Signature as Context

Streetwise

Besides the stuff about promotion, those are just my suggestions from being involved in forums for many years. I have edited the text a bit. Your catfish is cute!

On a previous audio/music production forum, we would list our computer, OS and version, music software in use, audio plugins, hardware, and style. With technical questions, it eliminated the back and forth phase of figuring out what someone's basic setup was.

• Like 5

Me three!!!

I was debating some ridiculous/moderately creepy ones... 🤣

I've probably read your journal...post. 🤓📓

Wannabe crypt keeper! 💀🌱

But I decided to keep it tame...signatures are definitely a fun place to show some personality! 😜👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On 6/18/2021 at 11:29 AM, quirkylemon103 said:

if I wanted to put something funny in signature how can I make it less intrusive? 

Your signature is your signature. You can do whatever you want with it. I beleive the point of the thread was to encourage people to include their linked journals, or what kind of tanks you keep in their signature.

You could always put your joke beneath your journals:

20 long hopefully jungle | My tanks/tubs | Welcome thread
PLACE YOUR JOKE HERE

Thanks for the tips. I have been wo during how to do it. Looked a few times but did not realize it was within a drop down menu in settings on my phone.

Question, how do I find the url for my journal? I thought I copied and pasted the right thing but it would not let me embed it. Thanks in advance. 

Hi @ErinV,

Here is how you make a journal link. Go to the first post of your journal, and click the three dots, and choose share. Copy the link that shows. Then go into your Signature, and select the text for Journal that you have, and click the link icon in the editing interface, the fifth icon from the left. Paste in the link that you copied earlier.

Here is the link to your journal:

https://forum.aquariumcoop.com/topic/5953-new-90-gallon-adventure/

Cheers

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/14/2021 at 9:23 PM, Streetwise said:

I changed my signature to a very small font, with two different blue colors, so it could fit in one line, or two on mobile.

I don't see any way to change font in any way. Either in signature or anywhere else for that matter.

On 11/5/2021 at 6:34 AM, Streetwise said:

@Ken, it looks like more formatting options are available on a computer than on my iPhone.

1853056131_ScreenShot2021-11-05at08_32_44.png.46307acf820d7f2f214041e008b10b42.png

I have no formatting options on my phone and only bulleted or numbered on my laptop. It doesn't really matter, I was mostly just curious.

• 5 months later...

I just figured out how to add links to my posts into my signature, so I wanted to share. I apologize if this info is already on here somewhere. I am using an Samsung phone, so this may not work for other devices. The text will apply to the picture above it.

Screenshot_20220412-135119_DuckDuckGo.jpg.40167df3c89619a5dfb18ded084667f1.jpg

Go to the activity you want to link. I have selected my post about my low maintenance 1 gallon jar.

image21.png.f3359e1ca6ef7e0a1bbac7584f423aeb.png

Hold the title until this menu pops up then select "Copy Link Address".

image17.png.e634275a598cad84f8f5f01b1f8b9bbb.png

Then go to your "Account" tab....

image18.png.b0fa4cec3fe88cb20e1d044847099c35.png

and select "Account Settings".

image19.png.e85423aeba638d7edd7a99641f6b9cb8.png

In your account settings expand "Settings Area".

image20.png.28b3b2e8e039ea571c95ee1392025235.png

Select "Signature".

image15.png.df4996437bb30d02f82435e7fe16faa7.png

Here is my signature with just the text "Returning fishkeeper blah blah blah". Put the cursor where you want the link to go (green circle) then select the link button (purple circle). 

Screenshot_20220412-135340_DuckDuckGo.jpg.110f611448cd61f89926f8964b61b7fe.jpg

This box will pop up. 

Screenshot_20220412-135448_DuckDuckGo.jpg.2a609d37e667a8f6a9c2438a4fcd45b2.jpg

Paste the link you copied earlier into the URL box and give it any name you want in the "Link text" box and hit the insert button.

Screenshot_20220412-135454_DuckDuckGo.jpg.b7a86ec7bf29ebe384d7b86d18bac8f8.jpg

Now the link will show up in your signature. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...

I realized that my signature links go back to the first post for each. This would be annoying for anyone who has already read anything. I tested adding this to my signature links, and it seems to work. It needs a ‘/‘ before it, which my links already had.

?do=getNewComment

Don’t quote me.

I was previously copying from the first post, which might be right for a FAQ, but not necessarily a journal.

In testing, I noticed that @R Budds documented how to copy those links! I just took a guess from the unread posts link.

I would recommend this edit for signatures.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2022 at 9:31 PM, Streetwise said:

I realized that my signature links go back to the first post for each. This would be annoying for anyone who has already read anything. I tested adding this to my signature links, and it seems to work. It needs a ‘/‘ before it, which my links already had.

?do=getNewComment

Don’t quote me.

I was previously copying from the first post, which might be right for a FAQ, but not necessarily a journal.

In testing, I noticed that @R Budds documented how to copy those links! I just took a guess from the unread posts link.

I would recommend this edit for signatures.

Am I understanding correctly that this would take each reader to only the new posts for them wherever in the thread that might be?  So how would I edit existing links?  Do I need to make new ones and replace the old links?

• Like 1