or write off the remaining amount.  Please share your thoughts?

Many thanks,

Ted